Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 43 of 43

Thread: New to Leica need advise

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    New to Leica need advise

    Hi, I just pulled the trigger on a Leica M 240. I've done some shooting with my RD-1 (which is for sale BTW ), so I have some experience with RF cameras. My question is regarding what lens to get next. I own 3 CV lenses, 40mmf1.4, 35mmf2.5 and 25mmf4. I also have an old Industar 5cmf3.5 but I hear that without a Leica (or at least a Zeiss) lens, I'm wasting the camera....

    What would be a most useful lens to purchase? I'm not flush with cash after buying the body, so economy is a factor. Also, I want a lens that will allow me to take good usable shots indoors with fairly low light as well as all around street photography, etc.

    Here are some samples of the photos I'd like to shoot successfully. These were taken with EM-5 and 35-100mm f2.8 ISO 3200..




    Your input would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to waste money and time experimenting. I've done enough of that with my M43 system . Now we are talking real money....

  2. #2
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    You have a discerning eye and will appreciate the subtle rendering of the Leica lenses....

    The Summarit series has been well received ... 35 or 50 2.5s image very beautifully....

    If you can part with your lenses...trade for one to start you may find the entry cost is not that onerous...

    Here:

    Used 35mm Leica M Photo Equipment & Cameras - Camera West - Walnut Creek & Rancho Mirage, CA

    Great place and they have had all of my business for years.

    My first M6 purchase was in 1976 ... I have left a number of times but for personal satisfaction and image quality have always returned.

    You mention real money...I believe that many have spent far more and come away less satisfied by moving systems on a continual basis.

    This site has some great images from the Leica M system...

    THORSTEN OVERGAARD official homepage since 1996 - Danish feature writer and photographer - Portrætfotograf i Aarhus Thorsten Overgaard

    Regards,

    Bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by silver92b View Post
    Hi, I just pulled the trigger on a Leica M 240. I've done some shooting with my RD-1 (which is for sale BTW ), so I have some experience with RF cameras. My question is regarding what lens to get next. I own 3 CV lenses, 40mmf1.4, 35mmf2.5 and 25mmf4. I also have an old Industar 5cmf3.5 but I hear that without a Leica (or at least a Zeiss) lens, I'm wasting the camera....
    Nice photos, regardless of what took them.

    Regards the bolded bit above, eh? who cares what other people say? Go with what works for you and to heck with silly notions like that. You already have a fine 35/2.5 ... not to mention the excellent 40/1.4 ... and the 25/4 is no piker either. I've spent most of the time since I purchased the M9 in Jan 2012 with Nokton 50, Color Skopar 35, and M-Rokkor 90 lenses. I certainly don't feel like I've been wasting the camera. I did just buy an older Summilux 35 but only after much thinking and debate over what I really wanted before spending the money.

    If I were you, I'd give it time-time to learn the camera, learn your current lenses on it, etc—and buy when you feel comfortable spending for what you really want after a suitable period of study.

    As to what to add to your kit, for me a Leica M is not complete without a nice 50 mm lens. I've been extremely happy with the Nokton 50, it's been on the camera the most of all the lenses I have since I bought it. From what I've seen it compares very well to a Leica Summilux 50 of a couple of generations back—which is fine by me, I tend to prefer the rendering of slightly older than current series lenses. The Nokton 50 is less expensive than even a used Summilux or most Summicrons. I've also seen work done with the new Summarits that is outstanding.

    Beyond that, what I said before: use what you have and give yourself time to get comfortable with the M. Learn what you really want. Buy infrequently and sparingly, use whatever you have to the fullest: that's how to save money and get the most out of the camera.

    G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 16th December 2014 at 03:58.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member sjg284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    You likely want to purchase lenses in order of your shooting preference.
    Also take into account crop factor.

    Of the lenses you list, the 35/2.5 VC is likely the best performer, so you don't need a new 35mm.
    50mm lenses are plentiful and reasonably priced, so you may want to pick one up first.
    The Zeiss 50/2 is reasonably priced.
    The Voigtlander 50/1.5 is very sharp as well, but you may appreciate your first Zeiss more .. they are just great glass.
    Stay away from the 50/1.5 Zeiss if you are after sharpness, it's a "character lens" and while great, is not a good first buy.
    blog
    steve
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    I'd say shoot with what you have until you feel a pressing want or need for something different.

    I really like your photos.

    John
    web site | tumblr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Thank you all for the kind words. It seems that I might ought to ignore certain Leica gurus ... Thanks for the advise about the Zeiss 50 f 1.5, actually I was about to try one out to buy it for the speed factor... I could probably do fine with a f2. I'm sure that all my A/F problems in low light will disappear when A/F disappears as well LOL!

    I can't wait to try the camera. I am a little afraid that I might have the same difficulty focusing in low light as I have with the RD-1.. I have a heck of a time with it, especially trying to shoot dancers, musicians and people in darkly lit clubs, etc. I'm also thinking that I will need to get long lens of some sort....

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by silver92b View Post
    ... It seems that I might ought to ignore certain Leica gurus
    ...
    I can't wait to try the camera. I am a little afraid that I might have the same difficulty focusing in low light as I have with the RD-1.. I have a heck of a time with it, especially trying to shoot dancers, musicians and people in darkly lit clubs, etc. I'm also thinking that I will need to get long lens of some sort...
    Indeed. Some of the self-proclaimed gurus are enough to make me barf. There's certainly a lot of joy in having new Leica lenses, but there are very few lenses in M-mount today which aren't already in the top 5% to 10% of lens performance anyway. With so many excellent choices out there, from a technical performance standpoint, what matters more is what you want and the differences in rendering character. Few are "bad" in any sense; some will please your eye more than others, that's all.

    For use with fast 50mm lenses, I bought a 1.25x eyepiece magnifier. The M9 and M typ 240 series cameras have a .68x viewfinder magnification, which I find makes 35mm frame lines more visible but leaves the focusing patch a bit small (compared to my M4-2's .72x finder). The eyepiece magnifier enlarges the 50/75/90/135 framelines nicely; it makes focusing and framing surer. For 35 and shorter it seems inconsequential, but for 50 mm and up it helps, at least for my eyes. I bought an aftermarket one, not the Leica, and it does the job nicely.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Indeed. Some of the self-proclaimed gurus are enough to make me barf. There's certainly a lot of joy in having new Leica lenses, but there are very few lenses in M-mount today which aren't already in the top 5% to 10% of lens performance anyway. With so many excellent choices out there, from a technical performance standpoint, what matters more is what you want and the differences in rendering character. Few are "bad" in any sense; some will please your eye more than others, that's all.

    For use with fast 50mm lenses, I bought a 1.25x eyepiece magnifier. The M9 and M typ 240 series cameras have a .68x viewfinder magnification, which I find makes 35mm frame lines more visible but leaves the focusing patch a bit small (compared to my M4-2's .72x finder). The eyepiece magnifier enlarges the 50/75/90/135 framelines nicely; it makes focusing and framing surer. For 35 and shorter it seems inconsequential, but for 50 mm and up it helps, at least for my eyes. I bought an aftermarket one, not the Leica, and it does the job nicely.

    G
    I had not considered anything like a magnifier.. Good idea! I actually purchased a hood loupe for my DP2-M which is very difficult to use in bright sunlight. Where can I find such an item?

    Also, I did just order from Amazon a couple of adapters to use my OM lenses and Canon FD lenses with the camera. The 100mm f2.0 FD and the OM 24mm f2.8 might be fun to play with

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hosermage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    If I can only have 1 Leica lens, I'd keep my 50'Lux.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by silver92b View Post
    I had not considered anything like a magnifier.. Good idea! I actually purchased a hood loupe for my DP2-M which is very difficult to use in bright sunlight. Where can I find such an item? ...
    This is the one I bought. The quality is quite good, although likely not quite Leica quality.

    1 25x Magnifier for Leica Camera Accessory Me M9 P M8 2 M7 MP M6 TTL M4 M3 Black | eBay

    The M with its Live View capability opens up the use of many SLR lenses using adapters. Aside from Leica's own adapter for R lenses, Rayqual, Voigtländer, and Novoflex make good quality adapters. You'll likely also want the EVF if you get involved with using them a lot.

    G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 16th December 2014 at 03:55.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    No CA
    Posts
    795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    My suggestion is to shoot with the lenses you have now, until you get used to Full Frame. Then you'll know if there's a focal length that you'd like to improve upon.

    Kirk
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    I agree with everybody else, the lenses you already have are fine, the 35mm Skopar being one of my favourites on a Leica.

    The big hurdle will be managing expectations as I don't see a problem with your M43 pictures and spending an awful lot more isn't a guarantee of making the images an awful lot better in difficult situations. With M43 you have image stabilisation, auto focus, zoom lenses, and at least as good/bad (whichever way you see it) ISO performance. So it could be a challenge to get up to speed quickly. But be patient and think about other lenses when you see what you are missing.

    Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    This is the one I bought. The quality is quite good, although likely not quite Leica quality.

    1 25x Magnifier for Leica Camera Accessory Me M9 P M8 2 M7 MP M6 TTL M4 M3 Black | eBay

    The M with its Live View capability opens up the use of many SLR lenses using adapters. Aside from Leica's own adapter for R lenses, Rayqual, Voigtländer, and Novoflex make good quality adapters. You'll likely also want the EVF if you get involved with using them a lot.

    G
    As luck would have it, the camera includes the EVF... I suspect I will play a good bit with adapted lenses, particularly since I'll be shooting much shorter FLs than I've gotten used to with M43....

    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    I agree with everybody else, the lenses you already have are fine, the 35mm Skopar being one of my favourites on a Leica.

    The big hurdle will be managing expectations as I don't see a problem with your M43 pictures and spending an awful lot more isn't a guarantee of making the images an awful lot better in difficult situations. With M43 you have image stabilisation, auto focus, zoom lenses, and at least as good/bad (whichever way you see it) ISO performance. So it could be a challenge to get up to speed quickly. But be patient and think about other lenses when you see what you are missing.

    Steve
    Excellent observation. I have hope that I will be able to manage the lack of IBIS and the "real" 35mm FL of my lenses. I do like the feel of shooting with the RF camera and I love those creamy portraits and awesome color rendition I see in so many Leica sample shots allegedly presented without PP .
    Of course, honestly I just look forward to using FF *and* doing it with the best Leica camera to date. Thank you for your input, it's appreciated.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    I also have a technical question. I understand that some modifications are required to the Voigtlander 40mmf1.4 so it brings out the correct frame lines in the VF. I imagine that some if not all my other CV lenses will need it too.
    Can someone explain the details of this to me?

    On another theme, I've been looking at 50mm lenses a lot over the last 2 days (more than I already have for adapting to the M43). Anyway, it seems that the 50mm Cron is a wonderful lens and I actually like the images I've seen compared side by side with the Lux. Is there something I'm overlooking or missing? (except of course the larger aperture).

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by silver92b View Post
    I also have a technical question. I understand that some modifications are required to the Voigtlander 40mmf1.4 so it brings out the correct frame lines in the VF. I imagine that some if not all my other CV lenses will need it too.
    Can someone explain the details of this to me?
    - Only the 40mm lens needs any modification, and whether it "needs" it or not is a judgement call.

    - The M frame lines are selected by an actuating cam on one the leading edge of one of the bayonet lens flanges. They are displayed in pairs: 35-135, 50-75, and 28-90. The standard cam on the Leica Summicron-C 40, M-Rokkor 40, and Nokton 40 lenses brings up the 50mm frame lines. (The Leica CL and Minolta CLE had a specific set of frame lines for the 40mm focal length, selected by this same cam shape, which is why this works this way.)

    Many people prefer to use the 35mm frame lines for the 40mm focal length ... they're a little closer to the actual Field of View. The difference is that with the 50mm frame lines, you shoot framing tightly and get a bit more than what was inside the frame lines in the exposure. With the 35mm frame lines, you frame loosely and get a bit less than what was inside the frame lines in the exposure.

    Earlier series Ms had the manual frame line selector lever so you could flip back and forth between 50 and 35 mm frame lines to judge the difference without changing anything on the lens. The M typ 240 has lost the manual frame line selector, so you can either keep the lens stock and work with the 50mm frame lines or you can file down the cam on the flange by 1mm or so and work with the 35mm frame lines.

    Personally, I'd leave the lens stock and learn to use the 50mm frame lines with it. It's easier to frame tightly and get a little extra, in my opinion, then to judge carefully enough framing loosely and get a little less. With the M typ 240 you have an added benefit: if you really need critical framing accuracy, just switch to Live View and then you'll see exactly what the lens is seeing.

    Best advice: Leave well enough alone and learn to see what the lens sees regardless of the frame lines.
    Option to that: Voigtländer sells a 40mm clip-on optical viewfinder if you want to be more precise with an optical viewfinder (but again, why bother when you have Live View available?).

    Quote Originally Posted by silver92b View Post
    On another theme, I've been looking at 50mm lenses a lot over the last 2 days (more than I already have for adapting to the M43). Anyway, it seems that the 50mm Cron is a wonderful lens and I actually like the images I've seen compared side by side with the Lux. Is there something I'm overlooking or missing? (except of course the larger aperture).
    No, nothing. The Summicron-M 50mm f/2 is one of The Legendary Leica Lenses. In the days of film and sensitivity capped to ISO 400 or 800, the Summilux gave a much needed one stop increase in sensitivity for low light work, but with digital sensitivity now running to ISO 3200 and 6400 with excellent results, an f/2 lens is really fast enough for almost anything.

