Site Sponsors

Thread: Elmarit R 19mm vs M 21mm vs Zeiss 18mm

Post Thanks / Like

Elmarit R 19mm vs M 21mm vs Zeiss 18mm

I am thinking of getting the R19mm and use it on the M8 with an adaptor. Would appreciate comments on its IQ vs the other 2 lenses, and how well does a R to M adapter work.
    Thanks,
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Elmarit R 19mm vs M 21mm vs Zeiss 18mm

When I had both the 21mm ASPH and the 19mm and I was shooting slides, the 19mm was the better lens. I sold my 21mm ASPH before I got the M8, so I cannot do a comparison for the M8. The 19mm doesn't take filters, so it would probably best to use one of the lenses that you can fit a UV-IR filter to.

The adapter is just a spacer tube with a M mount on one end and a R mount on the other. There is no focus coupling.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    When I had both the 21mm ASPH and the 19mm and I was shooting slides, the 19mm was the better lens. I sold my 21mm ASPH before I got the M8, so I cannot do a comparison for the M8. The 19mm doesn't take filters, so it would probably best to use one of the lenses that you can fit a UV-IR filter to.

The adapter is just a spacer tube with a M mount on one end and a R mount on the other. There is no focus coupling.

Robert
    Thanks Robert, especially for pointing out the filter issue. I was thinking about selling my 21 and 18 and getting the 19 for both the M8 and possibly the R10. But the filter problem killed that idea.

Alan

Digital Dude

Dang, I would have thought the 21-Elmerit would have been a good option on the M8.
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
    Dang, I would have thought the 21-Elmerit would have been a good option on the M8
    Regards,
    The 21 Elmarit both ASPH and pre-asph are great for the M8. We were talking about the 19mm Leica R lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the 21 asph and wouldn't think of parting with it. I also love the R19 but the lack of UV/IR makes it a non starter. I do use the R15 Elmarit with an adapter on the M8 and it works fine.l simply turn lens recognition off and take what I get regarding IR because there is no filter possible for the 15. I have gotten a lot of good landscapes with this lens but as a general purpose wide I would recommend the Zeiss 18 4.0 as a better choice all around

Woody

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    I do use the R15 Elmarit with an adapter on the M8 and it works fine.
    You mean you use the M8 on the R15/2.8!