The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: Factory refurbished Alpa Max incl. box and accessories almost like new (EU)

Paul Spinnler

**** CAN SHIP FROM EU (extra travel expense of CHF50) ****

Dear all

This is the rare opportunity to buy a fully factory refurbished Alpa Max with new inner bearing system incl. accessories in excellent / near mint condition incl. original serialized box + check, clean and refurbishment documentation from Alpa. This is as good as it gets in terms of getting into the world of Alpa at a discount. Prices may further increase in the future, so this is a great opportunity to get a super smooth functioning camera.

When buying used Alpa it is paramount to actually make sure that the bearings are still smooth and the planarity has been re-confirmed which is of course difficult in the second-hand market. If a camera received a hit or fell down planarity might have been impacted which you can avoid by getting the Alpa product checked at the factory.

I am the original owner and end of last year / beginning of this year had a full refurbishment done at Alpa and Seitz for USD 1450 – will provide invoice.

Since then this specific camera has not been used as I've also acquired a Pano and have also the TC. Main horse is Pano.

The refurbishment included a full replacement of all bearings to make it work and feel like new, including new inner parts. Except for some barely visible signs of use, it almost looks like new. In practice, when holding it, it looks stunning. I did the refurbishment for myself as I wanted an almost new like product, but given I use the Pano all the time I feel it is gathering a bit too much dust.

It comes also with a quasi-new wooden handgrip and the heavy-duty Arca tripod stand and shift adapter + Alpa screwdriver so you can play around with removing or keeping the handgrip, for example.

This is an MKI Max, which mainly differs from the MKII in that the wheels of the rise mechanism are black with a small securing clip (you can secure the rise also in the front of the camera directly, so the use is limited of this addition) instead of solid aluminum in the first iteration. There are no real functional differences impacting the use of the camera for its intended purpose.

Alpa always quotes ex factory, meaning the current price on the website is the one to look at except if a dealer is clearing stock, for example. Web prices may therefore be misleading to some extent as they may not be up to date.

List price excluding VAT at Alpa as of today:
+ Max: CHF 6600 or USD 7300 / EUR 6800
+ Rosewood hand grip: CHF 400 / USD 440 / EUR 410
+ Shift adapter: CHF 250 / USD 270 / EUR / 260

In practice, you will always buy a hand grip and shift adapter, so it wouldn't make sense to buy just a camera, for example.

Total = CHF 7250 / USD 8010 / EUR 7470 + import duties, taxes, shipping, etc.

If shipped from EU, I need to drive to Germany for which I'd ask a cost surcharge of CHF50.

I cannot imagine a better intro into the high-precision and high-end world of Alpa than with this camera and with the upcoming Hasselblad back it will be even better.

In addition to the wood handle and shift adapter, this kit comes with the Alpa multi-function screwdriver that lets you remove / add the handle or screw-in other accessories.

Paypal is possible for well-known members, but payment would need to be made in Swiss Francs so I can extract it without another few percent of transaction fees from paypal (my native Paypal account is lin Swiss Francs). I prefer payment by wire as it has the least amount of fees.

I am a long-time forum member and have sold many items over the years as well as other Alpa items and have recenty bought an XT lens from Bill.

A non-factory checked Alpa Max without box and further documentation recently sold for 4800 EUR on ebay. I am in no rush to sell. The camera is beautfiul and has been just lying around, so I'd prefer it finds a new home. You in addition benefit from the USD1450 new parts invested into this specific unit to make it function like new.

It is a big difference sometimes hand holding a factory new unit with its smooth bearings compared to an older one where time and use have impacted its feel. It can well be that a used Max sent to Alpa will be quoted a four-figure amount amount to be refurbished back to spec – this has been done here already, so bear this in mind. Alpa gear is very precise, for the most discerning photographers - there's a reason you can buy shimming plates for their back adapters ... in the end, with a 10k lens and 40k back you wouldn't want a badly aligned camera impacting edge sharpness on a stitch, right? Right.

The Alpa system is unique in its precision, quality of build and open-ness meaning it is the perfect complement to the new Hassy back and this specific unit will provide years of tech cam enjoyment.

BR
Paul

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

1699986570127.jpeg

In action. Movements are precise and buttery smooth. The point about the Alpa is that you get it once you have it in your hands and once you feel the camera. It is something else quality-wise. I got into Alpa via a Cambo as I thought it is more or less "the same". Once I held the Max in my hands, though, I decided to sell my Cambo gear at a loss and go full on Alpa.

You can attach these dovetail adapters:

Left and right and then make a mini Pano out of the Max which gives you 25mm shift left and right and 18mm top / down. This let's you create huge stitches. The Alpa Max also accepts the Linhof rollfilm back which is now again orderable at Alpa.

The Plus is not compatible with film.

The Alpa is the tool of choice for the great photographers of our time, incl. Andreas Gursky and Thomas Struth:

1699987118061.jpeg

I guess it is fair to say that if it works for Thomas, it'll work amazingly well for you, too. :)

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

The brass rails get a bit dirty from the internal lubricant but can be polished of course, as can be the aluminum riser on the left. Another good thing about Alpa is that all items are factory replaceable, meaning once you are "IN" the system your Alpa will last a very long time.

Paul Spinnler

It also works for the most commercially successful fine art photographer of our time ... nothing like doing 4-way stitches on an Alpa Max or XY with an Alpagon 90 HR which in addition benefited from Alpa's legendary factory check-in sharpness check (like Sinar back in the day all lenses are checked at entry on the roof top of Alpa's offices in Zurich).

1700001634745.jpeg

If it works for our Alpa friend Gursky, it'll work just fine for you, too! Here he's shifting 25mm left (90mm likely), most certainly for resolution on his fine art composite.

This is where shimming your back, paying 1.5k to have planarity and bearings calibrated pays off:

1700001941060.jpeg

Essentially Alpagon 90 HR + Max and you have NO excuse to not produce high quality art, literally.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Besides the obvious benefits of precision, smoothness of operation, highest end workmanship, the Alpa Max is also very flexible in terms of third party image capturing devices. In addition to film backs, it accepts Hassy X cameras as "backs" – enabling a "best of both worlds" approach. If you have current gen Rodie lenses you can also have them remounted in Alpa for a remounting fee ... to lessen the entry ticket price.

A combo of a 40 and 90 HR lens basically has you covered.

1700228016828.jpeg

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

I need to check, could be it is only with the 50 HR – there's a blog post on the Alpa website for this and a PDF. Either I'll post it or someone will post it soon here.

JeffK

View attachment 208079

In action. Movements are precise and buttery smooth. The point about the Alpa is that you get it once you have it in your hands and once you feel the camera. It is something else quality-wise. I got into Alpa via a Cambo as I thought it is more or less "the same". Once I held the Max in my hands, though, I decided to sell my Cambo gear at a loss and go full on Alpa.

You can attach these dovetail adapters:

Left and right and then make a mini Pano out of the Max which gives you 25mm shift left and right and 18mm top / down. This let's you create huge stitches. The Alpa Max also accepts the Linhof rollfilm back which is now again orderable at Alpa.

The Plus is not compatible with film.

The Alpa is the tool of choice for the great photographers of our time, incl. Andreas Gursky and Thomas Struth:

View attachment 208080

I guess it is fair to say that if it works for Thomas, it'll work amazingly well for you, too. :)
Such a good video: watch here

Paul Spinnler

PSA: Can ship from EU (ie no duties, VAT)! Alpa ex factory prices are without VAT, so this is an additional savings component in this private sale!

Also happy to procure against cost any accessories at the factory to be attached directly to the camera, for example, the dovetail arca adapters the Hassy V plate for the upcoming back or the X camera adapter ...

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

1700313653529.jpeg

Another thing that is often misunderstood is the symmetric construction of all Alpa cameras. In essence, all Alpa cameras are like cinema cages with ample mounting points on all sides for accessories. Alpa also makes a thin profile Arca dovetail adapter with a wide basis – for stability – which allows you to transform your Alpa Max into a 25 / 18 left / right or 18 / 18 up and down camera.

Since the lens is positioned in the middle it means you can effectively shift 25mm left and right by quickly turning the camera upside down.

Even if you don't, it is sometimes nifty to have 25mm on one side more. In oder to stitch within the IC of a lens you just need to swap back and front with the digital back where you'd typically have your lens. Because Alpa is totally symmetric in all ways, this isn't a problem.

In such a case one could also just remove the stitching adapter to have a more versatile panoramic outfit if one always wants to keep the camera horizontally. You only use 7mm top rise this way.

In that regard the Max is very flexible.

1700313945401.jpeg

I use these dovetail adapters on my other cameras (TC and Pano) so I've just screwed them on here for demonstration purposes. Super easy to do, just takes seconds.

Rodie lenses above 50mm can exploit the 25mm left and right, e.g. starting with the 70mm which works perfectly fine up to 25mm if you have a short barrel lens and gain IC via a 17mm back extender. 90, 138 also of course.

In this case I have a 17mm tilt spacer in the back – another benefit of the Alpa system, which allows for back tilt (up or down, depending on how you flip the symmetrical spacer) – which allows you do correct for perspective when tilting the camera upwards ... !

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Updated price to CHF5000 net + shipping. This includes 1450 USD worth of new parts an peace of mind of having a perfectly planar and smoothly working Max.

Boxed, fully refurbished, stunning condition. Shipped well packaed in a wrapping bubble wrap container box from within Switzerland for the US and Asia or from within EU for EU friends wanting to save a big bucks on VAT / duties.

A third below retail not including any VAT / duties, etc. which effectively means it is even a better deal especially for our friends from the Old Continent.

