Site Sponsors

Thread: Does your strap bug you?

Post Thanks / Like

Does your strap bug you?

Like bags .....some of us search in vain for the perfect strap for our M cameras. It seems you can have a strap that really works or one thats really nice or one that attaches easily.

The Upstrap ...your camera never slips off your shoulder..important if you carry 2 Ms . But industrial looking and nasty hardware just waiting to scratch your M.

Luigis leather straps...just beautiful .....but slips ?

The original camera strap..has a great way to attach safely to the camera lugs. Slips and is boring.

Larger cameras and lenses may benefit from wider straps but seem unnecessary for an M . And using a single camera you may enjoy a hand strap.

Got a better solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Does your strap bug you?

The Y-Strap: http://figitalrevolution.com/y-strap/

(Attached with a Leicagoodies Hook - http://www.leicagoodies.com/)

I usually wrap it around my wrist and use it as a hand strap, but it'll go over your shoulder if necessary. It's adjustable, and has a comfortable feel.
    Last edited by stephengilbert; 10th January 2009 at 16:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I second the y-strap. Although I bought the cheaper same-as (mostly) version from that other guy. It's total freedom. Left arm through and over the head and then it just lets the camera ride on your hip. It comes to your eye smooth as silk and goes back just as easily. Since I also use one of those leather wrist strap thingies on the other strap bracket, I can tuck that strap into the back pocket of my jeans and literally run without the camera banging against me. I'm a huge fan, especially with the M8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger, Al Tanabe fixed me up with an Upstrap which he modified to use the Leica connectors. It works great and there is no concern for scratching the M8.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

since it was sitting right here, i snapped this for clarification.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't want to sound like a geek (I'm trying to keep that a secret), but the thing I like about the "real" Y-Strap is that, unlike the Leicagoodies Strap, the Y-Strap is adjustable for length. If you find your camera bumping into your hip, your can shorten or lengthen the strap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good point Stephen. At the time I purchased the leicagoodies model I wasn't sure if I would like the concept. An investment of $20 seemed like a cheap way to find out. It's maybe only luck that mine fits me just right. Plus, at the time I bought mine, the Y-Strap was only available in red, which seemed less than stealthy to me. It now comes in black so is probably worth the extra $5. Regardless, the concept is a good one and worth trying if your conventional strap is bugging you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Roger, Al Tanabe fixed me up with an Upstrap which he modified to use the Leica connectors. It works great and there is no concern for scratching the M8.

Mark
    Mark

Thanks ....I remembered that and fixed one of my Upstraps to work with the Leica connectors from an old R strap. Still don t understand why he said you had to cut the old strap...I was able to slide my connector off. One of my friends was an electrician and he always had some thin black tubing that with a little heat from a hair dryer would shrink to cover the lug rings and any other strap hardware.

Since I always work with 2 M bodies ..I need to drop them from each shoulder ....I put my thumbs in the straps to keep the bodies in front when walking .

Since I also like the luigi cases ...I would prefer the leather straps ..the also fold up better and travel easier than the upstraps which are stiffer . Problem is the luigi straps slip off my shoulder. I am sure I could get luigi to make me a leather strap with a Leica R nibbed sholder pad ...better would be to find a way to glue a thin rubber pad to luigis leather pad.
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    since it was sitting right here, i snapped this for clarification.
    This looks like a nice solution .....two issues for me .

1. I always shoot with two bodies ..to avoid changing lenses so frequently .

2. I shoot probably 20% of my street images from below my waist. Since I can t get down on a knee like I used to ....I prefocus and then line up the shot from a low vantage point. I will also shoot from over my head in crowds .

It definitely looks like excellent solution to the swinging camera issue ...might make sense with one body and the other over the shoulder. Thanks for the picture.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like

I use a home-made version of the y-strap for my long lenses on a shoulder stock, make from 1" nylon webbing. On the strap I have half of a Fastex buckle that slides along the strap, and looped around the handle of the shoulder stock is a bit of webbing with the other half of the buckle. It cost about $2 to make.

Post Thanks / Like

There is the R strap also: http://www.blackrapid.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've tried lots of straps on my M8
    The only catastrophe was the Leica leather strap which had a stud which scratched the LCD

But, having gone around the houses, I've come to the conclusion that the boring old Leica rubber and webbing strap is really good - it doesn't slip off your shoulder, it's easy to wrap around your wrist if you're carrying the camera, it's very flexible, it weighs nothing, it's cheap . . . .

Funny really, I've bought half cases, hand grips, every kind of accessory for my M8, but nowadays my two bodies are 'nude' with the original strap, just like they were intended.

Cheap too!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono

No question the Leica strap is a decent all around solution. The sliding covered lug attachment still seems to be best in class. The rubber pad though is not as good as the Upstrap which will hold on Gortex. Then again the Luigi strap is just great to work with ...soft and flexible. I want a Luigi strap with the grip of the Upstrap and lug system of the Leica. Looks like another project.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have never had a problem with luigi straps, which I have been using for several years now...what kind of clothing do you find they slip on? They never seem to slip for me....
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

The allweather rain/ski jackets ...like those made by Patagonia /Marmot etc. This is a much bigger issue if you are using 2 cameras. When you are holding the shooting camera ..the 2nd body is just hanging...and you are moving your shoulders as you shoot. Even the Leica strap doesn t do .

The UpStrap is well regarded by many professionals (or at least endorsed). I have used 2 for over a year. But the Luigi strap is much nicer and since I use his cases ...well it looks and feels a lot better than industrial strength nylon.