    G

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    I also would start with the lenses you have now.
    My personal favorites are 35 and 50 Summicrons. The Summarits are very good as well and so are the Summiluxes - personally I feel (for some reason) the Summicrons work very well on the "new" M and I like the color I get with them.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Senior Member segedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    I picked up a CV 35mm f/2.5 this weekend and really love the size, but it has quite a bit of a magenta color cast on the right side. I won't be using it in the M 240. Curious if others have found the same.

    Use the 40mm and skip the 50mm for now. The 40 is a great lens. Character and low light capable. Instead grab a 75mm. Love that focal length.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    I picked up a CV 35mm f/2.5 this weekend and really love the size, but it has quite a bit of a magenta color cast on the right side. I won't be using it in the M 240. Curious if others have found the same.
    Perhaps try another code? The closest in max aperture and focal length isn't always the best, so try a 28mm code that would probably correct more for the magenta cast.

    Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    I picked up a CV 35mm f/2.5 this weekend and really love the size, but it has quite a bit of a magenta color cast on the right side. I won't be using it in the M 240. Curious if others have found the same.
    I use code 11310-11 on the M9 and get no magenta cast. This has been one of my most used lenses on the M9.

    The lens code used can be critical... I discovered that the 'Lux 35 v2 does best with no code selected, for instance.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    It arrived today!



    Somebody please buy yourself a gift and give the RD-1 a home


  21. #21
    Senior Member segedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Enjoy the new gear. I have the chrome version as well with a silver Olympus VF-2. Such a great combo. Great suggestions with choosing a different code. I tried the 35mm f/2 lens as suggested but still had about the same amount of red on the right side. I coded as a 28/2.8 11804 and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

    So, I guess the CV 35mm f/2.5 isn't a write-off on the M 240 afterall. So far I've used adapted Pentax 135mm and a Sigma (Nikon mount) 150mm Macro and had nice results, but the native lenses are where it really shines.

    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Perhaps try another code? The closest in max aperture and focal length isn't always the best, so try a 28mm code that would probably correct more for the magenta cast.

    Steve
    Segedi.com

    flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    The camera looks very nice, enjoy it!

    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    Enjoy the new gear. I have the chrome version as well with a silver Olympus VF-2. Such a great combo. Great suggestions with choosing a different code. I tried the 35mm f/2 lens as suggested but still had about the same amount of red on the right side. I coded as a 28/2.8 11804 and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

    So, I guess the CV 35mm f/2.5 isn't a write-off on the M 240 afterall. So far I've used adapted Pentax 135mm and a Sigma (Nikon mount) 150mm Macro and had nice results, but the native lenses are where it really shines.
    Longer lenses need little correction in my experience; it's the wides that always need tweaking. What I found is that if you try codes for shorter focal length lenses with similar optical design that usually solves the problem best.

    onwards,
    G

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    The Canon FD 100mmf2.8 can give good results...

    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The camera looks very nice, enjoy it!



    Longer lenses need little correction in my experience; it's the wides that always need tweaking. What I found is that if you try codes for shorter focal length lenses with similar optical design that usually solves the problem best.

    onwards,
    G
    I went out with the CV35f2.5 today and as suggested I used the 28/2.8 11804 code, but I still got a magenta fringe along the vertical right edge
    It's not a problem for B&W, but for color, I'd have to crop the offending area...

    On the positive side, the lens is very easy to use and gives good results! Of course, now I'm all excited and can't wait to try the Planar 50f2 that just came in


  25. #25
    Senior Member segedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    I've created a new thread with some results from my testing:
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/leica/52...ing-tests.html
    Segedi.com

    flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Since my first asking, I've made some changes to the lens collection. I sold the CV 35 f2.5 as well as the CV40 f1.4, I also posted the CV25f4 on Ebay but did not sell it... I got in too much of a hurry and purchased a Zeiss Planar 50f2 ZM and a ZM 35f2.8 Biogon... Nothing wrong with the ZM50 Planar, but shortly afterwards I saw a silver Summilux ASPH for what I thought a good price and bought it
    I also picked up a Tele Elmar 135 for a decent price... So now my collection looks like this, plus the Tele which is not shown or the ZM 50 which I need to sell.



    I will say that the Lux is a brilliant lens! It really makes a difference and shows just how limited my EM-1 with the 12-40 f2.8 really is in comparison... Now I just need to sell the Zeiss 50 and a handful of legacy lenses and I should be ok for a while
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    EDITED: Just seen your reply. 50lux-asph <--- RIGHT CHOICE.

