The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Digital Back in AFI/HY6 Mount

Pieter 12

OG Hy6/AFI is two tone. Mod 2 is black.
I don't think that has any affect on what might fit. The grey parts are rubberized and will be sticky by now, though. I have a Leaf AFi, which is the original and a Mod2, everything is interchangeable with the possible exception of digital backs. If I remember correctly, the electrical connections are slightly different between the two.

buildbot

I don't think that has any affect on what might fit. The grey parts are rubberized and will be sticky by now, though. I have a Leaf AFi, which is the original and a Mod2, everything is interchangeable with the possible exception of digital backs. If I remember correctly, the electrical connections are slightly different between the two.
Maybe, I had/have a hybrid Mod 2/1 that works with all backs. Typical Mod2s don't work with Sinar due to licensing is what I heard?

You can clean up the stickiness via baking powder, it will polish off the rubber coating and leave the underlying plastic looking great.

Pieter 12

Maybe, I had/have a hybrid Mod 2/1 that works with all backs. Typical Mod2s don't work with Sinar due to licensing is what I heard?

You can clean up the stickiness via baking powder, it will polish off the rubber coating and leave the underlying plastic looking great.
I have heard baby powder (talc). But I am hesitant to put anything like that on my camera, concerned the fine powder could make its way inside.

Not sure about the licensing thing. Is the Hy6 Mod2 that sophisticated that licensing would come into play? I assume it is in the electronics, not a physical aspect.

Jessxi

Similar here, just got a Leaf Afi body to substitute my broken 6008i, got 4560 backs and acquired the 40mm Distagon, 50afd, 80afd and 180afd(sadly the af is not working). It's been my dream camera for years and now it's come true! Still very excited to hold it in hand. I'm also interested in purchasing a digital back if possible. Of course, priority goes to original poster Jesse. Thanks!
Great find! Hope you love the camera!

I am jealous that you have a film back & adapter, as I have been searching for an adapter but they are hard to come by. I'm till looking for a DB.

I'm aware. I've had the Leaf AFi, AFi-II 7, Credo 80, and 4560 backs. Traded them in for money to go towards my XF system. In 2020 I picked up a Mod 2 + 6060 back, sold that a little further down the road. Recently (today) picked up a Rollei Hy6 and a 6060 back, and then hopefully tomorrow I'll be purchasing the Mod 2, 4560 backs, and a Sinar eMotion 75. So from that, I'll be able to have a AFi w/ 4560 backs (that match), and a Mod 2 w/ 6060 back (to match).

I said nothing about compatibility - was simply commenting on appearance.

Pieter 12

Wow. Did you get all that from a single source, or multiple? What condition?--because the Hy6 family is pretty much unserviceable.

buildbot

because the Hy6 family is pretty much unserviceable.
Extreme emphasis on this. I tried to call key camera today, line was busy. Sent them an email. Are they still in business even? I miss my Hy6 and 6060 back...
The Leaf AFi/Hy6 system was the first medium format system I got into, but sadly the current ownership really sucks.
Perhaps there are better resources in HK/China for repair? I have heard rumors, but nothing more...

shanhw1978

Extreme emphasis on this. I tried to call key camera today, line was busy. Sent them an email. Are they still in business even? I miss my Hy6 and 6060 back...
The Leaf AFi/Hy6 system was the first medium format system I got into, but sadly the current ownership really sucks.
Perhaps there are better resources in HK/China for repair? I have heard rumors, but nothing more...
I know someone he can maintain and repair rollei hy6 in Guangzhou, China.

He fixed my AFD Tele-Xenar 180 ( AF did not work) as new as well .

He can maintain and repair Contax too.

Last edited:

buildbot

I know someone he can maintain and repair rollei hy6 in Guangzhou, China.

He fixed my AFD Tele-Xenar 180 ( AF did not work) as new as well .

He can maintain and repair Contax too.
Excellent, thank you. Hopefully I can get my camera back from Key Camera to try this person, they seem very competent (swapping in new chips is not easy!).