The other issue with the Luigi strap is the old fashion circle fasteners . You can change out a Leica strap in a minute..with the Luigi you have to be careful not to scratch the lugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yeah, I guess different people have different issues -- I have not changed the strap on my m8 since I bought it...no reason to...and I do not often wear the type of jackets you are talking about...most of my winter coats are less outdoor adventure, more city overcoat type things. Generally, if I am shooting two cameras, I am using a bag, and the second camera sits in there. For heavier cameras, however, I find I really like the tamrac deluxe padded suede strap...it stays put, helps soften the load, and it quite comfortable, particularly after it breaks in. You can also just buy the clip attachments, so you can use one suede part for several cameras.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try wearing the Luigi strap (or any strap that can be long enough) across your body rather than on one shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just like bags or vests etc. It all depends on how you like to work with your cameras. I wear one camera on each shoulder and typically use a vest ...no bag . The vest will hold 2 alternative lenses and batteries ,cards etc. If its cold a jacket works...M lenses are pretty small. Both cameras are always ready to shoot.

I frequently take the body using the widest lens ..off the shoulder and wrap the strap around my wrist. This lets me shoot low , from my waist or high to get different angles. So the camera has to come off the body to arms length.

Surely Luigi has dealt with this ...so I will send him an email.

I do think the J/Y strap style is pretty neat for shooting sports. When you get to D3 size the way the camera sits on the hip (see the video) would be great .

marknorton

Like Jono, the Leica wide leather strap caused me problems. The hardware scratched my top plate but the real problem is that it's not flexible enough. Again, like Jono, I've come back to the standard strap, though I find it uncomfortable when the camera is wearing a heavy lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have one Leica strap and one Luigi on my M8's my luigi feels great and I like the soft leather feel. On other cameras I'm using the Y strap with the Leicagoodies hook. Allows me to also keep a handgrip on the camera and easily put on be take off the whole strap. I've been toting with using the Y strap onthe Leica and just got a second. Now waiting for my Leicegoodies delivery.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ..now I get it ...you use the Leica Goodies hook to release the camera for use with a handstrap....that solves the problem with low or high camera angles. Should have been obvious from the first picture of the Y strap.

Post Thanks / Like

Upstrap all the way. Screw "looking good" or matching vs having an $8k camera slip off your shoulder. Nice thing about the Upstrap is that it's the same on both sides of the pad unlike Leica's. I find it also keeps me from shrugging my shoulder, thereby cutting down on expensive health care costs later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Upstrap makes a smallish strap specially for Ms. It comes with two small rings to attach to the camera lugs then attaches as for all Upstraps.

I wouldn't be caught without an upstrap on any camera I own (O.K. I don't yet have one for the Hasselblad H3DII-39). They are the best dollars I have spent on camera accessories and at very low prices.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

people use straps in different ways though...the reason I like unpadded leather or cloth straps (for light cameras) is because I wrap the strap several times around my wrist and carry it at my side...you can't really do this comfortably with rubber/plastic straps like the leica strap or the upstrap. One thing is clear though, straps matter and people damn well have their preferences!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the smallish RF strap on my Nikon D3 as well. No, they don't wrap around the wrist quite as well as well as I would like it to (that's how I work too) but the insurance i get when it's on my shoulder is priceless.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a side by side with two M8s for week . One had the UpStrap(the small one for cameras of teh M size) and the other the luigi leather strap with the pad(deluxe model). The Upstrap works better in the most important area ...it stays on your shoulder . I mean it never moves .

The Luigi is just a joy like his cases and it does wrap easily..stores better.

So why can t I have a Luigi leather strap with at least a Leica pad. The old R straps have a lot of grip and don t slip .

But if I can t make it work well its back to the Upstrap .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Mark

Thanks ....I remembered that and fixed one of my Upstraps to work with the Leica connectors from an old R strap. Still don t understand why he said you had to cut the old strap...I was able to slide my connector off. One of my friends was an electrician and he always had some thin black tubing that with a little heat from a hair dryer would shrink to cover the lug rings and any other strap hardware.

Since I always work with 2 M bodies ..I need to drop them from each shoulder ....I put my thumbs in the straps to keep the bodies in front when walking .

Since I also like the luigi cases ...I would prefer the leather straps ..the also fold up better and travel easier than the upstraps which are stiffer . Problem is the luigi straps slip off my shoulder. I am sure I could get luigi to make me a leather strap with a Leica R nibbed sholder pad ...better would be to find a way to glue a thin rubber pad to luigis leather pad.
    Roger
    Roger,
    There were several designs of the Leica straps and the earlier ones had the ends fused so the plastic covers for the lugs would not come off. The plastic covers had a bar in the middle to keep it from coming off of the strap loop. I usually ask my Leica rep or local store for any old straps so that I can have the lugs for future use.

Al
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Post Thanks / Like

Al

Thanks that explains it. I still have several of the old R series version. The plastic covers are just a little big for the UPSTRAP (small version) but work fine . They fit the Luigi leather strap but are tight. Workable solutions.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I only take one camera and one lens and use a Luigi wrist strap so no issue for me

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I heard back form Luigi. He indicated that producing a strap with a rubber grip facing on his leather straps would cause him problems in exporting to the USA. Seems that he has to declare the materials used and "all leather " except hardware is what he is cleared for.

He doesn t think the strap needs it and said he has heard no complaints.

Billingham ,maker of fine camera bags, has just come out with a " new version" of their removable shoulder pads . They are leather,lightly padded and have a flexible rubber facing. Might try one of those on his old strap without the pad .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I've tried lots of straps on my M8
    The only catastrophe was the Leica leather strap which had a stud which scratched the LCD
    You need to upgrade your LCD to the sapphire one . As an aside, I'm still wondering how in the world this can be considered an upgrade when even P&S cameras have 3" LCD screens!