Results 4,651 to 4,700 of 10029

Thread: The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Quote Originally Posted by stevem8 View Post
    Thanks Jono!

Yea, I see what you mean on the trees. Sometimes, I go way overboard in my PP and I always tell myself to tone it down, and I don't! if I were to ever print this, I would take a different, less dramatic route. I must say though, you are the KING of the CLOUDS!

Steve
    Well, of course, I never do any PP at all, our clouds are just ......like ......that . . . . . . .

Hi Drama always works - even with people who say the don't like it (just like over-saturation).

I must say, for this kind of stuff, I've found Vivezza to be very effective, and a little more subtle that CS

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to have to break down and give Vivezza a try. Lots of great feedback I am hearing. Thanks again!

Steve
    Leica M8, M9 & Lens Reviews!
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve:

Terrific Halloween "Drama"! Wonderful!!
    Best to all,

Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! One more from today...35 Cron, F2. This lens is glued to my M9 right now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! One more from today...35 Cron, F2. This lens is glued to my M9 right now.

Very, very nice, Steve.

I understand about that 35 Cron. Sweet lens, for sure.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Lloyd,
    Thanks. At the moment, I'm Leica-less (unless a DL4 counts?) while I wait for an M9 to show up. I'm revisiting old images with new PP skills and software. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Lloyd,
    To bring out the clouds I used the Shadow/Highlight feature in CS3.

Steve
    Using these sliders can create some of the HDR look. They need to be very judiciously applied IMHO.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve

Is this the 35 cron asph or the pre-asph?

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. BTW, its the 35 cron ASPH, latest version.
    Last edited by stevem8; 21st October 2009 at 09:39.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple of "available darkness" pics from this weekend's wedding. A 1880s building in a small Michigan town, with a storage room above the reception area lit by 2 dim lights on extension cords.

M9 @ ISO 800. Wider shot with "exit" sign done with a 28/2 ASPH @ f/2, others all done with a 50/0.95 @ f/0.95.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    A couple of "available darkness" pics from this weekend's wedding. A 1880s building in a small Michigan town, with a storage room above the reception area lit by 2 dim lights on extension cords.

M9 @ ISO 800. Wider shot done with a 28/2 ASPH @ f/2, others all done with a 50/0.95 @ f/0.95.

-Marc
    Beautiful work, Marc. That .095 certainly sings. I gotta say, however, that there are no flies on that 28 Cron shot!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In the door panels of the Exit shot, and down onto the floor, there is a startling noise boundary happening. Is that just in the JPG?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

M9 @ ISO 800. Wider shot with "exit" sign done with a 28/2 ASPH @ f/2, others all done with a 50/0.95 @ f/0.95.

-Marc
    Beautiful! Love those 50 Noct shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Home Sweet Home
    35 Cron, F2, ISO 160 - B&W Conversion and grain added in CS3.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    In the door panels of the Exit shot, and down onto the floor, there is a startling noise boundary happening. Is that just in the JPG?
    My bad. Good catch. I did a dupe layer and tried to do some noise work because the f/2 lens just wasn't enough ... and somehow screwed it up, didn't feather it and skewed the layer ... couldn't see it as much on the tiff, but you sure can see it here when compressed. Oh well.

This might be a little better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My bad. Good catch. I did a dupe layer and tried to do some noise work because the f/2 lens just wasn't enough ... and somehow screwed it up, didn't feather it and skewed the layer ... couldn't see it as much on the tiff, but you sure can see it here when compressed. Oh well.

Better like butter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a vertical image that I want to post on this thread, what are the best settings to use to post either portrait or landscape? I am downloading from an exported file out of Aperture. The original is a 16 bit Tiff file and I'm exporting to a jpeg for the download.

Thanks.

Gary P

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Steven,

Did you ever read "Into the Wild"? Looks like it could be "the bus", great image! Technical question, I really like the grain look of the image. Did you put that there?

Gary P

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful images!!! For my own edification, what exactly were you doing in post and what was the dupe layer for?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
    I have a vertical image that I want to post on this thread, what are the best settings to use to post either portrait or landscape? I am downloading from an exported file out of Aperture. The original is a 16 bit Tiff file and I'm exporting to a jpeg for the download.

Thanks.

Gary P
    I use 72 dpi, and set the largest side of the image at around 875 pixels max. The max the forum allows is 900 pixels per the longest side, and will resize larger images, which sometimes results in a loss of quality. I do some sharpening for web view, but the forum applies some, so don't overdo. I also always set the color space to sRGB.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It does look better, but there is still something there:

Attachment 23906

The left 1/3 of the panel is much cleaner than the right part. Is it just a quick edit for the forum that is at fault, or is there something deeper?
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skimmel View Post
    Beautiful images!!! For my own edification, what exactly were you doing in post and what was the dupe layer for?
    Thanks.

The layer was an ill conceived and poorly done attempt at increasing the DR by selecting the deep shadow areas on a layer and lifting them without affecting the better lit subject area. In my rush to post here I didn't feather the layer or run a noise control program on it. So I just went back to the original and let the shadows go as is, which blocked up. I also did something even more stupid, but ...

However, this is a lesson as to why a super high contrast lens like the 28/2 ASPH isn't always the best choice for certain lighting conditions (we need a 28/1.4! ). All the Nocti series lenses seem better optimized for higher contrast lighting like experienced when shooting at night. I had less problems exposing a bit more for the shadow areas without blowing the subject's white dress highlights using the 50/0.95 (see attached). Being even a bit lower contrast than the f/0.95, I'd bet the f/1.0 version may have done even better in this specific lighting ... but I'm not sure the level of texture and detail would have been the same.

I think I just gave myself yet another lame excuse to get more pre ASPH M lenses ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=carstenw;147548]It does look better, but there is still something there:

Attachment 23906

Yes, it is deeper Mr. Eagle eye.

I actually had to merge two shots as layers along with using a dupe shadow layer because 28 @ f/2 was to contrasy ... and I simply botched it. Oddly, it looks fine in the print.

I'll just reprocess this shot, and see if there is another way. Wedding work isn't pure journalism, it's part magic for the clients, but it's tough to put one over on another magician

Look before you leap, or someone will look for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, some serious pixel peeping goin' on here... esp for Leica shooters

Interesting though...

(incidentally liked the shot in the first place, and post #379 version should be magical enough for even the most discerning client)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I do love your idea, by the way, even if the bride's expressions let it down a little!

I am just being hypercritical while looking at M9 images at the moment, since mine is on order. The improvements over the M8 seem very real, but there are still some things which give me pause, like the slight magenta cast in skin in some shots I have seen posted. It seems that the camera profile just needs optimizing, but I still hesitate when I see something like that, given the teething problems of the M8 (which I still love).
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do love your idea, by the way, even if the bride's expressions let it down a little!

I am just being hypercritical while looking at M9 images at the moment, since mine is on order. The improvements over the M8 seem very real, but there are still some things which give me pause, like the slight magenta cast in skin in some shots I have seen posted. It seems that the camera profile just needs optimizing, but I still hesitate when I see something like that, given the teething problems of the M8 (which I still love).
    Your are dead on the money concerning the magenta cast. I am still screwing around with fixing that. We do need profiles for this camera that do a better job. When I get a minute, I'm going to try processing a few in C1-Pro to see if it's any better.

The bride just wasn't the "bubbly" sort. And the drama behind the scenes was that just prior to cutting out a few minutes to go upstairs for these shots, they did a tribute dance to her brother who wasn't at her wedding because he shipped out that very day for deployment to Iraq.

Very sensitive eye there my friend.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your are dead on the money concerning the magenta cast. I am still screwing around with fixing that. We do need profiles for this camera that do a better job. When I get a minute, I'm going to try processing a few in C1-Pro to see if it's any better.
    Hi Marc - and Carsten WRT the Magenta Cast
    It is better in C1, in Aperture it's about the same.
    I've found that increasing the Red Hue by about 10% usually fixes it - and if it doesn't ,then reducing the red luminance slightly will help.

It was also a problem with the M8 - except that there I found it a great deal more difficult to deal with.

The bride just wasn't the "bubbly" sort. And the drama behind the scenes was that just prior to cutting out a few minutes to go upstairs for these shots, they did a tribute dance to her brother who wasn't at her wedding because he shipped out that very day for deployment to Iraq.

Very sensitive eye there my friend.
    May the lord preserve us from bubble-less brides

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Marc - and Carsten WRT the Magenta Cast
    It is better in C1, in Aperture it's about the same.
    I've found that increasing the Red Hue by about 10% usually fixes it - and if it doesn't ,then reducing the red luminance slightly will help.

It was also a problem with the M8 - except that there I found it a great deal more difficult to deal with.

May the lord preserve us from bubble-less brides
    Yeah, I figured that out in LR already ... but even after doing a manual WB, some shots in certain lighting are a bear to correct. However, in the case of shots done this weekend, I had images done with a Sony A900 in the same reception room lighting ... and they were also too red ... weird light temps I guess ... sunlight/shade, tungsten and florescent all in one shot.

Bubbly is boring ... grinning in every shot is what I wish God to preserve me from

Hey, these women aren't professional models, they do what they can ... which is why I preffer doing mostly candid shots over posed ones.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My eyes are still in training. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

I think will pick up one of those pocketable colour checkers from X-Rite. They come with a Lightroom plugin which does a quick colour balance on the image(s), and that is probably sufficient for my uses.

The thing which bothers me a little about the M9 is that rather than going back to a neutral startpoint, it introduces more complications, in the form of the new IR filter on the sensor, and the built-in corrections for that. This means potentially more complex problems with CV and ZM lenses, as well as a more complicated colour correction workflow. This makes me hesitate a little with my trigger-finger when it comes to purchasing. Even lenses like Leica's own 18mm have some colour issues, and my current feeling is that this time I would rather wait until these issues have been sorted. It is a chunk if cash, and after the M8, I would rather be a little patient than go through potential factory service etc. to get it as good as my M8 is by now.

Anyway, blah blah, I am just still being more picky than usual.
    Last edited by carstenw; 22nd October 2009 at 05:23. Reason: Typo
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The thing which bothers me a little about the M9 is that rather than going back to a neutral startpoint, it introduces more complications, in the form of the new IR filter on the sensor, and the built-in corrections for that. This means potentially more complex problems with CV and ZM lenses, as well as a more complicated colour correction workflow. This makes me hesitate a little with my trigger-finger when it cones to purchasing. Even lenses like Leica's own 18mm have some colour issues, and my current feeling is that this time I would rather wait until these issues have been sorted. It is a chunk if cash, and after the M8, I would rather be a little patient than go through potential factory service etc. to get it as good as my M8 is by now.

HI Carsten
    1. there are issues
    2. they aren't as significant as the issues with the M8 - even after all the firmware updates.

By all means wait, but I really don't think that waiting on the basis of the colour from Aperture and Lightroom (which will both, surely have profiles in the near future) is a good reason.

C1 does a grand job with the files.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My eyes are still in training. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

I think will pick up one of those pocketable colour checkers from X-Rite. They come with a Lightroom plugin which does a quick colour balance on the image(s), and that is probably sufficient for my uses.

The thing which bothers me a little about the M9 is that rather than going back to a neutral startpoint, it introduces more complications, in the form of the new IR filter on the sensor, and the built-in corrections for that. This means potentially more complex problems with CV and ZM lenses, as well as a more complicated colour correction workflow. This makes me hesitate a little with my trigger-finger when it cones to purchasing. Even lenses like Leica's own 18mm have some colour issues, and my current feeling is that this time I would rather wait until these issues have been sorted. It is a chunk if cash, and after the M8, I would rather be a little patient than go through potential factory service etc. to get it as good as my M8 is by now.

Actually, the color in LR is okay for the most part. Normal work it's pretty much there. It rears its head in these low mixed lighting scenarios ... but as I said my Sony had fits with it also ... as did my assistant's Canon 5D.

-Marc

BTW, my first 17 X22 just came out of the Epson 3800, and IT IS SPECTACULAR! Pixel peeper noise and junk seen on the computer screen is not there in the full sized print. WaHoooo! This M9 camera rocks!
    Last edited by fotografz; 22nd October 2009 at 05:09.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

1. there are issues
    2. they aren't as significant as the issues with the M8 - even after all the firmware updates.
    No question, I am not saying that I think it is a bad or flawed camera. It is just that it is a much more complex solution, where the M8 was simple, almost nave. Send it in for the sensor fix, slap a filter on every lens, done.

I pretty much have to sell my CV15, not because it isn't sharp enough, but because the IR correction in the M9 is more complex than before, and no truly satisfactory tool exists for fixing it. CornerFix might get there with time, but I am very reluctant to buy a camera contingent on future improvements (I learned that in the MF world ). Similarly, the Zeiss 18mm is probably out, and that was going to be my next choice. Even the Leica 18mm, my new choice, still has corner problems, and the whole magenta left-side-with-wides issue is something that I am watching very carefully.

To be sure, the M9 looks like it is several steps ahead of the M8 overall, but right now my M8 is working really well and I get great colours in almost every situation. The M9 introduces more complexity where what I want is simplicity. I just don't want to go through the improvement mill again, but just to buy in once the cake is properly baked.

I am not expecting a perfect camera, and once the magenta cast and various corner and side casts have been dealt with, I would buy immediately.

I do trust Leica to get it right, so once it is right, I will definitely buy in. For now, I might hold off on the purchase, unless I get offered a camera which behaves well with the 18mm and has a shutter as quiet as my M8u.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No question, I am not saying that I think it is a bad or flawed camera. It is just that it is a much more complex solution, where the M8 was simple, almost nave. Send it in for the sensor fix, slap a filter on every lens, done.

I pretty much have to sell my CV15, not because it isn't sharp enough, but because the IR correction in the M9 is more complex than before, and no truly satisfactory tool exists for fixing it. CornerFix might get there with time, but I am very reluctant to buy a camera contingent on future improvements (I learned that in the MF world ). Similarly, the Zeiss 18mm is probably out, and that was going to be my next choice. Even the Leica 18mm, my new choice, still has corner problems, and the whole magenta left-side-with-wides issue is something that I am watching very carefully.

To be sure, the M9 looks like it is several steps ahead of the M8 overall, but right now my M8 is working really well and I get great colours in almost every situation. The M9 introduces more complexity where what I want is simplicity. I just don't want to go through the improvement mill again, but just to buy in once the cake is properly baked.

I am not expecting a perfect camera, and once the magenta cast and various corner and side casts have been dealt with, I would buy immediately.

I do trust Leica to get it right, so once it is right, I will definitely buy in. For now, I might hold off on the purchase, unless I get offered a camera which behaves well with the 18mm and has a shutter as quiet as my M8u.
    I really don't think it is more complex - quite the contrary
    I wouldn't sell that 15 yet either!

Remember, your 21mm is the same as the 15 on the M8 anyway (and the 28 cron the same as the 21 lux!!).
    I'm pretty sure that all the 18's will be fine, the WATE is certainly okay (and if you buy one before anyone realises . .. there's one at ffordes for instance).

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike,
    I think these last three shots with the 50 lux are fantastic.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think it is more complex - quite the contrary.
    I wouldn't sell that 15 yet either!
    It is not simple, Jono, at least not yet, with specific focal lengths. The WATE might be okay (I had one, but sold it due to the horrendous workflow on the M8; I am wondering if it was a mistake, but the deal was done before the M9 was announced ). Anyway, I prefer primes, not zooms (which the WATE is, even if it only clicks at three points). A single clip-in optical viewfinder appeals much more than the frankenfinder.

If you have a Leica 18mm and are seeing magenta casts on the left, what should you do? Special Photoshop action? This was never necessary with the M8. I would rather wait until Leica gets to the bottom of this.

By the way, I don't have a 21mm at the moment. There is a gap from CV15 to 28 Cron. I have been considering the 21 Elmarit ASPH, but it is a bit older in the current lineup, and isn't the sharpest lens in the corners wide open, so I am also considering the 18mm, which is meant to be better, but has the magenta issues.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

The first fruits of a 'new to me' 21 2.8 Asph. The River Colwyn near Beddgelert.

I'm getting the 'left hand magenta' with this lens (actually at the bottom of the frame with this vertical shot) but find it can be mitigated by using the vignetting control and individual colour controls in Lightroom.

it's academic if you convert to monochrome, of course...

Attachment 23912

Attachment 23913
    Last edited by jlancasterd; 30th May 2010 at 04:50.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Carsten
    1. there are issues

By all means wait, but I really don't think that waiting on the basis of the colour from Aperture and Lightroom (which will both, surely have profiles in the near future) is a good reason.

C1 does a grand job with the files.
    You guys may also want to try Raw Developer on the M9 files. I have and so far find it as good or better than C1.

I am sure that LR, C1 and ACR will all have better profiles soon. What we have now is clearly not where we need to be

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Lloyd! Your images always look GREAT, thanks for the insight, I'll give it a try.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
    Thanks Lloyd! Your images always look GREAT, thanks for the insight, I'll give it a try.

Gary
    You're welcome. Looking forward to your results.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Splash!

90mm elmarit
    processed in LR3

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would like to see more LR3 processed stuff....please
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like

Not with LR3, but two M9 shots from today...

50 Lux pre at 1.4

50 Lux pre at 1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice, Steve. Lots of mojo in the M9. That RV on the previous page looks like an abandoned meth lab ... perhaps from someone who needed to cook up some ice for an M9 and a whole set of M lenses.

Kurt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

boring stuff with Lightroom 3 taken this evening.
    NO white balance or colour adjustment.
    All with 50 lux asph

It's gratifying to know that the only thing that the M9 really baulks at is pictures of Nick Griffin!

. . . . and in case you're impressed, no, I haven't read Clarissa (I did try really hard though )

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Rainy day walk - M9, 50 Lux pre at 1.4

Post Thanks / Like

and yet one more colorful fall shot...

50 lux pre-asph at 1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve, beautiful shots! Especially the b/w shot is one of the best I've seen from an M9.
    Best,
    Osman

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rainy day walk - M9, 50 Lux pre at 1.4

Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

A b&w from the Maine coast. M9 and wate.

---------------
    Steve
    www.finesart.com