The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panfield 4x5 camera with extension kit

Teh

Hello everyone,

I am selling my Panfield 4x5 camera complete with the extension to use longer focal lengths.

The Panfield is a rather rare camera with only little information about it to be found online. It was build by Andrew Meintjes, a architecture photographer from South Africa and it seems to have been build with architecture photographers in mind. It is a camera design that I have not seen in any other large format camera. The best description I can come up with is a hybrid between field and monorail camera, combining the best of both worlds. It is as solid and rigid as a monorail and as light or even lighter than some field cameras (around 1.9kg). Available movements also seem to be made with architecture photographers in mind, offering great flexibility even with very wide angle lenses. While the camera comes with a bag bellow (neoprene) as standard, the extension that can be screwed on allows the use of a second bellow and therefore the use of longer lenses.

Please check this video as he does a better job at explaining the camera than I can offer:

The camera is very well made. The all metal construction seems pretty indestructible, and is surprisingly light. Movements are smooth and all have zero indents. Especially the geared focus is a joy to use. The ground glass attachment as well as the extra bellows are made by Sinar and Sinar accessories can be used as well as Sinar lens shades. My example is used but in a great shape. I bought it off an older gentleman and retired architecture photographer who told me that he had sold all his Sinar equipment and bought this Panfield at Calumet in Germany right after seeing one for the first time. He used it professionally mostly with wide to very wide lenses.

Concerning the bellows that are mounted on the camera at the moment. The bag bellows seem a bit rough but I can assure you they are in good condition with no light leeks. The prior owner told me that he was an avid diver and used neoprene repair material and glue to reinforce the edges of the bellows to use extreme rise, but he concluded that it wasn’t actually necessary. I am also adding a factory new bag bellow!

The camera made me fall in love with large format. So why am I selling it? Well I have a few trips coming up where I want to take a LF camera and I will need the most compact model I can find. Sadly I can not afford two cameras at the moment. I will be sad to see it go.

The camera is located in Germany. I can ship internationally and I will work with you to find the cheapest and best shipping option.

My price is 1.300$ but I am open to offers. This includes: main camera, two wide angle neoprene bellows, one regular bellow, extension attachment, ground glass attachment (lens not included and not for sale).

Please get in touch if you have any questions!

Regards,

John

AFD53788-86EC-4A5C-8194-EC32F3AC0C98.jpeg919FFDE2-E618-4E02-8F85-FB14299D3A31.jpegB710DD58-5FBD-4F64-AD3A-1959CD10998A.jpegF9041080-A994-4BBE-AC10-D91681BE82A8.jpeg7E5E5D97-7081-4CF3-B7D6-9FCBA50C7F82.jpegD9ADD71B-AF7F-4273-9C9C-A553005A6F41.jpeg