The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrom to cease?

wattsie

A dealer in Melbourne just informed me that he had been told that production of the Monochrom would cease from next March. I know there have been some earlier threads on whether the camera would have a limited production run. Has anyone else heard anything similar?

StephenPatterson

Cease production after less than one year? I seriously doubt that.

Unless there is some disruption in the supply chain (i.e. Leica can no longer get sensors) it would make no sense to cease production when demand is still there, and with the limited number of units in the field it's impossible to imagine that engineering costs have been recovered on this project.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
At introduction Leica said it would have a longer production run than the usual three years. Of course anybody can change his mind, but as Stephen said, why should they, especially as it appears to be selling far better than expected?:confused:

250swb

If Leica are in any way consistant they will drop the Monochrom, and introduce the Monochrom-P, or called some something similar. It could be black paint (or whatever) and everybody will want one because they always wanted black paint just as they did a chrome option. This is how Leica work, they start out giving you less than they could, improve it to what it should have been like in the first place, and then discontinue it.

Steve

V

Vivek

Wait! The current monochrome is less than what people want?:confused:

iiiNelson

If Leica are in any way consistant they will drop the Monochrom, and introduce the Monochrom-P, or called some something similar. It could be black paint (or whatever) and everybody will want one because they always wanted black paint just as they did a chrome option. This is how Leica work, they start out giving you less than they could, improve it to what it should have been like in the first place, and then discontinue it.

Steve
The externals of the Monochrom are already spec with the "upgrades" offered in the M9-P and M8.2 (sapphire lcd screen, unmarked top plate, etc.)

edwardkaraa

Why not? Leica produces cameras and lenses in batches. Probably they will produce enough MM cameras in the last batch to cover the market requirements for a couple of years. Nothing unusual about that.

wattsy

They'll need to manufacture some kind of M body. The M9, M9P and (reputedly) M-E are finished, the M 240 still seems a world away from serial production. Good job for Leica that the Monochrom is proving so popular.

StephenPatterson

Why not? Leica produces cameras and lenses in batches. Probably they will produce enough MM cameras in the last batch to cover the market requirements for a couple of years. Nothing unusual about that.
Oh I seriously doubt that. The inventory carrying costs and tax burden alone would have the bean counters turning white. I expect batch manufacturing at a level below demand, with as little component inventory as possible in house, to remain SOP, especially now that there are new investors looking over the financials.

Shashin

That would be a loss. I am not sure about Leica, but Japanese manufacturers would produce a run of about a projected six-month stock. It is better to run out faster than six month and start up another run, than to have stock sitting in a warehouse losing money. A product that sits for a year or more is really expensive. Generally you are talking about very expensive and exotic items like a 600mm f/4 lens retailing at $10,000+.

edwardkaraa

Stephen and Shashin, what you say makes sense and I won't argue with that. I just wonder what kind of MM quantities Leica expects to sell until the next model, and whether it would be feasible economically to produce these quantities in several small batches. I think there is always a balance between the cost of keeping stock and the cost saving by producing larger batches. I don't claim to know much about Leica strategy, but Zeiss for instance seems to prefer larger batches more spaced in time for its lenses, but cameras may require different strategies.

algrove

A dealer in Melbourne just informed me that he had been told that production of the Monochrom would cease from next March. I know there have been some earlier threads on whether the camera would have a limited production run. Has anyone else heard anything similar?
As others have said, sounds doubtful. Was he trying to get you to buy an MM?:toocool:

wattsie

Nope. I'd already committed by then. Picked it up today. He said again that it was what the guy in the Leica boutique had heard from Leica. Who knows. It's academic for me now!

fotografz

Steve
I'd consider Black Paint to be a down grade. I was thrilled that the MM came in Black Chrome with a sapphire LCD screen since I plan on keeping this camera for some time and I'm sick of babying black paint cameras ... which is why my M9 is now the Chrome M9P version with sapphire LCD, not black or grey paint.

-Marc

fotografz

Why would ceasing production of the MM surprise everyone? :eek:

Even though demand has been good, it is still a limited appeal camera and those interested in it, and have the money, are probably front loading that demand.

Leica are a small company, and they have a brand new camera coming that has a broader appeal even beyond traditional M users ... including higher ISO M performance that is part of the MM's appeal compared to the M9 ... a new offering for which I'm sure they are comparatively forecasting enormous sales. People are lining up for the new M like kids in sleeping bags at a rock concert ;)

The real driver for Leica is the M, and nothing can get in the way of it, and all the diverse do-dad accessories that will swell Leica's coffers with cash. I pre-orded mine and the new base and EVF the minute it was announced.

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think their new production facilities will be fully up and running by the launch date of the new M, so it seems something will have to give.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if they kept the MM in production either. Leica is Leica ... rumor ridden and inscrutable. :cool:

-Marc

PeterA

Apparently demand for the MM has far exceeded in house expectations - and production (which was due to end in 2012 ) has been extended till March (2013) at this stage when the resources will be switched to help cater for the expected demand on the new M.

V

Vivek

If it gets discontinued after a very short run, it is a big win for Leica and those who have bought the camera.

If there is enough demand they can always bring a better version with live view and all. Just imagine if the old Kodak CCD can do so well in high ISOs what the new CMOS can do.

That would be superb! :thumbs:

As Marc says above, we do know a new facility will come online to increase capacity, and we also know that Leica set up a production line for a run of products (not sure if we know what products can go in parallel). Clearly they've done a run of M-E's delivered since Photokina, so presumably it's time to get cracking on the M.

Anyhow, isn't this thread refreshing, I remember after getting my order in on May 10, sitting anticipating the camera arriving, reading the various forums of people claiming it was crazy, why do it, it'll be a financial disaster for Leica, etc. :)

Shashin

Anyhow, isn't this thread refreshing, I remember after getting my order in on May 10, sitting anticipating the camera arriving, reading the various forums of people claiming it was crazy, why do it, it'll be a financial disaster for Leica, etc. :)
What? People were wrong??? I am just not going to believe anyone anymore.

:ROTFL: