The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why My Images dont look as good when exported from LR Classic

rollsman44

I am using Pentax 645Z and Hasselblad X1D2. When I edit the images in LR ( latest version) They look so fantastic with POP and colors are beautiful.
They dont look as good when I export them to my Folder on my desktop. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you

darr

Dennis,

It is all about the color space.

What did you set for Lightroom's color space?
What did you set the color space for export to your desktop folder?

For color space to be consistent, they must be the same.

Question: Which Color Space Should I Use in Lightroom?
Answer: The choice of color space really depends on the end-use of the image.

For sharing your images on social media, on a blog, or website, then sRGB is the best choice.
For printing, Adobe RGB is the preferred choice.

Find a YouTube video on Lightroom Color Space and watch it to learn more.
Sorry, I do not know one to recommend.

Best,
Darr

rollsman44

Hi Darr, Thank you That really Helps. So, in Camera should I set it to RGB and not s Rgb?
When I export them use Adobe RGB? For printing. TY so much

darr

If you are shooting RAW, no need to set camera settings.
If you shoot jpg, I assume your camera saves the file accordingly.

For printing, Adobe RGB out of Lightroom.

darr

TY I appreciate it. If I already exported the Files in s-RGB can I redo the export in RGB ? TY
Working out of Lightroom (LR) and using the original file you exported from, you can re-export whatever you want if the file is a RAW or TIF.
LR will allow you to export various file formats, but if it is a jpg original file, its color space will remain a jpg color space.

LR cannot take a smaller color space like sRGB and magically alter it to a larger color space like Adobe RGB.
The color space in the file at the time of export is what the export will be created from.

--

My recommended workflow for Lightroom (LR) is to shoot with all your cameras in RAW format.
Then you never have to worry if your image file has the most information to work with or not because it does already shooting in RAW.

My workflow for decades has been to edit my RAW files and save them as a TIF MASTER EDIT (ME) = (sample-file-name-ME.tif)
From the master TIF file that contains all my edits, I can export whatever I need, be it jpgs, pngs, tifs, etc.

It does not matter how many times you export from the master file; it remains a TIF file and can be exported to whatever you ask LR for.
A jpg file does not contain all the info a RAW TIF contains. Its color space is smaller.

Hope this answers your question.

Darr

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

My workflow for decades has been to edit my RAW files and save them as a TIF MASTER EDIT (ME) = (sample-file-name-ME.tif
Darr
Hi Darr,

I'm totally with you about the shooting in RAW, but can you explain to me the pros of exporting your RAW-file to TIFF format ? In my workflow, TIFF are used only if I want to edit the file in a program that does not take my RAW-files, like editing in NIK Efex ...

TIFF files are much bigger than my RAW-files and fill up disk space rather quickly !

Stay safe,
Rafael

PS : I'm with Capture One (v22), not Lightroom

darr

Hi Darr,

I'm totally with you about the shooting in RAW, but can you explain to me the pros of exporting your RAW-file to TIFF format ? In my workflow, TIFF are used only if I want to edit the file in a program that does not take my RAW-files, like editing in NIK Efex ...

TIFF files are much bigger than my RAW-files and fill up disk space rather quickly !

Stay safe,
Rafael

PS : I'm with Capture One (v22), not Lightroom
Hello Rafael,

I'd like to explain a few reasons for my approach, even though some might not be relevant if you don't use Photoshop (PS) and Lightroom (LR).

1. I prefer to preserve the integrity of the original RAW file. Hence, I maintain it beneath the TIF master file in a stack, as depicted below in screen captures.

2. Editing directly in PS can lead to permanent changes. Instead, I transfer the file to PS from LR as a TIF (using 'CTRL E' in LR works seamlessly). Once my editing in PS is done, I transform it into a 'smart object,' which is then returned to LR as a single TIF file. The magic of the smart object is it retains all the PS layers, making it convenient to modify back in PS ('CTRL E'), especially when integrating text and images, which is common in my graphic design work.

3. This method has been my mainstay for many years. My journey began as a graphic designer in the days of Compugraphic text and setting wax. A significant milestone for me was the introduction of the MAC 512k, then the MAC Pro, followed by an early version of PS in black & white circa 1988. While I've experimented with software like Capture One (included with my P45), my allegiance remains with Adobe. Having taught their applications in the classroom and based on my experience, there's no better combination than LR & PS for my needs.

Stripping away the Adobe-specific details, my core intent is to safeguard my RAW files. I use TIFs as my working files, which are neatly stacked atop the RAWs in my LR catalog. If you're unfamiliar with stacking, I've provided a visual explanation below.

Kind regards,

Darr

f6cvalkyrie

Hello Rafael,
I'd like to explain a few reasons for my approach, even though some might not be relevant if you don't use Photoshop (PS) and Lightroom (LR).
Darr
Hi, Darr, and thanks for your explanation !
I never use LR, PS very seldom, all image manipulation I do in Capture One, sometimes in NIK Silver Efex, and even rarer Focus Stacking in Helicon ...
I never add any graphical information on my pictures, except for a signature that comes automatically with the exporting from Capture One.

It was my understanding that RAW files are never modified when you edit them, be it in LR or C1. Am I mistaken ?

Kind regards,
Rafael

darr

Rafael,

You are correct in your understanding. When you edit a RAW file in LR or C1, the original RAW file remains unchanged.
Since the RAW file is never modified, you can always revert back to the original unedited state, no matter how many edits you've made.

Always ensure you have backups of your original RAW files to preserve their untouched state, especially if the photos have significant personal or professional value.

I elect to keep my original RAW files untouched and glance back at them when I edit or return to editing its TIF copy.

I continue to shoot two films of the same exposure (although I usually bump one a stop more) when I shoot 4x5 b&w film: one for processing and one as a 'file copy.'
It's how I was trained. ;)

Best to you,
Darr

f6cvalkyrie

Rafael,

I continue to shoot two films of the same exposure (although I usually bump one a stop more) when I shoot 4x5 b&w film: one for processing and one as a 'file copy.'
It's how I was trained. ;)

Best to you,
Darr

Darr, where I was trained, the "Leitmotiv" was : measure twice, cut once :)
Or (as I was trained in the Belgian Military Academy) it was : aim twice, shoot once :)

Have a nice day,
Rafael