Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The X1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The X1

DPR has just posted their review of the GXR A12 and made comparisons with the X1. The GXR beats it in high ISO performance, JPGs, and greatly beats it in dynamic range. It is also faster, has movie mode, and is more customizable to the individual user with much better MF. Finally it costs about $800 less. You might want to read the review and check it out.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think the GXR A12 competes with DSLR's, Micro Four Thirds or even the M8. I base that solely on the fact it can change lenses where as the X1 cannot. All and all though, the Ricoh does look like a nice camera.

It will be interesting to see what direction they take in lens development and whether consumers will support such a proprietary camera.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Took an X1 out for a 5 minute spin yesterday and, of course, didn't take any time
    to read the manual.
    Files very impressive up to 800 though there seems to be noise reduction
    being applied in heavier doses as the iso setting increases.
    Af seemed very accurate, and quick, even for close subjects.

Did find that Raw files were taking 5-6 seconds to write during which time the
    camera seemed unresponsive.
    Perhaps, there are settings that deal with this that I did not discover.
    Visually, the camera looked slick but, in hand, felt somewhat plasticly.
    Better value would have been spent adding a touch of, or a touch more, metal
    to the camera housing instead of dedicating such an effort to the packaging.

Mark
    www.marktomalty.com

terryc

At the risk of sounding defensive, but more to clear-up a few points;

The Leica X1 has an aluminum top and bottom plate, magnesium body and aluminum dials.

SD card speed is important (for most cameras). The X1 will not write DNG only files and must include a JPG (fine or Super fine as they call it). As a result it becomes that much more important to use a very fast r/w spec'd card and preferably something like the SanDisk 'Extreme' with up to 200x read/write speeds. From my experience - the faster the card the better in the X1.

As for ISO and noise reduction - I will leave that to others to debate - I have shot at ISO 800 and have been pleased with the relatively clean images. I am not likely to shoot beyond 800 ISO anytime soon so we can leave that for my purposes.

It is a very small very capable bundle. Albeit it is expensive. Most important it is NOT a GRX

Best to all. Terry.

Post Thanks / Like

The Leica X1 has an aluminum top and bottom plate, magnesium body and aluminum dials.

What ? No steel !

Guess not as then the magnet on the packaging would get stuck
    to the camera :>))

Regardless of the materials used in the camera it is a very capable
    little device.

Mark
    www.marktomalty.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    DPR has just posted their review of the GXR A12 and made comparisons with the X1. The GXR beats it in high ISO performance, JPGs, and greatly beats it in dynamic range. It is also faster, has movie mode, and is more customizable to the individual user with much better MF. Finally it costs about $800 less. You might want to read the review and check it out.
    One question would be how usefull is a 50mm FOV prime lens compared to the 35mm FOV of the Leica.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well 50mm equates to the normal human eye field of view. Anything else is greater. That is why back in the old film days most cameras came with a stock 50mm prime lens as the basic lens. I like the wider field of view of a 35mm but really a 28mm is the handier field of view when shooting interiors and the 50 allow you to not have to get quite as close to your subjects when street shooting so there are pluses and minuses. #5mm is sort of a compromise so you don't need a 50mm and a 28mm but like any compromise you give up something, either not quite wide enough or you must get closer and suffer the distortive effect on people's faces of makeing their noses more prominent.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought 40 was the real "normal"

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

50 is the new 40

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For 1 lens use I find 35mm most flexible. Plus its easier to crop a little vs having to paint around the image.
    The other thing I dont understand why does one have to change the sensor with the lens? Why to buy a new sensor with each lens you have? Anyways, the Ricoh looks like another great option, I just thought that a 35 mm prime would have been more attractive to me.
    On the other side a 28-50 combo could be all one needs.
    Overall I really hesistate to pay so much money for an x1. In film times yes, but today, when new models and sensors appear each year or 2nd year its more difficult for me.
    If focus was faster and mf better usable it might look different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I thought 40 was the real "normal"
    You may be right but I always heard it was 50mm and as I recall that was the popular lens back in the old film days.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, since I come from "back in the old film days" I'll take a shot at answering this one for you. Back then we didn't have nearly as many choices as you do today for focal length. Most of us were lucky to be able to afford one decent lens, as gear was also a lot more expensive relative to where it is priced today. Most decent systems came with a 50mm lens as a kit. The 35 was probably third, after buying yourself a telephoto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well coming from the same era, as I recall, a 28mm was really expensive and out of reach for many of us.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

The 50 used to be standard because it was the cheapest lens to make. Anything shorter needed to be retrofocus (for SLRs), or at least a wide-field design, which means more lens elements, tighter tolerances and less speed. The speed thing was important, because ASA 100 was considered 'fast.'

Photons were scarce in those days, and color photons doubly so...

Of course, that's all before my time, so I could be wrong about that last bit.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Kodachrome 10.

Post Thanks / Like

My X1 will be arriving (San Francisco area) this Tuesday and I am excited to give it a nice strong workout. In the same basic niche I also have the GF-1 and a G1 so it will be interesting to compare/contrast.

I really struggled with the decision between the X1 and the GXR. I love my GRDs and the output I have seen from the GXR has been terrific. I decided to give the X1 a try as I really enjoyed their last real "pocket" 35mm camera, the CM, and look forward to seeing how my D300 sensor performs in a compact.

If I am not too taken by it I may make the move to a GXR... time will tell

Fun stuff!!

Kent

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, This is too funny not to post. Went out to shoot the X1 before having to send it back to Leica. I had just walked up across the grass to an outdoor sculpture that I wanted to shoot. So, a couple of seconds later the police stop on their horses and I couldn't figure out why they were leaning forward. OK, I've never seen anyone get horses to pee on demand. I guess they listen to the police

Now for image quality, this is pretty heavily cropped and pretty close to full size. Camera has great IQ.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, This is too funny not to post. Went out to shoot the X1 before having to send it back to Leica. I had just walked up across the grass to an outdoor sculpture that I wanted to shoot. So, a couple of seconds later the police stop on their horses and I couldn't figure out why they were leaning forward. OK, I've never seen anyone get horses to pee on demand. I guess they listen to the police

Now for image quality, this is pretty heavily cropped and pretty close to full size. Camera has great IQ.
    That is funny.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

You may be confusing cause and effect. It's the horses peeing that cause the cops to lean forward, shifting their weight off the horses' hind legs. Now getting them both to pee at the same time; that's a trick.

Steve

henricus34

Quote Originally Posted by henricus34 View Post
    Terry

i made a small test a couple of days ago,results were more than ok.

The following settings of camera
    Camera set to shutoff at 10 min
    Camera on MF and set on 2m (just set at 2m no focussing)
    Then took pictures with opening 2,8 - 4 - 5,6
    Result at 2,8 sharpness from 1,8 m to 3 m
    4 " " 1,8 m to 4,5 m
    5,6 " " 1,8 m to 7 m
    Sharpness by 100% enlargement
    I DID NOT TRY f 8 since above distances are ok for me.
    The camera shutoff after 10 min,suggest to make a extra picture after lets say 8 - 9 min, and delete that pic afterwards.

Hope this is a help for you

Regards

Harry
    Harry, this is super helpful. I will use this and then try what happens right in the middle between the 2m and infinity mark.
    Terry,

another test this time during a concert last Sunday.
    iso 3200

slight noise reduction and some sharpening before conversion to jpg.
    Found focus quickly to my suprise.
    F4 - 60

Johann Wolfgang

lets have a look into LUF = LeicaUserForum
    http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...-ber-hren.html

a lot of X1 photos

Regards
    Johann

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

TEBNEWYORK,

What happened to your review? I haven't seen you posting much on this camera in a while now.
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is someone doing a picture a day with the X1 and they are very, very good

http://www.blipfoto.com/damnsharp

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

TEBNEWYORK,

What happened to your review? I haven't seen you posting much on this camera in a while now.
    John,
    A couple of things. I got back from the workshop and immediately left town for some business meetings so I haven't had much time yet to get my thoughts in order.

Also, when I got to the Salton Sea workshop I started using the S2 and bonded with that camera. So, a lot of the time I would have devoted to the X1 got used up in medium format land.

What I can say right off the bat is that I can feel the difference between my GF1 and 20mm lens vs. the wideness of the X1. The X1 was a bit more out of my comfort zone for a single focal length. The IQ for the camera is very, very good. More to come over the weekend as I arrived back in SF midday yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The problem I have with his photos is that they are 99% still shots with no moving subjects and the images are so small one can't really evaluate the IQ.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

John,
    A couple of things. I got back from the workshop and immediately left town for some business meetings so I haven't had much time yet to get my thoughts in order.

Also, when I got to the Salton Sea workshop I started using the S2 and bonded with that camera. So, a lot of the time I would have devoted to the X1 got used up in medium format land.

