The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD lens repair in SF Bay Area?

aksclix

Hi folks - My XCD 45P makes a loud whirring noise when attached to the camera. The AF mechanism has gone faulty. If you live in the Bay Area what are your choices to get this fixed? Send it to Hasselblad or any local service available?
Thanks!
AK

Paul Spinnler

Looks like there is a center in LA? Also looks like Shenzen is cutting costs on the service side ...

Very curious to hear how this goes, with the NJ office closed and rumors flying about how all the trained technicians were let go.

Paul Spinnler

It is weird, in my view, that for such a large market like the US, Shenzen fires the whole East Coast service team, incl. trained technicians - something not easy to replace.

This could mean that in the future all repairs will be handled directly via China - ie it is cheaper to just send something to one place - Burbank - which forwards everything to China and back. Turnaround time increases by 2 weeks, but who cares?

Phase also killed a lot of infrastructure in Europe - digital backs and lenses are shipped on order directly from Japan. Is fast, ie takes two days to get something and the Japanese are fast, but still, also a cost cutting measure.

Just heard last week that they are about to fire all sales reps in Germany ... which is crazy as Germany has been always a profitable market for P1 ... rough times

hcubell

It remains to be seen what the decision to move the US repair facility to the West Coast will mean in real terms for the turnaround of repairs on Hasselblad equipment. However, they could ship the equipment to Mars for repairs and it would still be better than the reports I have read about the track record with Leica M and S systems. What exactly was the turnaround time on all of those uber expensive S lenses that were inherently defective and had to have the AF motors repaired or replaced, which it took Leica two years to acknowledge?

Thyl

It is weird, in my view, that for such a large market like the US, Shenzen fires the whole East Coast service team, incl. trained technicians - something not easy to replace.

This could mean that in the future all repairs will be handled directly via China - ie it is cheaper to just send something to one place - Burbank - which forwards everything to China and back. Turnaround time increases by 2 weeks, but who cares?

Phase also killed a lot of infrastructure in Europe - digital backs and lenses are shipped on order directly from Japan. Is fast, ie takes two days to get something and the Japanese are fast, but still, also a cost cutting measure.

Just heard last week that they are about to fire all sales reps in Germany ... which is crazy as Germany has been always a profitable market for P1 ... rough times
while I did not know there is a Hasselblad repair facility in China, that might still be faster than to send it to the main offices in Sweden, depending on where in the US you live.

little-nellie

Early last year, I send my camera to NJ for repair, package signed by Paul and Paul claim it was never received. Months later, just as I was about to sue HB in NJ, during their move to CA, the camera surface. CA made the repair within a week since rediscovery, I have the camera back. A few months ago, I had a problem with another camera and I sent it in for repair in CA, the service was completed the same day they received it. For me, the service center in CA is great.