The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

VC 35mm F/1.2 II

A

a_summarita

Does anyone know when will this be released? I am craving for the 0.5m close focus! Just sold my Leica 35mm Lux. Looking for alternatives 35mm. Not sure if I want to wait or...

(sorry for the lame thread :( )

Millsart

The rangefinder can only focus down to 0.7m though can't it ? If so, it seems that it would be impossible to get reasonable focus with such a fast lens without the RF, and even with the RF wide open at MFD its got to be pretty tough

Millsart

I guess it depends of course if you are talking about a Leica or a something like a Zeiss Ikon which does go down to 0.5m.

My 15mm CV focuses down closer than 0.7m and given its 15mm its pretty easy to approximate closer focus distances than I can confirm with the RF but with a 35mm I just don't know how you'd be able to really guess at what the focus is unless you got out a tape measure.

I've got a 35mm f1.2, original version in the mail right now, which was my lower cost alternative to a Lux, so I guess I'll know firsthand just how tricky it can be at MFD, but I'm thinking my keeper rate is going to be pretty low, at least unless I stop it down a bit

A

a_summarita

let me know if it's not your cup of tea and plan to sell it :D

Millsart

let me know if it's not your cup of tea and plan to sell it :D
Will do. I actually bought it for the M8 as I wanted the 50 equiv and then came across a M9, so now 35mm is back to 35mm which I'm not used to.

I think it should still be a pretty nice lens on either the 1.33 or full frame though

exile

I must have missed some news - do you have confirmation that CV are even working on a new version?
I certainly hope so; I have the first version and it is a fantastic lens in all respects except size/weight (which only really rules it out for me as a single-lens walk-around 35mm, but is acceptable as part of a kit bag).

Millsart

From what I understand on the new lens, its really not going to be any smaller/lighter but actually came about from the companies lack of being able to source one of the aspherical elements used in the original so they had to redesign it a little.

If thats an improvement for the better or not remains to be seen, as does the price. Cameraquest is taking $100 deposits though they've got no further info, just FYI.

I'm sure there will be much debate between the old and new ones in the months ahead lol

leicashot

I'm first on the Cameraquest list for this lens so will let you know when I get it....just have to organise another M body by that time ;-)

Brian S

I seem to recall one Leica lens going to 0.65m, so it would not surprise me if the RF went slightly closer than 0.7m. Some people use these lenses on mirrorless cameras, which can make use of the close-focus. Nikkor 5cm F1.4 and 5cm f2 Rigid lenses in LTM focus to 18", as does the Tanar 5cm f2 in LTM. Full ability to close focus these lenses did not exist until mirrorless cameras came out.

Millsart

That is a good point Brian, NEX and m4/3 would work well as your focusing using live view. I don't now quite how practical a rather large and $1200 35mm f1.2 would be for such a camera, but it would work.

Given the 2x crop factor though it would make it a 70mm lens and I'm not really sure how useful that would be for most subjects at 0.2m.

Certainly could prove to be a nice shorter portrait lens at more normal distances though