The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R 90/2.8 and 50/2 on 5DII

Hauxon

I'm able to buy these two Leica R lenses, 90mm f/2.8 3 Elmarit cam and 50mm f/2 Summicron 1 cam, and need some info on these lenses. There seems to be multiple versions of these lenses, can I figure out the age/version from the 1cam/3 cam? I plan to use the lenses with 5D Mark II any experience using these lenses on that camera? How about the mirror clearance, any problems there?

Thanks, Hrannar

Google it, and perhaps start here:Home . The answer is that versions are marked by serial number, and each version has differences, but not all of the differences are optical. For example, the difference from one version to another may be a hood design or ROM contacts. In general, cams make no difference if you are using it on a Canon, but sticking to a 3 cam or ROM lens is the safest. If the first digit of the serial number is a 3, you are probably in the right ballpark.

gogopix

Subscriber
Bill is right; the 3 cam is actually the safest for a canon adapter (I use on lots, a Kodak slrc, a Sigma with R mount, a pentax...I know, crazy!! :) but I like experimenting
I have both the 90 elmarit 3 can and the 50 summicron, but I think it may be a 2 or 3 cam
There are some issues with 1 cam lenses as the adapter expects 'holes' in certain places' and there may be conflicts.
my 90 2.8 is 2427xxx and the 50/2 is 2535xxx

I am actually selling both. If you can wait a day I can try them with canon adapters to chrck for you

regards
Victor

PS can anyone verify whether the 90 and 50 are 1, 2 or 3 cam?

Ok just checked and lenses are 70-72, pre 3 cam. So they are 2 cam, and just lack the 'autoexposure' cam for the R3 camera. Otherwise should be fine.
The 2 cam was backward compatible with older Leicaflex BUT the 1 cam may not be useable on later cameras like the R4 (that I have). It may just mean going mostly manual, but I can check for you.

Hauxon

Thanks for the replies. I just received the lenses and serials tell me the 50/2 Summicron-R (2157692) is from 1966 (version I) and the 90/2.8 Elmarit-R (3345066) is from 1984 (version II). Both lenses look pretty good, glass perfect and I got a semi-working Leicaflex camera as a lenscap with the lenses. The guy who sold me the lenses got the camera and 50/2 from his grandfather and bought the 90/2.8 while working as a commercial photographer in the 80's.

Now I'm just waiting for and Leica R -> EOS adapter. In the meanwhile I will have to look through the Leicaflex pentaprism.

Leica Summicron-R 50/2 front

Leica Summicron-R 50/2 back

Leica Elmarit-R 90/2.8 front

Leica Elmarit-R 90/2.8 back

Hrannar

Shac

I think you'll find the 90 is a really superb performer - I have one 'Leitaxed" for the Nikon D700 and another for my SL2 - it beats the "legendary" Nikkor 105 2.5 IMO by a good margin
Enjoy!