Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 38 of 38

Thread: What's the next "hot" lens?

  1. #1
    Subscriber gogopix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    What's the next "hot" lens?

    I remember over the years this and earlier ("NOT TO BE NAMED") fora had this crowd gaga over various lenses; prices jumped, images abounded, trades were made on

    The 35-75/ 2.8 R
    The 135mm R "canada"
    the C/Y 21/2.8
    The 15mm R
    the 12mm Voightlander for M
    the 105-280 R
    Sumarex 85
    the 400mm 6.2 (sometime 560mm)
    The "MATE" (that played Rodney Dangerfield until someone said 'better than the primes' and you couldn't get one for your first born )

    Guess what; I have them all (except MATE - kept my firstborn instead) and use them all regularly (except 21.2.8 that is a bit overtaken by the WATE)

    Those were the days of enthusiasm- and were not off base.

    SO, what's now? Is it all going to be Medium Format? (until Guy rediscovers the DMR ) or is there still a Leica contingent snuffling out the gems of the past (one candidate, the 16mm)

    Come on the R isnt really dead (I just saw a Pentax K to Sony/Minolta "convergence lens" adapter 1:1. Leica could easily make an R lens to S adapter, single elemnet, to adjust for the registration distance, or maybe I WILL!) I will put $10 that either that or a 4/3 camera, 20+ MP for R lenses)

    The M is a winner, and can take R lenses.

    There are TONNES of older M lenses. SO, what the next hot one??



    Victor

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Here is my list of M mount lenses that may have a boost due to M9 users discovering them -- basically these are lenses that would not have made much sense on the M8, but have been brought back to the front due to the reappearance of full frame and lack of IR filters:

    90mm f/2.8 TE -- smallest M 90mm, very sharp stopped down, softer and flattering wide open.

    Any of the Konica M-Hexanon lenses -- these lenses were as good as the equivalent M lenses, but not many people outside of Japan ever got a chance to use them or were spooked by rumors of incompatibility. Those who did use them (or continue to) are suitably impressed.

    135mm f/4 Tele-Elmar M -- 135mm's did not make much sense on the M8...the Tele-Elmar is cheap, readily available, outstandingly sharp and one of those "apo but not labeled apo" lenses. It is a half a stop slower than the 135/3.4, but the differences in performance are very minor. The 135/4 TE is sharper than even most current M lenses.

    Old Canon and Nikon rangefinder lenses -- lenses like the Canon 35mm f/1.8, 135/3.5, 100/3.5, Nikon 50mm f/1.4 and 105mm lenses may find their way onto M9's that are looking for a classic look. These lenses are usually not too hard to find, and they are small, sharp (stopped down anyway) and have really nice signatures.

    The Canon 50mm f/.95 -- filters are no longer a problem and you are not using it on a cropped frame. This is always a lens a bit out of left field, but maybe it will become really popular again now that it can be used as a 50mm and without a huge IR filter.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  3. #3
    Member Seascape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    The 35 Summilux ASPH in chrome.

    Yes, there may be a better design coming, but this version does everything well (if calibrated correctly).
    It has the look and feel of a quality optic, and the performance is classic Leica

  4. #4
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Victor

    Interesting subject for the gear collector in me. If you look just at the M lenses...I believe it will be much different going to the M9 than we experienced with the M8.

    With the M8 ...you could begin to use older designs ...that produce beautiful soft renderings in the digital environment. Adding contrast(not really practical with slide film) was easy . Users complained that the modern designs (asphs for example ) were too sharp and contrasty (clinical in the way they render). Everybody had to find a pre asph 50mm summilux . My older M lenses sold in a few hours as I was preconditioned to upgrade to the asph designs.

    The other big trend was to adjust your "kit" for the crop sensor. This wasn t too difficult as you could move to a 21/2.8asph (28FOV) and the 28/2asph(37FOV). 35mm became less popular as did the 90mm...while the 75 s picked up. This also gave new life to the VC 12 and 15 ..which we really now your 16 and 20mm FOV .

    But the M9 is different IMHO ..beyond the rotation back to the traditional FOV ...35/50/90 and 28.....the M9 requires the better correction and higher resolution of the modern lenses. You can see the softness in the older lenses ..they are still useful but the M9 shines with say the 50 1.4asph .

    The VC lenses are also handicapped by lack of symmetry which causes the RED corners in the M9 ...a problem we didn t see on the M8.

    So I believe the hot lenses will be the best of the M class ...the 50/1.4asph; the 35/2asph and the 28/2asph. The sleepers ..forgotten but with new life on the M9 ...will be the 21 and 24/2.8asph and the 90/2.8Elmarit. Leica would be smart to introduce new summiluxes at 28,35 and 75. They would be over $6K but will sell enough to justify the design.

    Switching to DSLR ....Zeiss has done a great job of creating a traditional manual focus line of primes ..now available for Nikon,Canon and others. No searching required. great lenses 18 thru 100 . Leitax has created a replaceable mount for Leica and C/Y lenses to adapt them to N/C/P .

    The one lens I am looking for is the Leica 180/2.8 APO and I would love to adapt the 1.4APO extender to work with it(so I need the extender adapted on both sides). This combination would shine on the D3X and there is no real competition here.

    The biggest change will be the refocusing on absolute lens quality (verse character) ..the larger sensors show everything.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    IMO, the once and future king may be the 75 Lux w/6 bit code on a M9.

    I went through 3 different 75/2 ASPH and wasn't please with any of them. My dealer asked if I wanted to try a late model Geman 75 Lux with 6 bit code, and while reluctant due to having difficulty focusing that lens on a M8, I gave it another try. OMG! Perfect focus, beautiful OOF rendition, and sharp as hell at the focus point ... especially stopped down to f/2.

    Others may rediscover it also. It holds its own with my other Leica M lenses ... which are all ASPHs.

  6. #6
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Marc

    What didn t you like about the 75 summicron? I have both the 75 summicron and the summilux and find them quite different in how they render . Like them both for different reasons.

    The character (for lack of a better word) on the 75 summilux is very special. I can see why you would like it for weddings in particular. Has a lot of the Noctilux look only sharper .

    The 75 summicron is based on the 50 1.4asph formula and has that in your face punch of sharpness,contrast and color saturation. The biggest difference beyond the rendering is the handling with the 75 summicron having a small form and a short throw ...much better for street work .

    The 75lux is IMHO an expert lens...you really have to have your technique down to nail the focus consistently..not unlike the Noctilux. If you use an M regularly they both can produce some magic...but an in frequent user might prefer the 75 cron.

    I do like the lenses that you can "dial in the contrast" by stopping down. Thus having the ability to have a lower contrast look wide open and then had some zing by stopping down. The 75 lux is one of those lenses. If Leica doesn t announce a new version the value of the late model 6 bit versions will really go up.

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Marc

    What didn t you like about the 75 summicron? I have both the 75 summicron and the summilux and find them quite different in how they render . Like them both for different reasons.

    The character (for lack of a better word) on the 75 summilux is very special. I can see why you would like it for weddings in particular. Has a lot of the Noctilux look only sharper .

    The 75 summicron is based on the 50 1.4asph formula and has that in your face punch of sharpness,contrast and color saturation. The biggest difference beyond the rendering is the handling with the 75 summicron having a small form and a short throw ...much better for street work .

    The 75lux is IMHO an expert lens...you really have to have your technique down to nail the focus consistently..not unlike the Noctilux. If you use an M regularly they both can produce some magic...but an in frequent user might prefer the 75 cron.

    I do like the lenses that you can "dial in the contrast" by stopping down. Thus having the ability to have a lower contrast look wide open and then had some zing by stopping down. The 75 lux is one of those lenses. If Leica doesn t announce a new version the value of the late model 6 bit versions will really go up.
    Roger, two of the 75/2 ASPH I tried wouldn't focus correctly on my M9 at all ... which wasn't the camera since I can focus both a 50/0.95 and 75 Lux on it. The third one was still slightly off focus (three wasn't a charm : -(, so I finally decided since I had the 50/0.95 ASPH, I'd try the 75 Lux ... which focused perfectly (finally, some good luck).

    I find the M9 more accurate than I did the M8 ... even using a 1.15X or 1.25X mag. I also like the character of the 75 Lux for anything over 50mm since most work is of people. I guess that's why I prefer the 90/2.8 over the 90/2AA which I sold.

    I think it was you that said these fast lenses need not be used right on top of the subject all the time, and are much more accurate at a bit of a distance. That's how I tend to use the Noctilux and 75 Lux ... However, it seems that on the M9 I am getting a higher hit ratio with both then I seemed to before, even up close and personal.

    -Marc

  8. #8
    Subscriber gogopix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Interesting the differences found M8 to M9.

    I was actually hoping for a 'discovery' (I do have the 75 LUX that I find a really fine lens) but so far, no 'diamonds in therough?" (well, the 135 TE has always had a great reputation, and yes have that and the elmar and ASPH as well)

    No one has mentioned trying a Visoflex. No reason it shouldn't work. That would open some glorious tele lenses from 280 to 560.

    Victor

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    I am still waiting for an M9...which I am looking forward too..however Victor - old pal...using the contraption you refer to above so you can use long lenses on an M camera isnt just making a silk purse out of a sow's ear..no it is uglier than that!


    I am happy with the thought of my 21mm/28/35/50 and 75 being used the way the were designed to be used on a lovely full frame M! To be frank if I chck out my lens shots over the years 80% of them in film were made with a 50 - I have four of them...the rest are a toss up between 75 and 35..

    I have (of course) tried a 90 and even a 135..but for me anyway teh 75 is the limit of usefulness in M..its sweet spot is 21-50 AFIK from a few years street shooting and happy snapping-

    For me and my passion ( street) all I need is a 50 and a 28 - oh and an M9 when I can get my hands on one..

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    The Visoflex works flawlessly. It is just that the resolution of V-mount lenses is not high enough for the M9, with the possible exception of the 400/560 and 800 series.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  11. #11
    Subscriber gogopix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I am still waiting for an M9...which I am looking forward too..however Victor - old pal...using the contraption you refer to above so you can use long lenses on an M camera isnt just making a silk purse out of a sow's ear..no it is uglier than that!


    I am happy with the thought of my 21mm/28/35/50 and 75 being used the way the were designed to be used on a lovely full frame M! To be frank if I chck out my lens shots over the years 80% of them in film were made with a 50 - I have four of them...the rest are a toss up between 75 and 35..

    I have (of course) tried a 90 and even a 135..but for me anyway teh 75 is the limit of usefulness in M..its sweet spot is 21-50 AFIK from a few years street shooting and happy snapping-

    For me and my passion ( street) all I need is a 50 and a 28 - oh and an M9 when I can get my hands on one..
    Marc Jacobs has a $5200 'sows ear' bag that is all the rage in Central Europe

    Actually, the Visoflex on an M9 would be a 14MP DMR, and smaller If you haven't tried one, don't jump to conclusions - they are pretty simple, AND have mirror lockup

  12. #12
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Where did you leave the other 4 Mp, Victor?
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  13. #13
    Subscriber gogopix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Where did you leave the other 4 Mp, Victor?
    Yes, on the cutting room floor
    NO, There they are!!!!

    OK 18MP, better yet

    NOW, to the issue of Visoflex quality; I just HAPPEN to have a shot made with the old VF 280mm that I used with a VF to Hasseyblad adapter then Hassey to Contax 645 so This is a shot with a P45 non-plus, but still 39MP, I believe (been a while)

    Note that the crop (100%) is near the edge
    Last edited by gogopix; 25th January 2015 at 17:23.

  14. #14
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    That is a whole lot better than mine performs - but that is a first version, maybe there is a difference. The 200 I had was again way behind the 280..
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  15. #15
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Roger, two of the 75/2 ASPH I tried wouldn't focus correctly on my M9 at all ... which wasn't the camera since I can focus both a 50/0.95 and 75 Lux on it. The third one was still slightly off focus (three wasn't a charm : -(, so I finally decided since I had the 50/0.95 ASPH, I'd try the 75 Lux ... which focused perfectly (finally, some good luck).

    I find the M9 more accurate than I did the M8 ... even using a 1.15X or 1.25X mag. I also like the character of the 75 Lux for anything over 50mm since most work is of people. I guess that's why I prefer the 90/2.8 over the 90/2AA which I sold.

    I think it was you that said these fast lenses need not be used right on top of the subject all the time, and are much more accurate at a bit of a distance. That's how I tend to use the Noctilux and 75 Lux ... However, it seems that on the M9 I am getting a higher hit ratio with both then I seemed to before, even up close and personal.

    -Marc
    I have found a lot of the same issues in calibration exercises. Leica did not appear ready for the issues caused by the transition from film to digital . That extra little bit of latitude provided by the thickness of the film allowed for calibration specifications on the lenses that were too loose. In addition even minute errors in the sensor alignment were visible with the fast lenses. The original M8 s back focused with many of the summiluxes. They corrected this with the M8.2 and I noticed immediately that the focus point had moved forward. The M9 seems to be the best and if you viewed the video of the factory tour (on luminous landscape I believe). You will see the focus alignment rulers at each of the necessary distances. The cameras now look good .

    The lenses are of course all over the place because the 'in range tolerances" were established for film and not adjusted for digital. So a lens can test in tolerance and if its slightly "back" and the camera is slightly "back" ..you can not get there from here....both have to be adjusted. So a body that works great with other lenses can be "in tolerance" and yet not work with a specific lens. To make it further confusing(if thats possible)....the calibration has to be tested for at least three distances....1m,7m and infinity. It is quite possible to be acceptable at 1m and off a t 7m and infinity. This is rare but happens (especially with the 135apo) ....DAG told me this wasn t possible but later agreed that it is.

    The only way to deal with this is to follow what DAG does to calibrate a system. You start with a reference body and lens(sorry but that 90 summicron was the one...Leica has an old brass mount 90mm labeled REFERENCE LENS) ....I used my 75 summilux which Solms rebuilt to a narrow tolerance. Then with your reference body DAG can adjust any lens to proper calibration. Fortunately the M9 s appear spot on as my Noctilux works well but I could test forever ...so now I use the combination and only test if I seem to be missing.

    I assume that every other lens will go to DAG for calibration or if new get returned to Leica.

    Here is your test for the summilux. Hang a newspaper on the wall. At minimum focusing distance ...isolate the first letter in a sentence in the middle of a page. Thats my definition of "spot on" and with a 75 lux you get no more than 2-3 letters sharp. Then in normal usage you have the latitude to miss a little and still get a sharp image.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    IMO, the once and future king may be the 75 Lux w/6 bit code on a M9.

    I went through 3 different 75/2 ASPH and wasn't please with any of them. My dealer asked if I wanted to try a late model Geman 75 Lux with 6 bit code, and while reluctant due to having difficulty focusing that lens on a M8, I gave it another try. OMG! Perfect focus, beautiful OOF rendition, and sharp as hell at the focus point ... especially stopped down to f/2.

    Others may rediscover it also. It holds its own with my other Leica M lenses ... which are all ASPHs.
    I'm with you Marc, it's the only lens I regretted selling. Sharp, smooth, and can produce images that look like a 50mm and 90mm depending on subject distance. Luckily I found another late model a couple months ago.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Another possible gem for Leica M digital is the somewhat maligned 35mm pre-asph summilux. I saw some of Jim Collum's images and liked contrast and color on M8 images. I tried mine on an M8 recently and was surprised by how much better the resolution seemed at f1.4 then what I get on slow film. Plenty sharp at f2.8, and sometimes the funk at f1.4-f1.7 can compliment an image nicely.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    This lens is already a hot one, especially the German one. Not sure why one would want it coded, especially for the M9??

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    IMO, the once and future king may be the 75 Lux w/6 bit code on a M9.

