The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus (Now OM Digital Solutions) Discontinues Extended Warranties?

drb

There had been a lot of discussion on what would happen to the Olympus product line post acquisition. I noticed recently (after I acquired an OMD EM1 III) that Olympus USA (now part of OM Digital Solutions) no longer advertises extended warranties for lenses/bodies nor do they market the Pro Advantage service. I called USA customer service to ask about this, and here's what I learned.

The Pro Advantage program is not currently being marketed but is planned to be offered in the future (this shouldn't affect current members). The Canadian based repair center was closed down due to Covid and insufficient business to support the operation. The remaining US service center continues. OM Digital Solutions needs to update their literature and sort out logistics on how to handle Canadian service, but they plan to market that program again once things are sorted out.

The story isn't the same for extended warranties. The person with whom I spoke (who was not in management) said that from what he had heard, they don't plan to offer them anymore. I suggested that not offering extended warranties would be problematic as it would send a message of lack of support for the product line moving forward, and that the issue was compounded given all the customer uncertainty surrounding the future post acquisition. I also politely said I likely wouldn't buy any new Olympus equipment unless they offered extended warranties. The person was very nice and said he really appreciated the feedback and would pass it on. He indicated that it would be helpful if other customers provided feedback on this issue (or others). He also mentioned that the GM of the Olympus Digital Imaging business in Japan moved to the new company as part of the acquisition and they planned to continue product development. So maybe those of us that have a vested interest share our thoughts with the company?

There had been a lot of discussion on what would happen to the Olympus product line post acquisition. I noticed recently (after I acquired an OMD EM1 III) that Olympus USA (now part of OM Digital Solutions) no longer advertises extended warranties for lenses/bodies nor do they market the Pro Advantage service. I called USA customer service to ask about this, and here's what I learned.

The Pro Advantage program is not currently being marketed but is planned to be offered in the future (this shouldn't affect current members). The Canadian based repair center was closed down due to Covid and insufficient business to support the operation. The remaining US service center continues. OM Digital Solutions needs to update their literature and sort out logistics on how to handle Canadian service, but they plan to market that program again once things are sorted out.

The story isn't the same for extended warranties. The person with whom I spoke (who was not in management) said that from what he had heard, they don't plan to offer them anymore. I suggested that not offering extended warranties would be problematic as it would send a message of lack of support for the product line moving forward, and that the issue was compounded given all the customer uncertainty surrounding the future post acquisition. I also politely said I likely wouldn't buy any new Olympus equipment unless they offered extended warranties. The person was very nice and said he really appreciated the feedback and would pass it on. He indicated that it would be helpful if other customers provided feedback on this issue (or others). He also mentioned that the GM of the Olympus Digital Imaging business in Japan moved to the new company as part of the acquisition and they planned to continue product development. So maybe those of us that have a vested interest share our thoughts with the company?
You make some good points here, drb. It would be useful if you posted an email address where those of us who use Olympus cameras could post our support for extended warranties. Hopefully if enough of us express support for this, OM Digital Solutions will reconsider.
Thanks for your post.

drb

So I can't find a direct email on their website, just a contact form. I called the number of getolympus.com (1-800-622-6372) when I spoke with them. I now see that they have a "Buy Extended Warranty" section on their site where you can now buy a Pro Advantage membership. Extended warranties aren't on there yet though, hopefully coming soon per @Ranger Rick.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
OM Digital Solutions is loosing marketshare in Japan

This worries me even more as Japan has always been their dominant market. But actually it is no surprise, as their last "new" camera was the EM1.3 which was actually not really new but rather a refreshed EM1.2.

I do hope they act soon otherwise it might be too late.

1616393959320.png

SrMphoto

OM Digital Solutions is loosing marketshare in Japan

This worries me even more as Japan has always been their dominant market. But actually it is no surprise, as their last "new" camera was the EM1.3 which was actually not really new but rather a refreshed EM1.2.

I do hope they act soon otherwise it might be too late.

View attachment 183345
EM1.3 is quite a bit better than Em1.2. The new processor allows for hand-held high resolution and for LiveND/frame-averaging. The sensor is the same as in EM1.X, supposedly improved. The shutter durability is improved as well as dust elimination (Supersonic Wave Filter). EM1.3 has a more advanced AF. It is a bigger jump than going from Z 7 to Z 7 II.