The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help for tethering my PhaseOne DF and back P30+

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

I would like to use my combo P1 DF and P30+ tethered to be more certain and comfortable with focusing manual focus lenses like the Mamiya Macro 120/4.
Right now, it's a bit a hit and miss ...
How can I tether that combo to a 2014 MacBook Pro that has USB connections but no firewire ?

Thankful for any help !
Rafael

MartinN

Firewire is very quirky, there has never been any succesful usb to firewire adapter, what I know. However Apple sells thunderbolt to firewire adapters. With P backs one must use firewire. You can use thunderbolt - fw800 - fw400 adapter chain.

Last edited:

AndyPtak

I use a Firewire to TB3 adapter chain, but you must have USB C - the TB3 version - in your computer for it to work. Straightforward USB C is no good. A bummer, I know.

Hasslebad

Phase One has this application note for P series backs: https://support.phaseone.com/knowledgebase/article/KA-01208/en-us

I heard mixed reviews on the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock and the OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock is pricy since it is becoming hard to come by. I had called up Phase One and the person on the phone recommended Sonnet Technologies Allegro Firewire card with a Thunderbolt PCIe chassis. I believe Sonnet has stopped selling the Firewire card a year or two ago but they come up on Ebay. The Thunderbolt chassis can be used to house a hard disk or some other peripheral card.