The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: Factory refurbished Alpa Max incl. box and accessories almost like new (EU)

Paul Spinnler

I think people forget that you can also re-mount Rodie lenses as they are still in production. Alpa won't give it a gold ring, but it is a great, easier segway into their world.

With your 70 and Winetu's 40 one has a very good starting point TBH. SK lenses can't be remounted except if a tube is in stock at Greiner (but this is not the case to my understanding); Rodie is the way to go.

Re-sale value is also highest. A nice copal 70 or 40 in Alpa mount retains excellent value.

As said, happy to coordinate local logistics if someone sees this and wants to piece together a kick-ass Alpa kit at a discount. Then next year the TC, the Pano, STC ... good stuff, guys!

Wouldn't that be a nice Christmas gift? A top-of-the-line solid tech cam including one of the best wide-angles in the market.

Last edited:

JeffK

even if ALPA can’t remount a bare copal lens a buyer might have, SKgrimes can make you one from scratch! That helps the folks in North America.

Paul Spinnler

They can remount any copal lens if it is a current one in their product line as AU, X shutter and Copal have all the same dimensions. In fact, you can even send in your copal if you buy new to have a Copal branded variant. This means if you have a Rodie HR that's currently sold you can have it mounted, including your bargain-priced magenta 70 HR.

That's probably the cheapest Alpa 70 HR I can envisage if one takes yours for remounting. If something is sent to the factory you can further ask for some replacements at cost, I think, like for example a new front lens ring, but Rodie is not cheap these days. Still, might be worthwhile checking the options.

Copal is very rare these days, so copal-mounted Alpa lenses have excellent value retention.

The process would be like this – one buys your or Winetu's lens, sends it directly to Alpa and I collect it to ship it jointly with the Max which should save shipping costs. Just an offer. Ofc can also be done separately.

First come, first serve! In these scenarios, I always ask myself how annoyed would I be in retrospect if it is indeed sold and I didn't get it. Helpful mental exercise to not be sad after the fact!

Paul Spinnler

Mounting a NAKED (no helical just the bare lens) copal or AU Rodie 40 HR-W in SB is roundabout 1900-2100 Swiss Francs ex factory pre VAT (ie add 8% in Switzerland and 20%ish in the EU if you are a non professional without VAT number).

Pricing is dependent on various factors, including whether there's a helical already or not. I remember getting a WRS quote from Cambo for a SK lens withouth helical a while back which was also 1950 EUR ex-factory pre VAT. In any case important to directly contact Alpa as prices may vary from what I state for a naked 40 HR.

If you have a helical it may be less in my understanding.

Arca is a bit cheaper as there is no third-party helical, but with VAT, shipping etc. you are also quickly above 1000 EUR, although it varies by focal length as you need spacers for longer lenses.

Interestingly enough Cambo is also not the cheapest mounting option these days anymore. I guess it is a bit cheaper than Alpa, but not massively.

It's a great segway into the system and a freshly mounted Alpa Digaron has high value retention given that is is more rare than Cambo.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

This is a fully factory refurbished and checked unit with serialized new box and a mint rosewood handle! The unit itself has absolutely minor signs of use and looks stunning and works flawlessly. Fantastic X-Mas gift (to oneself, let's be honest) and a perfect entry into the Alpa world.

If to be shipped from Germany CHF50 surcharge for travel and logistics expenses on my side.

+ Can procure accessories against cost
+ Will ship for free with standard shipping (Swiss post; any extra insurance and express delivery and / or other couriers against cost surcharge)

Last edited:

akaru

I kind of want one, too for the extra stops. Considering a Leica M adapter but I’d lose the shutter (and would have to crop, but not so much with the new Hassy back). Alpa still has some Alpar 35s but I think they’re in aperture mount.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

The main reason to get one is for compactness for the TC and for collection purposes.

That's why I am interested in it. For all other scenarios and most users, the Digaron 40-W is a far better choice as it has a larger IC and is a newer design. The 40-W superceded (and 32-W) it in all regards, effectively, that's why there's multiple 35s at dealers for sale and the lens has also been discontinued. I love my 40-W.

Its just if you want a bit more compactness that there's theoretically reason. If a 40/50 Digaron-S with short FFD existed, I'd want these ones instead, because the 35 is also a bit too wide in use on the TC and when trialling it I found it not an easy walk-around focal length as it easily skews bodies if you want to portray someone. You can essentially forget full body with this one, while with the 40 and 50 environmental are possible.

Its literally the FFD / collection aspect that I care about here and because I figured a trade + cash might be of interest for someone. Wish it was a bit less wide though.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Price drop 4399 CHF (equivalent to ca. 5100 USD) net in Swiss Francs for factory refurbished, perfect Alpa Max. Basic shipping via Swiss Post covered, any insurance top-ups or third party carriers at buyer's cost. That's a significant saving vs. new with the added benefit that this specimen has been fully refurbished by Alpa to guarantee planarity and smoothness of operation.

Comes with minty rosewood grip, heavy duty shift and tripod adapter (a must).

Ideal combination for architecture, especially with SK glass or say a Rodie 40 HR and an easy entry into the Alpa ecosystem.

Can procure smaller accessories to go with it at cost as Alpa is around the corner for me.

Paul Spinnler

Happy to pick up a V adapter at cost locally for convenience and ship it all in one package. Lens-wise conversions are 2nd hand like the recent 35 XL provide an easy gateway.

If you own an STC, this is the ideal step-up.

Paul Spinnler

Bump: 4150 CHF / USD 4699 net to me + shipping at cost.

Factory refurbished and checked – an excellent entry into tech cams for CFV100c users.

To get into Alpa you can i) buy Rodie second hand, ii) remount Rodie HR 2nd hand or iii) buy "cheaper" SK glass e.g. 35 / 47 XL second hand.

Alpa has unique features:

+ Alpa TC – more flexible than XC and cheaper
+ Pano – unique stitching monster
+ All cams are built to an incredible standard, made to last with shift detent rails if you want allowing for repeatable LCC / easy stitching
+ Many mounting points for flag arms, grips, handles, etc.

The build quality is a notch above the rest. Rosewood and high quality anodization which lasts over time (its way harder getting visible aluminium scratches on an Alpa than on other systems) – it just looks ace and every time you hold an Alpa you are motivated to go out and "create".

The tool of choice for some of the world's leading fine art phorographers, incl. Andreas Gursky.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

1708384250825.jpeg

Alpa Max with Alpagon 90 HR – good enough for Andreas Gursky! Mine comes with the same heavy duty tripod adapter.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

New price: CHF 4050 or 4599 USD net to me + shipping!

That's almost 50% off for a fully factory refurbished and checked Alpa Max with new original packaging.

That's a very low price to get the arguably most versatile Alpa body with 25mm rise and 18mm left right shift.

The workmanship and precision are truly great and once you have one you will want to go out and make photos!

Also accepts the Alpa film back from Linhof and can be used a mini Pano by flipping it sideways with 25mm left right.

Looking for the 90 SW in Copal as well.

Perfect for the new CFV100c.

Last edited:

iceinspire

New price: CHF 4050 or 4599 USD net to me + shipping!

That's almost 50% off for a fully factory refurbished and checked Alpa Max with new original packaging.

That's a very low price to get the arguably most versatile Alpa body with 25mm rise and 18mm left right shift.

The workmanship and precision are truly great nad once you have one you will want to go out and make photos!

Also accepts the Alpa film back from Linhof and can be used a mini Pano by flipping it sideways with 25mm left right.

Looking for the 90 SW in Copal as well.

Perfect for the new CFV100c.
excuse me for newbie question: can this possible work with fuji GFX 100s body?

Paul Spinnler

Yes, but only with lenses whose focal flange distance requires spacers given that the GFX is a mirrorless body and has a protruding grip:

For example, I think the Rosenstock 50 HR would work as it requires a short barrel extender of 34mm which you can attach at the backside of the camera between the body and the camera.

There is one unique product within the Alpa range - the TC. Given that this is just a frame you could even use a lens with a shorter barrel extension as the grip wouldn’t clash with the body. You can see it in the picture gallery.

That would open up the world of SB17mm lenses such as the 40 HR.

I would need to double check the exact lens compatibility through as I am not 100% sure. Let me look for the Hasselblad X compatibility list as there is also an adapter to mount an X camera on it which then shows which lenses work. On the max as said you need more extension because the grip would touch the body - a problem which you have less with the TC but also with all other tech cams except if they are bellows case in which case it’s not 100% a tech cam anymore but just a bellows camera.

Last edited: