The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It is Finally Here, 907x 100c

anyone

It’s not much of a hazzle. One shot more each time using a LCC plate.

By the way, does Phocus lack the dust removal option of the LCC? I liked that feature in Capture One.

rdeloe

Thanks Diggles and tcdeveau for the clarification, much appreciated!

rdeloe, thanks also for the clarification. :)

With regards to wides that might need an LCC plate done in the field, how much of a hassle is this?

Thanks! :)
It's a minor hassle. Shoot your picture, and then shoot your LCC frame. I would much rather not have to do it all the time, but if I had to it be fine.

The 43mm causes colour cast on a non-BSI sensor, but on my 100S I don't notice any. I looked again yesterday while testing for something else, and compared with/without LCC frame. The LCC frame does a nice job of tidying up light falloff (with any lens). I still don't see a colour cast difference though.

P. Chong

agree LCC is not really a hassle, and for BSI sensors, not usually necessary.

On Phocus, yes, there is a dust removal tool. Not sure if it’s the same as on C1, but it works pretty well for sensor dust.

It’s not much of a hazzle. One shot more each time using a LCC plate.

By the way, does Phocus lack the dust removal option of the LCC? I liked that feature in Capture One.

anyone

agree LCC is not really a hassle, and for BSI sensors, not usually necessary.

On Phocus, yes, there is a dust removal tool. Not sure if it’s the same as on C1, but it works pretty well for sensor dust.
I didn’t mean that. When you shoot an LCC, C1 detects sensor dust on it and removes it when you apply the LCC to the image. It’s a pretty neat feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: jng

jng

I go for both.
Agreed. I try to capture an LCC frame in the moment whenever I practically can so I can use the dust removal tool in the C1 LCC correction. Otherwise, I can always fall back on a library of LCC files for each of my lenses with standard movements dialed in to take care of color cast and light fall-off (but not dust removal).

Beyond simple dust, on my sensor there are always a few stubborn spots that defy my routine wet cleaning. The LCC dust removal function does a pretty good job with eliminating some but not all of what I call these "aperture spots" - outlines of the iris diaphragm - which are most obvious when stopped down in areas lacking details (e.g., sky, clouds, smooth water). YMMV...

John

Alan

How does Phocus handle shifted lenses? Does it just expect that the LCC file is shot with matching shift? I understood previously that it had no mechanism to correct distortion/CA on shifted lenses - has this changed?

There’s always the Alpa PS plugin - not nearly as smooth of a workflow as handling corrections in the raw converter though.

diggles

Does it just expect that the LCC file is shot with matching shift?
Yes. All of the LCC correction tools expect the LCC file is shot with matching shift. It won't work otherwise. Lens distortion correction is handled separately.

I understood previously that it had no mechanism to correct distortion/CA on shifted lenses - has this changed?
As far as I know, Phocus does not have a mechanism to correct distortion in non HBLD lenses. It does very well with CA though.

There’s always the Alpa PS plugin - not nearly as smooth of a workflow as handling corrections in the raw converter though.
I really liked the Alpa plugin, but unfortunately it doesn't work in the most recent versions of Photoshop. It would be great if Alpa updates it.

Whisp3r

That's why also the 43 and 60 XL are so sought after - they balance huge ICs, manageable color cast and rectiniliearty for a natural look into a tiny package. 35 and 28 require more careful shooting. Also remember that 43, 60, 28 XL came years after the 35 XL and are therefore more advanced designs with larger useable ICs. The 28 XL, for those who have seen one, is extremely sharp at the centre, really pushing the limits of what's optically possible.

43, 60, done.

Mister Spinnler, you're not joking, this search is making me want to use the old 'needle in a haystack' proverb again. I've been searching the web since your post above, only general sites mind you (search engines, Ebay, etc..), so nothing niche or specialized, and so far I've come up empty-handed. No use creating a 'WTB'-post over here, I reckon :) I will speak to my local dealer tomorrow, see if they can point me in the direction of a 'barn find' of sorts, you never know! But I guess the good old days of lucky barn finds are well behind us. Anyway: lenses first, body & digiback next, onward we march.

tenmangu81

That sounds like a very handy feature. Lightroom does colour cast and light falloff, but I've never seen a reference to dust.
Yes, this is what I missed a lot when switching from Capture One to Phocus or Lightroom. I would be glad if this functionality could be implemented in those HB-adapted softwares. Anyway, I usually go out with only one lens (chosen as a function of the place where I am going to), and when I change lens, I use a rocket blower. I've never had any issue with sensor dusts since I got my X1D II, about 3 years ago.

guphotography

Mister Spinnler, you're not joking, this search is making me want to use the old 'needle in a haystack' proverb again. I've been searching the web since your post above, only general sites mind you (search engines, Ebay, etc..), so nothing niche or specialized, and so far I've come up empty-handed. No use creating a 'WTB'-post over here, I reckon :) I will speak to my local dealer tomorrow, see if they can point me in the direction of a 'barn find' of sorts, you never know! But I guess the good old days of lucky barn finds are well behind us. Anyway: lenses first, body & digiback next, onward we march.
There was a 43xl in Arca R mount sold two weeks ago for $4500 from a US dealer, I nearly bought it as a backup after seeing it available online for a week without buyer!

Steve Hendrix

As far as I know, Phocus does not have a mechanism to correct distortion in non HBLD lenses. It does very well with CA though.

Right, the Distortion toolbox just appears unclickable if it is not a recognized lens.

For LCC's, I consider them a hassle. Let's be honest! Having to shoot twice the number of frames is not my favorite thing to do. But - we should be thankful that the LCC tool exists, because it is immensely beneficial for correcting color cast, vignetting, even for art reproductions and equalizing the lighting so you can create dimensional lighting for a painting. And yes, the dust elimination can work great (although there can be limits to that, so I do recommend you do not ignore cleaning your sensors!)

Steve Hendrix/CI

rdeloe

Right, the Distortion toolbox just appears unclickable if it is not a recognized lens.

For LCC's, I consider them a hassle. Let's be honest! Having to shoot twice the number of frames is not my favorite thing to do. But - we should be thankful that the LCC tool exists, because it is immensely beneficial for correcting color cast, vignetting, even for art reproductions and equalizing the lighting so you can create dimensional lighting for a painting. And yes, the dust elimination can work great (although there can be limits to that, so I do recommend you do not ignore cleaning your sensors!)

Steve Hendrix/CI
And a little plug for the handy dandy LCC tool that CI makes and sells for the price of a few cups of coffee. I have one and it works great.

Paul Spinnler

You can find them from time to time, but the 2nd market prices vary and they've been selling for up to 10k with avg. 6-7k in non-Alpa. But honestly speaking – these are seller's price lenses – if you have one you can opt to put it on eBay and it'll sell for between 7-10k no problem as there's always someone globally who just wants them.

They are very rare and rarer even in mounts like the Alpa mount where there are no more parts to mount them as you need a helical + the right plate, which Alpa doesnt manufacture anymore. The 10k prices were paid for Alpa variants.

Out of all of these the 28XL is by far the rarest.

On Alpa there exist only 50 globally, 1 was destroyed, one is a demo at Alpa and I have one too ... whereas 43 and 60XL were produced in larger quantities, but still produced color cast with the CCDs of the time and so were not as popular as the new Rodie stuff which came out in parallel to the 80 megapixel backs which on top offered rudimentary live view. So there's just not many of them as SK then closed shop as its lenses didn't sell due to the color cast issues with the late-CCD-era backs (e.g. IQ180, Aptus 12, etc.).

Reaility is they are exceptional and as time passes more and more will be destroyed and with the new CFV100c being also a candidate to use them their price will stay high and most likely rise over time. You can order a 40 HR in XT with tilt for 12k, but you cannot order a 43XL – which is arguably more useful if you have a BSI back and are ok with LCC.

So from that perspective 10k for a 43, 60, 28 XL doesn't seem far fatched.

They are the gold standard for architectural photography.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

There was a 43xl in Arca R mount sold two weeks ago for $4500 from a US dealer, I nearly bought it as a backup after seeing it available online for a week without buyer!
That would have been a bargain with 2-3k flip upside down the line ... the dealer must have had no idea what he had in stock. Even in R that's a 6-7k lens at a dealer, easy. Its the best and most versatile wide-angle SK ever made (120mm IC, etc. ...). There was an R variant here on this forum I think of the 60 XL which sold blazingly fast as it was massively underpriced. Like within hours of the post. One hell of a lucky buyer.

A member of this forum sold his 28 and 43 on ebay for high four figures and I couldn't even save the listing on eBay – they were gone within hours (I have SK alerts on, ofc) when I wanted the check the listing in my notification mail when waking up ... That's why its rational to just put them up for 10k on the bay and wait until someone just buys them as on a global scale there are enough whales to pick these up in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

And a little plug for the handy dandy LCC tool that CI makes and sells for the price of a few cups of coffee. I have one and it works great.

Thank you Rob. Obviously the material cost is not $20 per, but some poor chap (or chapette?) has to sit and drill a hole in the plexi for the lanyard and stuff them into the not so easy little cardboard box. I've had to do it on a few occasions and I still have the paper cut scars. 😁

Steve Hendrix/CI

Doppler9000

And a little plug for the handy dandy LCC tool that CI makes and sells for the price of a few cups of coffee.
I see you have moved up from Tim Hortons!