    I went through 3 different 75/2 ASPH and wasn't please with any of them. My dealer asked if I wanted to try a late model Geman 75 Lux with 6 bit code, and while reluctant due to having difficulty focusing that lens on a M8, I gave it another try. OMG! Perfect focus, beautiful OOF rendition, and sharp as hell at the focus point ... especially stopped down to f/2.

    Others may rediscover it also. It holds its own with my other Leica M lenses ... which are all ASPHs.
    My Photography Blog here

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Hi Mike,,

    Like the 75/1.4, the 35 pre-asph is also in high demand (as are the 50/1.4 pre-asphs), with high prices for clean examples already up there. I like the last version (without infinity lock), and would love a Titanium version, but any clean example is probably a great keeper lens.

    Possibly helping to fuel this demand is that disappointed 35 ASPH users are realizing there is more distortion, more focus shift, and no glow of the old Mandler design.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    Another possible gem for Leica M digital is the somewhat maligned 35mm pre-asph summilux. I saw some of Jim Collum's images and liked contrast and color on M8 images. I tried mine on an M8 recently and was surprised by how much better the resolution seemed at f1.4 then what I get on slow film. Plenty sharp at f2.8, and sometimes the funk at f1.4-f1.7 can compliment an image nicely.
    My Photography Blog here

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
    This lens is already a hot one, especially the German one. Not sure why one would want it coded, especially for the M9??
    So the Exif information shows up when processing. I frequently use selective Exif info to select and bunch all shots done with one lens, then batch certain processing techniques.

  21. #21
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Here are the next hot lenses for my world of film and video.

    http://blog.fdtimes.com/?p=1085

    Thank you Leica!!!

    Ciao, Sully

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    I admit that I am probably one of the fewer (or maybe the only one) who prefers the newer designs of lenses.
    I prefer the 75 Summarit over the 75/1.4 because I can focus it faster, more accurate and plus I find the 75/2.5 deliever IMO better IQ without being clinical.
    I prefer the 35 Summarit over my older 35 Summicron (non asph) and my 35asph Lux because it just delievers better IQ than the 35cron, and it doesnt suffer from focus shift as the 35asph lux does (slightly). (I admit though that I miss f1.4 sometimes at 35mm)

    So for me the winners are the Summarits. Fair price, light weight, great bokeh, good IQ even wide open, reliable and fast focus.
    Plus I like the metal hoods (very good protection for the lens) and lens caps.

    I am dreaming about a new Noctilux but so far I can not justify the price.

    Another real interesting lens is the 24/1.4 IMO which allows shallow DOF combined with wide angle which can be interesting-however kind of special application.

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I admit that I am probably one of the fewer (or maybe the only one) who prefers the newer designs of lenses.
    I prefer the 75 Summarit over the 75/1.4 because I can focus it faster, more accurate and plus I find the 75/2.5 deliever IMO better IQ without being clinical.
    I prefer the 35 Summarit over my older 35 Summicron (non asph) and my 35asph Lux because it just delievers better IQ than the 35cron, and it doesnt suffer from focus shift as the 35asph lux does (slightly). (I admit though that I miss f1.4 sometimes at 35mm)

    So for me the winners are the Summarits. Fair price, light weight, great bokeh, good IQ even wide open, reliable and fast focus.
    Plus I like the metal hoods (very good protection for the lens) and lens caps.

    I am dreaming about a new Noctilux but so far I can not justify the price.

    Another real interesting lens is the 24/1.4 IMO which allows shallow DOF combined with wide angle which can be interesting-however kind of special application.
    I agree, I believe that was the purpose of the Summarit set. A more reasonable price point for new lenses that perform very well and are much smaller. IMO, the exception to that is the 90 Summarit which I liked less than the 90/2.8 which cost 1/2 the price.

    Personally, I have the need the need for speed ... and until the M digital can shoot ISO 1600+ very well I'll have to settle for the f/1.4 and Noctilux versions for what I shoot here in gloomy Michigan.