This baby needs to shoot some fine art, please. It is the natural complement for the new Hassy. If you already have Rodie glass – just send it off for re-mounting. Alpa is pure joy.

You can start with a 40-50 HR and be a very happy camper.

The moment you enter the Alpa realm you'll be fine with the investment. It is always the same – once you hold it ...

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

I am in Switzerland, but can ship from within the EU to save you taxes and VAT.

Mark Power has a course on the website of Magnum where he is seen using the camera extensively, both digitally and analogously.

Gursky has been shooting Alpa since the beginning. There's multiple images of him online, this one is from a press article, but I would need to search more to find it.

Another prominent Alpa user is Candida Höfer, but there's no picture of her online using it. Essentially, many of the most commercially succesful and known students of the legendary Becher class of photography use an Alpa.

Alpa is more precise and stable than Arca – I am agnostic as I have both, but the workmanship is better. I am invested in the Arca system primarily for the film part; Alpa is the tool of choice for precise stitching. Alpa has some other benefits - the TC is the most compact medium format camera available and the Pano is a unique stitching monster. Once you are in their system you can over the years extend your bodies to cover the different use cases.

I also have the Factum, but the TC is significantly smaller and I see the whole ecosystem of Alpa as more flexible. Arca on the other hand has nice view cameras.

I will be in Germany in any case early next week, so could ship then.

The Max is the perfect camera for the upcming Hasselblad back and say a Phase IQ3 / 4.

Last edited:

Kipoz

I am in Switzerland, but can ship from within the EU to save you taxes and VAT.

Mark Power has a course on the website of Magnum where he is seen using the camera extensively, both digitally and analogously.

Gursky has been shooting Alpa since the beginning. There's multiple images of him online, this one is from a press article, but I would need to search more to find it.

Another prominent Alpa user is Candida Höfer, but there's no picture of her online using it. Essentially, many of the most commercially succesful and known students of the legendary Becher class of photography use an Alpa.

Alpa is more precise and stable than Arca – I am agnostic as I have both, but the workmanship is better. I am invested in the Arca system primarily for the film part; Alpa is the tool of choice for precise stitching. Alpa has some other benefits - the TC is the most compact medium format camera available and the Pano is a unique stitching monster. Once you are in their system you can over the years extend your bodies to cover the different use cases.

I also have the Factum, but the TC is significantly smaller and I see the whole ecosystem of Alpa as more flexible. Arca on the other hand has nice view cameras.

I will be in Germany in any case early next week, so could ship then.

The Max is the perfect camera for the upcming Hasselblad back and say a Phase IQ3 / 4.

Thank you @Paul Spinnler for all this interesting information.

As for your proposal, I hear that the Alpa Max is revised, but for me this budget is too high all the same, especially since I don't yet have the lenses with copal (important for flash), it That's why I'm moving towards Arca Rline, but as you say, it's less qualitative or practical, but still compared to Cambo, it's better, right? (you who have the 2 systems).

I am looking for a 40 HR with copal, do you have a solution?

there is @RLB who sells his, but does not wish to send to Europe (because of insurance, taxes and Customs) for me is also too expensive :(

Thank you.

Merci à vous.

Paul Spinnler

No I don’t have a solution for you. You need to figure this out yourself and pls don’t write on sales ads your deliberations around what you can afford to buy or not. It is not of public interest, honestly.

This is high quality gear and it costs and as everyone else you need to figure out yourself how to afford it. The 40 HR is an excellent lens, you can also save up and buy it new at a dealer which I would highly recommend.

The Alpa is top of the line equipment which one has for many years and which can also be sold later. Quality costs.

It took me a lot of time many years ago to save up for my first Alpa camera and first lens (43 XL).

Regards
Paul

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

@winetu 's Digaron-W for 4K could be remounted to Alpa at their factory which would be a very easy segway into the Alpa world combined with the cost savings and security of a factory refurbished Max!

@Kipoz or anyone else who sees the opportunity here: It doesn't get more affordable than this to move onto the Alpa platform. A naked copal Digaron 40 – I would buy it to directly remount it to Alpa, which has also the highest re-sale value of all mounts.

Happy to also ship both items together and pick the Digaron 40 up at Alpa if someone decides to go for both items. Purchase and remounting at Alpa would need to be organized independently, of course I can just ship all items together.

That's one hell of a starting kit – Max + Digaron 40 HR is as good as it gets! Shipping and insurance at cost and risk to the buyer.

@JeffK's magenta 70 HR could also be remounted to Alpa at the factory for a remounting fee. That's even cheaper! The 70 HR in SB with back spacer let's you use the full shift of the Max – regularly use this lens on the Max and it is also pictured above in X shutter! Great stuff!

Remember to only remount in SB – allows you to tilt the lens and value is higher!

BR
Paul

Last edited: