The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8: How does it know what F stop Im using?

dude163

The camera is magic!!

how does it detect what f stop I am using, even though the lenses are manual?

Is it some light detection algorithm? or a mechanical connection between the lens and camera?

Thanks

jonoslack

The camera is magic!!

how does it detect what f stop I am using, even though the lenses are manual?

Is it some light detection algorithm? or a mechanical connection between the lens and camera?

Thanks
It makes an educated guess . . . good though!

dfarkas

Workshop Member
If you look at the front of the camera, there is a small bluish dot to the upper left of the Leica red dot. This is a secondary light meter. It takes an EV reading then compares the current shot's ISO and shutter speed to calculate the aperture. While not 100% accurate due to the reading not being through the lens (TTL), it is usually within a stop of the actual aperture.

David

....how does it detect what f stop I am using, even though the lenses are manual?...
One might say the M8 (and the M9) has two exposure meters. One measures light through the lens, and that´s the one that actually determines exposure times in Auto, or generates the readouts in Manual.

The other, simplified one has its cell in the little round window just beside the Leica ´red dot´. It measures light falling directly on the front, and so has no idea of the f/stop set on the lens, but the coding on the lens (or the manual lens setting) tells it the maximum aperture (it also probably helps in setting auto white balance, but that´s another thing).

So, the difference in reading is assumed to depend on how much the lens is really stopped down, and thus the f/stop setting can be computed.

But, just as an old-fashioned MR meter with external cell is usually less accurate than a TTL meter (influenced by stray light outside the image field & c), this comparison doesn´t give exact results.

Edit: Dave beat me to it, just when I was writing....

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I'm guessing that the lens has to be coded for this to work???
For focal length and max aperture data, yes, you need to be using a 6-bit coded lens on the M8. The M9 has an option to manually select the lens from a menu.

LR and C1 display aperture info. I don't think Aperture reads and displays this info (a little ironic, actually). Any Aperture users want to chime in here?

David

dannh

Unfortunately, this system doesn't work very well when using a strong ND filter. I guess that makes sense though, there's no way for the camera to know what you're putting in front of the lens, and obviously a lot less light is getting through.

peterc

LR and C1 display aperture info. I don't think Aperture reads and displays this info (a little ironic, actually). Any Aperture users want to chime in here?

David
its true, Aperture can't display the aperture... :mad:
I was pleasantly surprised when I used C1 and got the aperture info

Peter