The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Winter gloves for tech cam use

guphotography

Hi folks,

What do you use / recommend glove wise for winter shooting?

Ideally I don't need to take them off from getting camera out of bag, set up to touch operate the digital back.

Cheers

anyone

How cold is your winter?

I use Hestra bike gloves for warmer winters. If it‘s really cold, I use Mountain Equipment mittens over them and just take my hands out if needed.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Heat company gloves have a modular system. You can get the heat 2 which has removable finger cups which is handy for an IQ4 and then you can add layers to it. I looked at that topic at one point but figured my normal gloves would be okay given I rarely shoot when it is super cold.

But I thought a modular way is the smartest ie you get a base and a layer and depending on your needs you take both along or not. Removable finger cups are important to use the display, I feel.

guphotography

My winter is more wet than cold, but I'm heading to the alps for a week, so I may need something more substantial than moshi ones I currently use.

As much as I love the knit gloves for comfortable, they do not fare well with metalic objects.

Will look into all your suggestions, thanks gents.

rdeloe

My winter gets quite cold. People from really cold places in Canada call southern Ontario, where I live, "the banana belt" because it's not a proper cold. ;) But I work in -10 to -20 C all the time here, and that's plenty cold for me.

I've tried lots of cold weather gloves and have concluded that the only thing that actually keeps me warm is two different gloves: a pair of really good mittens that give warmth in between working, and a pair of lightly insulated shooting gloves for camera work. I use Sealskinz shooting gloves, which have served me well. It's a "shooting" glove because the index finger on each glove can be exposed for the "trigger" -- which in my case is the shutter release and the touch screen. All-in-one solutions just don't work sometimes.

dj may

You need layers, just like the rest of your body in the cold. I use a thin glove liner then a mitten with exposable fingers and then a mitten shell, which covers everything. Sometimes I substitute a glove for the mitten with exposable fingers if it is not too cold. My camera, Leica S3, can be operated with gloves on.

dchew

I second (or third?) the mittens with a liner. Even the best gloves I've tried aren't close to a mediocre pair of mittens. I use the Black Diamond or Marmot expedition mittens, but any of the really good ones are fine. I probably have a half dozen different liners.

Dave

SylB

I vote for Heat Company. A lot of adapted offers, all efficient. I have tested in very cold winter the Heat 3 ones for example, and it works !
You can find gloves for less difficult situations too.