    BTW, once you shoot with the 24/1.4 what it does isn't a "special application" anymore : -)

    -Marc

  24. #24
    canon5dshooter
    Guest

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    The summarits are nice but I suspect that the Konica lenses will see a nice appreciation over time. I was a little surprised to see a Konica 50/1.2 go for 2800+ on ebay the other day.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    So, is there really something different about the German-made 75 luxes, is it another case of fantasy, like the belief the somehow the chrome 35 luxes don't suffer from focus shift? My understanding was that there was nothing different about the optical design or coatings between the Made in Canada and Made in Germany lenses. Does someone have proof that there is a difference?

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    2,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    I have a German one, but as far as I know there is no difference -- I think it is even the same glass, just assembled in Germany versus assembled in Canada. I believe that was the case with the Noctilux, though they might have been entirely built in Canada with Leica selling old stock...I think I have heard that too...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    I think there is a difference. Lighter flange on the German one. All German ones I've used focused perfectly. Canadian ones slightly off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alnitak View Post
    So, is there really something different about the German-made 75 luxes, is it another case of fantasy, like the belief the somehow the chrome 35 luxes don't suffer from focus shift? My understanding was that there was nothing different about the optical design or coatings between the Made in Canada and Made in Germany lenses. Does someone have proof that there is a difference?
    My Photography Blog here

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Hi! I am waiting for M9 and consider below lenses:
    - Voigtlander HELIAR 15mm f/4.5 Aspherical II
    and
    - Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 or Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm f/1.4

    I am confused. Should I expect color shift in corner(s) with each of that lenses? Can we remove it in LR?
    I saw some samples on flickr with M9 + VC 15mm. There was some color problem indeed, sometimes more, sometimes less visible...

    Or I should STOP considering that lenses at all and buy in longer time horizon - more expensive Leica ones?
    Do you think there is possible future correction, maybe with new firmware? Or Leica doesn't care for another producer lenses?

    Best Regards,
    Jerry_R

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    254
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    How about the Voigtlander f1.1 . I've seen some decent pics from that lens. I shoot with 2 M8s one with the 28 and the other with the 50 lux

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    I was thinking of 50mm 1.1 at the very beginning But:

    - I find my style using slightly wider focals, both 35 and 40 are OK. And in fact I treat 40 almost as standard, as on Cosina page: http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt...ns-top--e.html

    - If I would have 50mm - I would have to buy one more lens. The gap between 15 and 50 would be too big for me.

    - 50mm 1.1 is bigger and more heavy - I prefer to use smaller and lighter lenses.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    I used to 35mm and 85mm on 5D. Now I only miss ultra wide, so I asked about 15mm and corners issue...
    I also heard about Cornerfix, wonder if it may help with that lens on M9..?

  32. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Jerry, head over the L-Camera forum and there is a very long thread I started about the 15mm on the M9. Yes, it will have a slight red edge, and yes CornerFix will deal with it.

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
    I think there is a difference. Lighter flange on the German one. All German ones I've used focused perfectly. Canadian ones slightly off.
    Yes, but optically? I am highly skeptical that there is a real optical difference.

    I actually got one yesterday. It's a late-model Canadian one, and has been six-bit coded. It is absolutely mint and looks like it was almost never used. The focus is dead on and the pictures look identical to anything I have from a German lens I borrowed. The best thing: It cost half of what people are asking for the German lenses.

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Thanks Alnitak!
    I found it. Good news!

  35. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Probably the next version of the Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH
    Leica MP, Leica M9P, Summilux 35/1.4 FLE, Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/feier/ My 500px

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    maybe this nifty collapsible 50 -



    Some images from mine taken yesterday with M8, ISO 160 @ 2.4 are here
    My Photography Blog here

  37. #37
    canon5dshooter
    Guest

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Ampguy, that is a nice looking lens. Can you collapse that puppy into an M9?

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What's the next "hot" lens?

    Thanks! No M9 to try, does collapse into an M8 fine, but Leica doesn't recommend any collapsible lenses with the M8, so probably best to keep extended.

    It goes back a few mm more than a Collapsible Summicron, but many mm less than an old Elmar.

    Quote Originally Posted by canon5dshooter View Post
    Ampguy, that is a nice looking lens. Can you collapse that puppy into an M9?
    My Photography Blog here

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •