The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with accessories for Sinar X

Wall-H

Hi All,

While i was still researching and deciding on which 4x5 system to go to, one of my offers at eBay was accepted and i'm completely off guard with new arrival, Sinar X, expert Kit for 4x5 film. I'm still going through various books but i could use help with few accessories and tips on getting started.
Kit has 4x5 Sinar X camera, 6” & 2 -12” extension rails, multipurpose standard, two 4x5 square bellows, two 4x5 bag bellows, filter rod holders, bellows holders, binocular magnifying board, light hood, and the Expert case.
I plan to shoot in studio 85% of time (Portrait and Macro). Remaining 15 % near car, landscape work.
I already have lenses (120 Super Symmar HM, Nikkor T 360 & 500 mm) and lens board is easy search.
Appreciate if you can help me with remaining components i'll need. Specially recommended brand. Somehow i don't seem to get search words right as everyone keeps saying there are plenty of accessories around but i seem to find not much.

1. Adapter for 6x7 roll film back on it and it'd help if i'll have slide mechanism so i can quickly focus and slide roll film. (There is some velvia and cinestill stock available only in 120 that is not available in 4x5. I like it for certain looks . + in certain shoots in studio, you have to keep the pace with model. Roll film will be handy in that case).
2. Digital back adapter for (If i can do stitching, great), I've IQ3, i can use live view for focusing.
3. Which brand for film changing bag ? I'm thinking to get 8x10 size so i'll have some spare room ? (I'm clumsy)
4. sheet film holders ? How many and any brant to prefer over another ? I aim for 4-5 good pictures on shoot. We shoot digital first and if the make up, light and some posing coming up great then we try and take that picture in film.
5. Do you recommend having spare fresnel screen and magnifier ?

Appreciate any additional tips with Sinar X system. Sorry for such unprepared post. Appreciate understanding with newbie freaking out with first 4x5 purchase.

Thanks

darr

(1) What brand is your 6x7 film magazine? Horseman, Linhof, other?

(2) Digital back adapter, buy inexpensive Chinese knock-off since using Live View (I have used inexpensive ones for my Hasselblad backs with no problems).

(3) I use this for 4x5: https://www.adorama.com/adpfcr.html

(4) Look for used ones from KEH.com, usedphotopro.com, etc.

(5) Not unless it is in need of replacement, btw Fresnel is best used for spreading the light with wide-angle lenses.

Sinar X beautiful camera, congratulations!

Wall-H

(1) What brand is your 6x7 film magazine? Horseman, Linhof, other?
i Don't have any film magazine yet. I was thinking to get 2. So i can keep color and B&W separate. Any suggestions or just get what fits in budget?

(5) Not unless it is in need of replacement, btw Fresnel is best used for spreading the light with wide-angle lenses.
Ohh. I misunderstood fresnel for brighter screen.

Sinar X beautiful camera, congratulations!
Thank you. I'm happy and freaking out at the same time. :)
This journey is happening too fast for me but progress nevertheless

P. Chong

congrats on the Sinar X. I guess you bought the one in LFF sale site…and that was a super good price! I have one as well, which I bought off a local studio, and love it.

For 6x7 film backs, Horseman is cheap and cheerful. Less than usd100 a pop. For rollfilm, I prefer 6x12 backs though, these are considerably more expensive. Sinar has one which slots into the back like a film holder.

I have several Fidelity Elite film holders. I ended up with 5, which gives me 10 sheets if I load them all up. But I have never used that many sheets in one shoot before. They are ok. I like the Toyo ones better.

Magnifier yes. I have a Rodenstock 6x. Works well. I also have an original Sinar Fresnel, which I don’t actually find useful other than as a protector for the ground glass. I always remove the fresnel before critical focussing.

For visual interest, I add an image I took of my nephew and his family. Sinar X, Nikkor W 180mm/f5.6. Shot outdoors wide open. Shanghai GP3 film stock developed with Ilfotec HC 1+31 dilution for 6 mins at 20C. Scanned with GFX 50S II with Hasselblad HC 4/120.

ben-family.jpeg

Last edited:

Wall-H

Thank you very much Sir !! Greatly appreciate your inputs. Great picture !!
I'm always nervous using a bit wider lens for portraiture, but above look superb. I've lot to learn !!

P. Chong

the 180mm is good for portraits. I use 80mm on my GFX for portrait…works out to be approximately the same field of view. I even shot a whole family together with my 90mm.

darr

i Don't have any film magazine yet. I was thinking to get 2. So i can keep color and B&W separate. Any suggestions or just get what fits in budget?
Several options are available for 6x7 plus multiformat backs from 6x7 to 6x12.
I have owned Linhof, Horseman, and Da Yi/Shen Hao.

In my experience, the best well-made backs for 6x7 and 6x9 formats are the Linhof Super Rollex backs.
Regardless of the brand you choose, ensuring that it is Graflok back-compatible (second photo) is essential.

The example below (a screen grab from the web) is the model I currently own.
The Linhof Super Rollex is heavier than Horseman and is built like a tank in terms of durability.
Although the Da Yi multiformat back (6x7-6x12) I own excels at maintaining film flatness, loading it can be quite a hassle, so I avoid using it.

You can typically find a Super Rollex in excellent condition for around $250.00.

Best to you!

1705169744392.png 1705169754644.png

TechTalk

Hi All,

While i was still researching and deciding on which 4x5 system to go to, one of my offers at eBay was accepted and i'm completely off guard with new arrival, Sinar X, expert Kit for 4x5 film. I'm still going through various books but i could use help with few accessories and tips on getting started.
Kit has 4x5 Sinar X camera, 6” & 2 -12” extension rails, multipurpose standard, two 4x5 square bellows, two 4x5 bag bellows, filter rod holders, bellows holders, binocular magnifying board, light hood, and the Expert case.
I plan to shoot in studio 85% of time (Portrait and Macro). Remaining 15 % near car, landscape work.
I already have lenses (120 Super Symmar HM, Nikkor T 360 & 500 mm) and lens board is easy search.
Appreciate if you can help me with remaining components i'll need. Specially recommended brand. Somehow i don't seem to get search words right as everyone keeps saying there are plenty of accessories around but i seem to find not much.

1. Adapter for 6x7 roll film back on it and it'd help if i'll have slide mechanism so i can quickly focus and slide roll film. (There is some velvia and cinestill stock available only in 120 that is not available in 4x5. I like it for certain looks . + in certain shoots in studio, you have to keep the pace with model. Roll film will be handy in that case).
2. Digital back adapter for (If i can do stitching, great), I've IQ3, i can use live view for focusing.
3. Which brand for film changing bag ? I'm thinking to get 8x10 size so i'll have some spare room ? (I'm clumsy)
4. sheet film holders ? How many and any brant to prefer over another ? I aim for 4-5 good pictures on shoot. We shoot digital first and if the make up, light and some posing coming up great then we try and take that picture in film.
5. Do you recommend having spare fresnel screen and magnifier ?

Appreciate any additional tips with Sinar X system. Sorry for such unprepared post. Appreciate understanding with newbie freaking out with first 4x5 purchase.

Thanks
First a few of links you may find useful...

• For information: www.pacificrimcamera.com/Reference Library - Sinar

• For a place with an large assortment of used Sinar gear: www.igorcamera.com/sinar_digital_cameras / www.igorcamera.com/sinar_film_cameras / www.igorcamera.com/sinar_digital_lenses [check all three links as accessories may be found in any of the linked categories]

• Also: Try GetDPI site sponsor Capture Integration for assistance. Capture Integration has a lot of expertise in Sinar gear.

1. Do you already have a roll film back? There is a Graflok adapter built into the Sinar rear standard. Sinar made multi-format roll film holders, the most recent being the Zoom 2 (see catalog page 78) which offered multiple formats (adjustable mid-roll) from 6x4.5 to 6x12 and was simply inserted like a sheet film holder. Darr suggested excellent roll film holder options.

2. A Google search for Sinar sliding back turns up a variety of options. You might also try the links above for Igor's or Capture Integration. Kapture Group made a variety of back adapters from simple "Live Video" adapters to sliding and stitching adapters.

3. My personal favorite for many years have been the Harrison film changing tents. They also make my favorite dark cloths.

4. As long as the sheet film holder is in good condition, any should be fine. I used Lisco, Fidelity, and Riteway holders with equal success.

5. I never felt a need for a spare fresnel screen or magnifier, but you may feel differently. I don't see a right or wrong answer here.

The international distributor and service agent for new Sinar equipment is MacConsult in Munich. This article at MacConsult from 2022, both in English and in German, suggests they're driving a reinvigoration of the Sinar product line which looks encouraging.

Last edited:

Wall-H

Thank you very much @darr @Geoff @P. Chong @TechTalk. System arrived. Based on advice above & with the help of B.S. Kumar from large format photography forum. , i gathered remaining missing pieces and ordered them. Most of them were available via B.S. Kumar's own store. Few missing, i got link from previous system owner (who also turned out to be Large format camera forum member).
I think by next weekend, I'll get remaining components & i'll have entire system assembled and probably one shoot completed with the idea i'd in my mind.
Once i'll have first shoot completed, i'll put together all details of all components in this thread so in case someone like me would venture on this again, my list can help.
Thank you for all support !!🙏