What I can say right off the bat is that I can feel the difference between my GF1 and 20mm lens vs. the wideness of the X1. The X1 was a bit more out of my comfort zone for a single focal length. The IQ for the camera is very, very good. More to come over the weekend as I arrived back in SF midday yesterday.
    Seriously considering the S2?

Looking forward to the X1 review. I'm interested in the camera and curious to read your impressions.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got mine today. Initially it takes a bit to get used to the focus and exposure, but I am really enjoying this camera. One observation is that sometimes images on the live view look soft or OOF, but after loading them on my computer the IQ is quite impressive. These are not great shots by any measure but just a couple of quick ones early this morning.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Popflash says they will have X1's next week and I'm 2nd on the list for the 5 incoming.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I played around with the X1, but it just seemed to me to be too delicate and almost prissy
    The fixed lens and the Sloooooow operation convinced me to pursue it no further. I have a short attention span.
    OTOH, by contrast the GF1 is a blast.
    -bob

terryc

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I played around with the X1, but it just seemed to me to be too delicate and almost prissy
    The fixed lens and the Sloooooow operation convinced me to pursue it no further. I have a short attention span.
    -bob
    Just an amazing contribution to this discussion, articulate, clever, and insightful.

Thank you. Terry

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

We got our first shipment about 10 days ago and will be posting a three part review soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica X1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one more from the other night .....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are some more shots from the X1 I will do the write up with the shots in the review section in the next day or so....

Bottom line -
    Image quality is very very good
    For speed it is better used on manual focus with the distance scale but depending on what you are shooting that doesn't matter
    Doesn't focus quite as close as I would like - I hit that limit a number of times
    Start up is not fast/nor is reviewing images.
    I popped the flash up a lot when I didn't mean to - need to get used to it
    Botton placement is very good but keep eye on the dials on top deck they can be inadvertently changed.

I will put each group of shots in a separate post.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First up - just a snap of a little get together as a colleague was leaving.
    ISO 1600 - no qualms whatsoever using the high ISOs
    Completely untouched file in LR3 Beta.
    Neither crop is in the area of best focus was just demonstrating how clean/noisy this ISO is

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Next up the camera only will take a RAW + jpegs. I was shooting at the cameras normal jpeg settings and was using the lower quality jpegs. Have to say I do like the jpeg output.

RAW - with my adjustments

jpeg - with my adjustments - I like the jpeg better

great detail - strange this looks better on my monitor in LR and this is not downsized.

Last edited by Terry; 14th March 2010 at 07:13.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The shots I was trying to take when the police were having the horses "relieve" themselves.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Out to lunch with a friend
    RAW and jpeg - both untouched to compare.
    Notice how the jpeg handles the light from the window - it works to not blow the exposure.
    Also, you can see the sharpening in the jpegs looking at the skin/eye crop.

RAW

jpeg

RAW crop

jpeg crop

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two other shots.

First up through a window out to the patio

Another window - with reflections but I liked the window display...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, those JPEGs are impressive, but given all the quirks, I think Leica has a few iterations to do before I am ready to lay out $2K+ on this. I am waiting with interest for a replacement to the D-Lux4 if there is one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Terry, those JPEGs are impressive, but given all the quirks, I think Leica has a few iterations to do before I am ready to lay out $2K+ on this. I am waiting with interest for a replacement to the D-Lux4 if there is one.
    Brad the image quality is really quite nice.
    Funny I felt the difference between 35mm and 40mm of the GF1. 35mm was feeling wide for a single focal length for me.
    If the camera had a zoom it would be great for me.
    I did hear that firmware is being worked on. I have no doubt that they will continue to improve it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Terry.

I pulled the trigger on a X1 and am also quite impressed. Couple of kinks but nothing bad enough to wish I waited. I don't recall reading about any X1 owners that are sorry they bought it.

Certainly the next generation anything improves on its previous model but that's the classic technology dilemma. Two grand is a lot of money although the X1 is less than most Leica lens.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, what happened to the review?
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I came back from Salton Sea with not enough pictures and a ton of stuff at my day job - the one that allows me to dabble in cameras.

Essentially my take isn't any different that what has been said.
    Image quality - excellent all the way through the ISO range
    AF - slow but very useable
    Close focus not quite close enough for my taste
    Shutter lag with AF - a little bit long for my liking (after AF before shutter release)
    Size and User Interface - love it
    Start up/Shut down - slower than I would like
    Lens - For a single focal length I prefer 40mm FOV.

I did not have enough time to use it with the OVF and on Manual Focus for a street camera but can be pretty promising.

