The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: Factory refurbished Alpa Max incl. box and accessories almost like new (EU)

Paul Spinnler

1708859690717.jpeg
The compatibility table for Hassy X cameras.

I think it is similar with the GFX. So 50mm and up on the Max or adapted V, or say Pentax 67 lenses. Once you migrate to the Alpa System you could even use the 32 and 40mm lenses with the TC later.

You will face the FFD (focal flange distance, ie distance between sensor and lens) problem with all pancake tech cams due to the protruding GFX grip and short FFD of tech cam lenses and the only way to mitigate it is to get a bellows camera which is something totally different than a pancake tech cam.

An Alpa TC with a 40 HR Rodenstock later on and dual use of the 40 HR on the max with say a Hassy CFV100c is an amazing combo. You could snap up a 40 HR used here on the forum - two are on sale for a fair price, remount it for 2kish to Alpac mount and then transition into the Alpa world for a good price.

Once you have a remounted 40 HR, or 50 HR or 70 HR it'll retain value as Alpa mounted lenses are typically worth more on the used market.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

CHF4050 Swiss Francs net onto my Swiss Franc denominated paypal (c. 4599 USD) – that's almost half price incl. local VAT in Switzerland for a factory refurbished Alpa Max with new parts, etc. ideal for the new CFV100c!

I can help procure small parts locally e.g. like the V adapter, etc.

Soon to eBay – last Max sold for 4800 EUR there a few months back.

I think the Max is the best Alpa body as you often would want the most rise you can get – this one does 25mm rise!

Paul Spinnler

CHF3950 net wired = equivalent to 4499 USD + shipping.

That's a fantastic price for a quasi new Alpa Max - the most versatile unit with new parts and new packaging.

Can procure V mount at cost.

Looking for SW90 HR in copal as well.

zakvb

HI Paul

Hope you are well.
Where in Switzerland are you based?

I do have a 90HR - and might part with it.

dawidloubser

FYI, I've been chatting to Paul these past few days and am probably taking this, to be confirmed tomorrow (Saturday).
But if not, jump into the queue - this is a great deal. I'm just making some high-level system decisions ;-)

epforever

Yeah, I don't know why no one has jumped on this. The Max is such a great body, incredibly versatile, and this is a good way to enter the Alpa system from a trusted seller.

dawidloubser

Hey everybody - after committing to Paul that I am buying this kit, I started looking deeply and costs and availability of all the accessories I would need to build up a full system to the level of completion that I would need, as well as lack of availability of many of the pieces on the second-hand market, and this system is just a bit rich for me to get into right now - so I am respectfully backing out of the sale.

I should have done a bit more research - I wanted to just publicly apologise to @Paul Spinnler for wasting his time, and to give him a heartfelt thanks for the incredible amount of effort and support he has put into this sale - you are such a top guy, and I wish I was rich enough to not have second thoughts about this purchase.

Given the profile of what I already have, and what I photograph, I realised (just in time) that the Alpa system doesn't make sense for me.

Again, truly sorry for the wasted time - I should have done more thorough research upfront, but I'm making the right choice for me and letting this beauty go to somebody who'll be able to do it justice.

Sorry! Somebody very lucky will buy this gem. I'm just not that lucky yet :)

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

UPDATE, STILL AVAILABLE:

Unfortunately, I have been led on by Dawid - he confessed that he doesn't have the funds he signalled and a last minute change of heart despite me trying the best to accomodate him, making it possible for him to even send the payment via crypto currency (for whatever reason he insisted he prefers this way, but ok, I setup a coinbase account) and making a call to Alpa to broker a special discount on an HY6 adapter. Despite verbal confirmation via phone to make sure of buying it from me and making me check shipping quotes with couriers, which required me to make accounts, he literally reneged on his verbal commitment before sending across the agreed amounts.

I will now have to call Alpa to cancel an order - which never happened before and is embarrassing - and as a result CANNOT recommend to deal with Dawid in any shape or form in the future.

In my book - a verbal contract counts and there are multiple points in time when you can have a change of heart, but not after sending across the final shipping quote after days of discussing and putting in time for individual bits and pieces of a deal. Then you just take it and deal with it.

For anyone interested, this kit is therefore still available. I will re-open the eBay auction which is at a higher price than the forum price.

The best deal is on this forum and I prefer to sell to a member here as it allows for additional level of support and help on a sale.

Net price CHF3950 wired + shipping. This is almost half price, with 1/3 new parts for a fabulous condition camera.

Last edited:

B L

UPDATE, STILL AVAILABLE:

Unfortunately, I have been led on by Dawid - he confessed that he doesn't have the funds he signalled and a last minute change of heart despite me trying the best to accomodate him, making it possible for him to even send the payment via crypto currency (for whatever reason he insisted he prefers this way, but ok, I setup a coinbase account) and making a call to Alpa to broker a special discount on an HY6 adapter. Despite verbal confirmation via phone to make sure of buying it from me and making me check shipping quotes with couriers, which required me to make accounts, he literally reneged on his verbal commitment before sending across the agreed amounts.

I will now have to call Alpa to cancel an order - which never happened before and is embarrassing - and as a result CANNOT recommend to deal with Dawid in any shape or form in the future.

In my book - a verbal contract counts and there are multiple points in time when you can have a change of heart, but not after sending across the final shipping quote after days of discussing and putting in time for individual bits and pieces of a deal. Then you just take it and deal with it.

For anyone interested, this kit is therefore still available. I will re-open the eBay auction which is at a higher price than the forum price.

The best deal is on this forum and I prefer to sell to a member here as it allows for additional level of support and help on a sale.

Net price CHF3950 wired + shipping. This is almost half price, with 1/3 new parts for a fabulous condition camera.
May I suggest ,you make a 10 min long video actually showing Max,mounting lens(es),back and triggering to make an image.I know it s many hours work but still....
Goodluck with the sale.

Paul Spinnler

Well 10 mins is a bit long, but I can do a quick cell phone video these days. Look, for now its on eBay, there's more traction on that platform it seems.

Paul Spinnler

Well the ask whether crypto payment was also ok was a bit of a red flag, I guess. Although I must say the good thing is I've now looked into Coinbase, quite a dynamic tech platform! And reading up on things crypto was on my to-do list!

So to summarize: I now accept Swiss Frank ask equivalent USDT (Tether), as long as its net of "Gas and exchange fees" ;)

Last edited:

dawidloubser

I just wanted to clarify something: I never "confessed to not having the funds" and indeed I would never lead somebody along a purchase without having the funds to do so.

Having had a few days longer to look into the situation and do research (which I admittedly should have done before even contacting paul) I started realising that I would have to spend upwards of an additional $5000 just to be able to mount a lens with tilt/shift, a viewfinder, and a back, on this body, because apart from this forum these items are pretty much unavailable on the second-hand market.

Building an extensive Alpa system just doesn't make sense for me at these costs, and I respectfully and apologetically backed out of the sale before any value was transferred.
If I am to be punished permanently because of this - well, as somebody that buys and sells things all the time, I'd be surprised, as it's happened to me on the selling end so many times.

While I appreciate "the best" as much as the next guy - I use a rather extensive Linhof and Leica kit, for example - I just can't justify spending as much on a single tilt/shift lens panel when I can, for not much more, get a similar camera like an Arca RM3D with that built-in entirely (for example).

It's anybody's right to see "crypto as a red flag" but the reality is that over $63bn of Tether changes hands daily, and I have personally bought everything from cars to cameras with it. To some of us, it's simply a sign of the times and a different means of exchanging value.

Again, my apologies - but to say that I purposefully led anybody on is simply not true.

Paul Spinnler

Dawid – you've wasted my and Alpa's reps time which I am not getting back and you don't have your act together. You've had multiple days to reflect on the gear and confirmed to me on the phone that you'd be buying it and I've even called Alpa to help you out with to save further with an Hy6 adapter order. I've literally pulled the shipping quote together on your request via a courier before you backed out.

The way to do it in such an instance is to just buy it and deal with it – pacta sunt servanda; now you've wasted people's time who are not getting in any way compensated for that. Its respectless and an apology doesn't change this fact.

The reason why someone would ask to transfer crypto is to avoid local taxation, lets be honest. There's no other reason. You can sell your crypto where you store it, transfer it to your bank account and wire it else - its not rocket science. You wouldn't want do do that so the digital funds do not appear anywhere on a bank account.

On the costs – its not rocket science that lenses and bodies are not for free.

The reality is a different one: you've had a last-minute change of heart when you opportunistically saw that there's a 40 HR Arca lens and the R body on the forum for sale and figured this is going to be potentially a better deal for your purposes and then backed out after having committed to purchasing the Alpa. You should do this analysis before you confirm the purchase from someone else on the phone before they place orders with Alpa for you and not in the last minute.

On the Arca body you have other risks when buying older units used (lubrication of shift knobs, in spec TUMs) which can lead to expensive factory roundtrips. The risk is bigger the older the unit.

I am selling a factory refurbished Max with manufacturer invoice for check + new parts.

Last edited:

darr

Having had a few days longer to look into the situation and do research (which I admittedly should have done before even contacting paul) I started realising that I would have to spend upwards of an additional $5000 just to be able to mount a lens with tilt/shift, a viewfinder, and a back, on this body, because apart from this forum these items are pretty much unavailable on the second-hand market.
If you had followed the sensible and customary protocol of conducting thorough research before initiating the purchasing process, you would have found ample resources for ALPA gear. Given that the price was indicated beforehand, you opted for a needlessly convoluted approach, seemingly disregarding the inconvenience caused to the seller and ALPA's representative. I might perceive the situation differently if you were unaware of the price or if ALPA did not have a website where you could have initiated your research—situations like this cause photographers to be reluctant to sell their gear online and take financial hits when selling to dealers for sometimes less than 50% of value. We all lose out when individuals play gamesmanship when buying and selling gear.

Paul, I am sorry you have been treated this way. I appreciate you bringing this situation to my attention.

Paul Spinnler

Hi Darr – its ok. Appreciate your comment. Its gonna sell at point, that's not the point for me.

The main point for me is that I asked Alpa owner (its a small firm) on my behalf to be forthcoming and support someone's entry into the system with an obscure back adapter and they had agreed on an exceptional basis to be a tiny bit forthcoming given this was a factory refurbished unit they knew I wanted to sell and because I also had in return committed to geting other things from them in a back-to-back transaction. I just don't like to make other people run and not hold my word by proxy.

He's now most likely hunting for R stuff, which, as I said, comes with its own tricky aspects. And he knew full well about pricing – its just that he changed his mind because he saw an opportunity that better suited him after committing – which is a way of dealing I fundamentally lack respect for. I am for one man, one word, no weak excuses post factum.

Last edited: