Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: To keep C Sonnar or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To keep C Sonnar or not?

Good decision, Edward. I need to get off my large gear backside and do the same. Some samples from my ZM Sonnar I meant to post earlier, fwiw:

Couple low light portraits, wide open:

20091120-24-copy-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20091120-18-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

Several shot at/near f/2.8:

20110822-059-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20110709-056-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20110709-059-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20100131004_edited-1-w by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

20120322-032-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike. Absolutely stunning shots, both WO and at 2.8.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

Good decision to sell this lens.

As Vivek mentioned, i also have tried the Jupiter 3 clone and no focus shift, so not sure what Zeiss did to change this lens design. This lens has a love hate relationship. Those who like it absolutely swear by it.

But if you really like the Sonnar look, there is a better lens. It's the Rollei sonnar 40mm f/2.8. Absolutely stunning lens with a signature that is not possible with any lens, with that sonnar bokeh and "pop" of infocus subjects. It is also extremely well suited for monochrome work. Everytime I show my photos to non-photogs, the ones made by this lens get picked up routinely. This lens was selling for 400-500$, very cheap to try if you want to. Really cheap when you consider that the chrome version is made of brass with excellent workmanship.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I just saw one of those go on the 'bay for about $1,200. . . I was surprised, hadn't heard anything about it before and that's a lot of dough for a 40/2.8.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sven, As I understand, the "C" Sonnar is missing one element of the original Bertele Sonnar design. How big a change this induces is real, despite the major developments in optical glass materials over the years.

I have an uncoated 4cm f/2 Sonnar from an old Contax. It needs to be mounted for Leica. With the MM in hand, I might get that done.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, thanks for the info. You may not know this but a few years back you raved about the kiev rangefinder and Jupiter lens. You posted a few shots, one was a boy running or jumping, dont remember exactly but that series was what lured me into the rangefinder sonnar design and I got both m mount and contax mount versions (along with kiev 4A)

My contax sonnar is one heck of a lens if there is a way to adapt it to M mount I would gladly pursue it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Sherman View Post
    Ah, I just saw one of those go on the 'bay for about $1,200. . . I was surprised, hadn't heard anything about it before and that's a lot of dough for a 40/2.8.
    Wow, that is a very expensive price for the lens, i am pretty sure it can be had lot cheaper. I saw new lenses (new old stock) sell for around 500 bucks here in getdpi not long ago. Maybe there is still one or two left...