Any specific questions???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taking everything into consideration how would you compare it to your m43 camera(s)? Is there a particular reason you did not get enough pictures with it at the Salton Sea workshop? Finally are you ready to abandon your m43 for an X1? If not why not?
    V/r John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Taking everything into consideration how would you compare it to your m43 camera(s)? Is there a particular reason you did not get enough pictures with it at the Salton Sea workshop? Finally are you ready to abandon your m43 for an X1? If not why not?
    I didn't get enough X1 pictures at the Salton Sea workshop because I was shooting with the S2 much of the time.

I was never considering abandoning my m4/3 for the X1. I use m4/3 as my everyday gear. While I do carry the GF1 with the 20mm much of the time, I am not ready to go with the Sony A900 and X1 combo for my gear. So, for me, I need the additional lenses that go with the m4/3 system.

The X1 trial was really to see if I wanted to add on a single focal length small camera with an interface that I liked from the M8. Once I started using the S2 and a dslr form factor for medium format I started to rethink my overall camera gear. If I'm even considering MF spending $2K on the X1 does not make any immediate sense. The S2 is a very expensive system so I wanted to make the most of the opportunity to shoot with it before rethinking my gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you are looking at MF, what are your thoughts on the new Pentax 645? While it is initially only being marketed in Japan there are already companies looking to offer it in the US and other countries. Certainly priced attractively with a wide range of lenses available.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    -bob
    That was my impression too. I shoot bracketed all the time. The X1 will display a nice message to wait. Then looking at the images is slow too. Yes the image quality is there. Only one focal length and the slowness were not made for me.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you are looking at MF, what are your thoughts on the new Pentax 645? While it is initially only being marketed in Japan there are already companies looking to offer it in the US and other countries. Certainly priced attractively with a wide range of lenses available.
    I've posted extensively on this thread

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14201

Actually, there aren't a lot of the FA lenses available in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get enough X1 pictures at the Salton Sea workshop because I was shooting with the S2 much of the time.

I was never considering abandoning my m4/3 for the X1. I use m4/3 as my everyday gear. While I do carry the GF1 with the 20mm much of the time, I am not ready to go with the Sony A900 and X1 combo for my gear. So, for me, I need the additional lenses that go with the m4/3 system.

The X1 trial was really to see if I wanted to add on a single focal length small camera with an interface that I liked from the M8. Once I started using the S2 and a dslr form factor for medium format I started to rethink my overall camera gear. If I'm even considering MF spending $2K on the X1 does not make any immediate sense. The S2 is a very expensive system so I wanted to make the most of the opportunity to shoot with it before rethinking my gear.
    Terry,

must say I was not following any of the Pentax or X1 threads very much lately, but reading your thoughts about the X1, A900, m43 and S2 is interesting and reflects a lot of my thoughts and findings.

Owning now the H3D39 and some lenses I must say this is a really great MF system, although as we all know not comparable WRT form factor to the S system, but much cheaper. Now if I would need to choose a compact MF system I would most probably go with the S2, main reason for my Hasselblad choice was the price and the lack of WA lenses for the S.

WRT m43 - I own and love this system (EP2 with 17 and 14-45) and I was only using this system since I bought it and no longer the A900. Does not mean that the Sony was bad by any means, but just too big and heavy compared to m43 and quality - well if you really need high quality then nothing will top MF. So I sold the A900 and as I am looking especially for a good DSLR for wildlife I am back into a D700 and some of the latest Nikon glass. Will also add the 200-400VR but that is another ball game - yes this lens is big and heavy but versatile for wildlife. If only there would be some real great tele zooms for the S system then this would be the system of choice, but I think we need to wait for many more years before we will see this - so meantime for wildlife I will use Nikon.

The X1 or any other of these like DP2s etc - very nice gear and there is always the "want to have" thinking - but as you say as soon as you have m43 this system is much more flexible and very good in quality so why really invest in any of these cameras. But I must say I would really love to try the DP2s as I see it generates superb results. But knowing me, I most probably would sell it pretty soon again, as I would miss the versatility of m43.

WRT S2 - do yourself a favor and go for it Maybe wait another few months to see which lenses are following on the path which you might want to get. Maybe once the lens lineup gets more complete I will reconsider it instead of my H3D39. It is for sure a great system, the focal lengths you are using (as I can recall) most times seem to be well covered and no DSLR will top the IQ of the S2 or come even close. If you are not in a type of photography where you demand extreme tele and fast AF then there is nothing topping the S system.