The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Early M8 versus brand new M8

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Hi All,

I am a neophyte when it comes to the M8 and it's line. I'm considering purchasing a used M8 and wanted to better understand my options (and avoid headaches).

I know that early M8's had issues. Are the serial numbers set up in such a way that all after number XXX are just fine?

Is there any difference between an early M8 that has been updated and a brand new one? I see some very original ones that are very cheap (well relatively speaking!), and I'm guessing that they haven't been updated. How much does it cost to get it fixed?

Thanks for all the info,

-Chris

carstenw

They didn't originally, but if the original owner didn't have it done, I don't know if they would for a second owner. It would be worth asking. Keep in mind that it might take them some weeks to turn the camera around.

K

KJB

If you already have a relationship with a Leica dealer in your area I'd have them send it and Leica should provide you with an estimate on the repair charges (if any) prior to any work being done. I bought my M8 second hand back when they were impossible to find and have sent it in recently for the fix and from what I understand, it is being covered under warranty. Your dealer milage may vary of course so the best bet would be to make sure the original owner sends it in for the fix prior to selling. You can check for any banding simply by shooting a bright light source just outside the frame.