The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V-series focusing screens

anyone

Hi there,
I was wondering about upgrading my Hasselblad V focusing screen. The obvious choice would be the Acute matte D from Hasselblad, but I wondered if here is experience with other alternatives (Maxwell screen for example). Also, the Acute matte D got really expensive on the used market.

Relatively cheap, but not available anymore anywhere is the screen supplied with the CFV50c, which I believe would be the same except for the frame lines for the digital back? Can someone confirm this?

Thank you!

Last edited:

FloatingLens

Relatively cheap, but not available anymore anywhere is the screen supplied with the CFV50c, which I believe would be the same except for the frame lines for the digital back? Can someone confirm this?
The focussing screen 3042264 (44x33 CMOS CFV) has the acute matte D notches, so it is the latest type of screen you can get. As far as I can tell, there was only one screen variant for the CFV with micro-prisms, though.

docholliday

If it has the *two* notches, it's an Acute-Matte D. A single is an Acute-Matte. No notch is either third-party or old screen. The format markings don't matter as they are just screened onto the top. I have printed masks onto clear acetate via UV printer or laser and placed them on top of both V and H cameras to create special masks or for precision alignment during special shoots.

I've used both Maxwell and Beattie screens before, but on RB/RZ and other MF cameras. They are great for those systems that lack a nice screen, but don't fare as well compared to an actual Acute-Matte D. They may be brighter, but the contrast isn't as good and while you may be able to seemingly focus better with a magnifier, they don't pop into focus as easily.

If I was to rate the screens from best to worst based on useability and ease, it would be Acute-Matte D -> Maxwell -> Acute-Matte (any) -> others. The worst I ever used (other than the really old standard Hasselblad screens) was the fiber-optic screen. It was kinda bright, but only if you were on the optical axis of the fiber slice. Beattie screens were hit and miss, bright, but also hard to see any focus aids. On the RB/RZ with the large screen, it was pretty good, but as the screen got smaller, it was less useful (like on a Rollei TLR).

If it says anything, I hated the original RB/RZ screen, so in went a Beattie Intenscreen and I thought it was wonderful (there really is that much difference). I got used to it and thought I'd never seen anything brighter (especially after getting a custom Beattie for 4x5!). When I switched to Hassellbad, the Acute-Matte that was in the 503 made the Beattie feels so flat and non-dimensional. After going to the D on a new body, I hated looking at the Beatties as it felt like I had gone back to the original RB/RZ.

Last edited:

mristuccia

If you're after an Acute-Matte D, carefully inspect the ad photos or have the seller send you detailed ones.
I once bought one which was advertised as "Acute-Matte D" but got an old one, and I had to discuss a lot with the seller in order for he to understand the whole notches story. Luckily he finally agreed on a return and I've got my money back.

sog1927

I had a Beattie screen a couple of decades ago and it was out of spec so I had to shim it to get proper focus, Replaced it with an Acute-Matte and it was a vast improvement.

anyone

Thank you all for your answers. The conclusion is to take a deep breath and buy the Acute Matte D when the time is right. Is there any web resource telling about the different kind of focusing screens? I collected some over the years and it would be interesting to find out more about them. Since some are brighter than others, I suspect to have probably a predecessor of the Acute Matte already in my collection (no notches though).

To extend this discussion, as there seems to be knowledge about Rolleiflex screens too: I got a Rolleiflex 3.5C with a quite dim glass screen. Any recommendations for exchange screens?

Last edited:

docholliday

Thank you all for your answers. The conclusion is to take a deep breath and buy the Acute Matte D when the time is right. Is there any web resource telling about the different kind of focusing screens? I collected some over the years and it would be interesting to find out more about them. Since some are brighter than others, I suspect to have probably a predecessor of the Acute Matte already in my collection (no notches though).

To extend this discussion, as there seems to be knowledge about Rolleiflex screens too: I got a Rolleiflex 3.5C with a quite dim glass screen. Any recommendations for exchange screens?
If you can find a Maxwell for the Rollei, that would be the best. I've also disassembled an Acute-Matte D and installed it into a Rollei, but that's a bit of work to get it in and aligned. You could get a hold of Maxwell Precision Optics (not sure if Bill Maxwell is still around or not) and see what they have.

As far as old non-notched Hasselblad screens, most were the same with different focus aids except for the Bright-Matte which was the horrid optical fiber based screen. It was fairly easy to identify, as it had no markings whatsoever and usually showed a weird honeycomb-like pattern when viewing through it. However, Hasselblad did make a bunch of custom screens for people which defied standards and identifiability. It would have been nice for Hasselblad to at least stamp a model number on the casing somewhere!

Most non-notched screens that had focus aids were all the same, except for the aid itself (crosshair, split (horiz/vert/diag), or microprism). The Acute-Matte and D were actually Minolta screens made for Hasselblad.

anyone

Thank you! I had the impression that my screens vary in brightness, but I may be wrong since I never compared them side-by-side.

If you can find a Maxwell for the Rollei, that would be the best. I've also disassembled an Acute-Matte D and installed it into a Rollei, but that's a bit of work to get it in and aligned. You could get a hold of Maxwell Precision Optics (not sure if Bill Maxwell is still around or not) and see what they have.
While for the Hasselblad I'm willing to spend the extra Euros for the Acute Matte D, on the Rolleiflex the window for a new screen is more narrow. If I buy a new screen for 300 EUR, I can also just upgrade to the 'F' model with the brighter screen. So the question for the Rolleiflex is actually whether there is a cheap(ish) screen that is better than the original.

docholliday

Thank you! I had the impression that my screens vary in brightness, but I may be wrong since I never compared them side-by-side.

While for the Hasselblad I'm willing to spend the extra Euros for the Acute Matte D, on the Rolleiflex the window for a new screen is more narrow. If I buy a new screen for 300 EUR, I can also just upgrade to the 'F' model with the brighter screen. So the question for the Rolleiflex is actually whether there is a cheap(ish) screen that is better than the original.
There really isn't any better other than Maxwell. The problem you run into is that there are a bunch of "bright" screens, but it's not always good. You gain 1-2 stop brightness, but the contrast and imaging suffers so it's actually harder to focus (think of a whitish object on a more white background - the less edge contrast, the harder it is to detect a sharply focused edge). That was the problem with the Beattie Intenscreen, the Brightscreen, and the other handful of third-party screens. Maxwell makes their own and their screens are not grainy, dull, or dimensionless. Basically, if there's no OEM goodness, it's Maxwell. The Acute-Matte D was the perfect balance (even the H cameras screens are Minolta designed Acute-Matte D, technically).

I've never owned any 3.5 Rolleis, just the 2.8F, 2.8GX, and the 6008 Integral/AF (the worst camera ever, next to Bronica - never worked when you needed it to). But they all suffered from screens that suck. Even worse were large format screens - ground glass was just horrid to attempt focusing on once you've used a Maxwell on them.

Godfrey

Hi there,
I was wondering about upgrading my Hasselblad V focusing screen. The obvious choice would be the Acute matte D from Hasselblad, but I wondered if here is experience with other alternatives (Maxwell screen for example). Also, the Acute matte D got really expensive on the used market.

Thank you!
I've had Maxwell screens in the past. They're very good, but no better than the latest/current Hasselblad Acute Matte D type screens.

The CFV-50c focusing screen is available for $350.00 from B&H Photo:

It's a perfect match for the CFV-50c and CFVII-50c digital backs. I bought two last year, one for each of my 500CM bodies. Not cheap, but perfect for me.

G

docholliday

I've had Maxwell screens in the past. They're very good, but no better than the latest/current Hasselblad Acute Matte D type screens.
The difference is that you can get a Maxwell pre-cut to fit a Rollei, but not an Acute-Matte D, which requires a few hours of work to get installed and aligned with the right tools!

anyone

The difference is that you can get a Maxwell pre-cut to fit a Rollei, but not an Acute-Matte D, which requires a few hours of work to get installed and aligned with the right tools!
Arguably my fault since I was asking about two systems in one thread :)

I tend to think that I leave my Rolleiflex as it is since I'm not ready for spending the money on a Maxwell screen. I read somewhere that it's possible to put a Fresnel on top of my glass screen, maybe that is worth a try? Surely not the ideal solution, but an improvement is probably already in the good-enough range.

Last edited:

f.hayek

Well, if you have any interest in Maxwell screens you should act sooner than later. As of this writing (April 2022) he's winding down the business to pursue other interests.

Godfrey

I thought we were talking about Hasselblad in this thread, not Rolleiflex.

I would get a Maxwell screen fitted to a Rolleiflex immediately, before he closes down the business. It's the best screen available for that camera, FAR far better than any drop-in fresnel lens.

For a Hasselblad, get a Hasselblad Acute Matte D screen.

Why mix the two things together?

G

f.hayek

Indeed, spoke to Bill Maxwell and he confirms that his screens for Hasselblad are no better than the Acute Matte D. I recently bought one of the screens for the CFV-50c when they were again in-stock about 2 months ago after a long hiatus of being unavailable, but cost $260 at the time. Crazy jump upwards.

FloatingLens

Indeed, spoke to Bill Maxwell and he confirms that his screens for Hasselblad are no better than the Acute Matte D. I recently bought one of the screens for the CFV-50c when they were again in-stock about 2 months ago after a long hiatus of being unavailable, but cost $260 at the time. Crazy jump upwards.
If you look hard, you can still find shops which have them. I got mine from Paris, France, though, because if found none in Germany at the time.

docholliday

I thought we were talking about Hasselblad in this thread, not Rolleiflex.

I would get a Maxwell screen fitted to a Rolleiflex immediately, before he closes down the business. It's the best screen available for that camera, FAR far better than any drop-in fresnel lens.

For a Hasselblad, get a Hasselblad Acute Matte D screen.

Why mix the two things together?

G
Take a look at the posts right above your posting...

anyone

Not a Hasselblad, but my Rolleiflex focusing screen issue has been solved, a SL66SE bright screen has been fitted to my Rolleiflex 3.5C, and it's a pleasure to use now. Incredible difference to the dim original screen.