The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Protection for IQ4 backs (rubber band, screen protector, etc.)

Paul Spinnler

One other thing - why doesn't yet a silicone protection case exist?

Anyone in here familiar with how to produce such thing?

I had commissioned 3d scans of an IQ4 back at one point for this purpose, but the local guy I know who can do this wanted too much for just a prototype.

I'd really love a good silicone protector for rough environments ...

Hasslebad

docholliday

I created a template and cut a vinyl stick-on protection mask out of Oracal 951 070M matte black on a Brother ScanNCut and it looks seamless on the body. The vinyl is used to wrap race cars and boats so it holds up to abrasion and wear really well. When it gets worn, I just print another set and stick it on. Takes a little while to get it all lined up, but it's worth it not having anything bulky.

It's like those phone wraps, but the nice thing is that the 951 is ultra thin so it's easy to form and shape to the corners using a heat gun. The bad part is that 951 is ultra thin and is much harder to work with than the hobbyist 651 vinyls.

This is from when I was creating the template. The left side is covered already. If you look really carefully, you can see the edge of the vinyl at the top-left corner of the back. This is my backup IQ250, so I had all the time in the world to work with it and get the masking right. I didn't bother with masking the top since it was mostly under the prism and has that sticker for the wifi antenna. The 951 is very sticky, so I didn't want it to pull up the cover sticker when I removed the vinyl.

IMG_20230409_161212634.png

Last edited:

Smoothjazz

My question for the group; is a screen protector really necessary? I have gone for years without one- not sure if I should add one to my screen- it seems pretty rugged.
The Op Tech hood is a good idea when carrying the camera in the backpack since it gets jostled around.

docholliday

My question for the group; is a screen protector really necessary? I have gone for years without one- not sure if I should add one to my screen- it seems pretty rugged.
The Op Tech hood is a good idea when carrying the camera in the backpack since it gets jostled around.
It depends on how rough you treat your camera. I've scratched, gougued, and cracked my protectors while shooting. If it wasn't for the protector, it'd be the screen.

kinglang

Thanks to docholliday provide the info, purchased a few of AirGlass Glass Screen Protector for my old backs.

alistairsimmons

One other thing - why doesn't yet a silicone protection case exist?

Anyone in here familiar with how to produce such thing?

I had commissioned 3d scans of an IQ4 back at one point for this purpose, but the local guy I know who can do this wanted too much for just a prototype.

I'd really love a good silicone protector for rough environments ...
We spoke to support about this some time ago and they steered us away from making something due to potential heat build up. Sure someone could come up with a smart solution that had suitable venting.

docholliday

But maybe a hollow structure or with a skeleton case?
The problem with silicone is that while its shock absorption is good, so is it's heat resistance - it's why a lot of kitchen oven stuff is made of it. Hence, why I used vinyl as it doesn't affect the cooling of the back. Not very good against drops or hard bumps, but it does keep the back from getting scratched during daily use and from the occasional splash during shoots near wet things.