The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock HR Digaron - S 180 image circle

Cambo

A second variation in the various mounts is the type of helical focuser used. Cambo has described in its Instagram posts (see the screen snips, attached) that it changed from a Schneider helical focuser with 25mm of travel to a new Cambo-made focuser. The internal dimensions may well have changed.

The image cutoff is likely caused by the sensor seeing the inside of the mount and front extension. It seems to me that the internal diameters of the various T/S vs non-T/S mount designs and helicoid configurations are likely involved.

View attachment 198560View attachment 198561View attachment 198562
The Schneider Helical was never used for this particular lens. Schneider already stopped delivery in 2016. And besides that, the Cambo's internal diamater is larger. We wanted our helical to be suitable for #1 lenses as well. The Schneider was exclusively for use with #0 lenses.

4x5Australian

The Schneider Helical was never used for this particular lens. Schneider already stopped delivery in 2016. And besides that, the Cambo's internal diamater is larger. We wanted our helical to be suitable for #1 lenses as well. The Schneider was exclusively for use with #0 lenses.
Cambo, thank you for the clarification.
The larger diameter of the Cambo helical focuser will reduce any mechanical vignetting compared to the previous smaller diameter one. This is a valuable improvement.

As Warren (diggles) pointed out, the WTS mount for the 180 lens lacks the large-diameter, non-cylindrical base portion seen in the regular WRS mount forward of the mating flange.

Consequently, the smaller-diameter cylindrical portion of the WTS mount is necessarily a little longer than the cylindrical portion of the regular WRS mount.

That difference suggests that light rays at the periphery of the lens's image circle are striking the inner surface of the barrel portion a short distance forward of the mating flange.
This explanation is consistent with the symmetrical, circular form of the vignetting.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Turns out we sold our Ultima Actus XL demo unit when the Actus MV was announced. So unfortunately, I do not have a way to test our Cambo WRS mounted 180 HR-S non Tilt/Swing Copal Shutter Lens on anything with more expansive movements than 25mm+22.5mm. Still, I would guesstimate from my results on the WRS 5000 that usable shift limits probably extend to roughly 28mm x 24mm. I don't think it's going to extend beyond 30mm, but I don't have a way to test that.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Don M

Warren, just to confirm, my lens has the spacer like the first of your lens photos with the red box on the LHS