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    That's a nice lens kit. :-)

    Yes, any zoom takes a back seat to lenses like these. The Oly M.Zuiko 12-40 is an excellent lens, but it can't match a Leica Summilux on a sensor with 4x the area. The Panasonic-Leica Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH on the E-M1 is closer, then you have a fighting chance. But the dynamics of the sensor and format are still quite different.

    If this were not true, I wouldn't have both the M9 and the E-M1... and all the other cameras and lenses besides! =8^0

    G

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    That's a nice lens kit. :-)

    Yes, any zoom takes a back seat to lenses like these. The Oly M.Zuiko 12-40 is an excellent lens, but it can't match a Leica Summilux on a sensor with 4x the area. The Panasonic-Leica Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH on the E-M1 is closer, then you have a fighting chance. But the dynamics of the sensor and format are still quite different.

    If this were not true, I wouldn't have both the M9 and the E-M1... and all the other cameras and lenses besides! =8^0

    G
    You are right of course, no one camera and /or lens is right for everything (ergonomics included). I still have the EM-1 and I love it. I had the PL25f1.4 and it is a great lens. I still have the Oly 17f1.8 as well as the 12-40f2.8 and the PL 35-100f2.8.
    Great lenses and the M43 is a good system, but the M240 with the Lux is something else entirely. There are times when the EM-1 with a good native lens will really shine and beat the M+Lux, but it's becoming a rare occasion...

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    PL 35-100mm f/2.8? I think that's a Panasonic X series lens, not a "Panasonic-Leica" model.

    What the E-M1 (and my latest little darling, the E-PL7) have going for them is speed, versatility, and features that are sometimes very useful. For me, working with the M9 and M typ 240 is more akin to working with the bottom tier of technical cameras: a different pace, a different domain of capabilities. The M240 is more versatile than the M9 due to the added responsiveness and Live View capability.

    I like and use 'em all, as much as I have time for.

    In the end, expressive photos, pictures which tell stories ... these are the goal. There are many ways to that goal. Sometimes, the Leica X is exactly what I want, no more and no less. Other times ... well, the camera cabinet is over-full.

    G

  31. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    PL 35-100mm f/2.8? I think that's a Panasonic X series lens, not a "Panasonic-Leica" model.

    What the E-M1 (and my latest little darling, the E-PL7) have going for them is speed, versatility, and features that are sometimes very useful. For me, working with the M9 and M typ 240 is more akin to working with the bottom tier of technical cameras: a different pace, a different domain of capabilities. The M240 is more versatile than the M9 due to the added responsiveness and Live View capability.

    I like and use 'em all, as much as I have time for.

    In the end, expressive photos, pictures which tell stories ... these are the goal. There are many ways to that goal. Sometimes, the Leica X is exactly what I want, no more and no less. Other times ... well, the camera cabinet is over-full.

    G
    Right again , the 35-100 is the Panasonic X series... Anyway, I just did a shoot for a friend. She is a model and knows how to pose, etc. We chose natural light in a great space and all. The M/F of the Leica kind of slowed me down (I thought) and I missed the focus more than once.

    I then took the EM-1 with the 12-40 f2.8 and shot away in A/F, burst mode... Amazingly enough, I actually hit the focus closer and more often with the M240/Lux, and the DOF was no contest. Likewise, the IQ was just more spot on than the EM-1.... Strange, but it seems that the more I shoot with the Leica, the better I get and the more "keepers" I shoot (as long as I remember to check all my settings before shooting...)

  32. #32
    Senior Member sjg284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Well chosen!
    The 50lux ASPH is just a super super lens, fantastic stuff.

    And it really sings on the M240!

    Quote Originally Posted by silver92b View Post
    Since my first asking, I've made some changes to the lens collection. I sold the CV 35 f2.5 as well as the CV40 f1.4, I also posted the CV25f4 on Ebay but did not sell it... I got in too much of a hurry and purchased a Zeiss Planar 50f2 ZM and a ZM 35f2.8 Biogon... Nothing wrong with the ZM50 Planar, but shortly afterwards I saw a silver Summilux ASPH for what I thought a good price and bought it
    I also picked up a Tele Elmar 135 for a decent price... So now my collection looks like this, plus the Tele which is not shown or the ZM 50 which I need to sell.



    I will say that the Lux is a brilliant lens! It really makes a difference and shows just how limited my EM-1 with the 12-40 f2.8 really is in comparison... Now I just need to sell the Zeiss 50 and a handful of legacy lenses and I should be ok for a while
    blog
    steve

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by silver92b View Post
    Right again , the 35-100 is the Panasonic X series... Anyway, I just did a shoot for a friend. She is a model and knows how to pose, etc. We chose natural light in a great space and all. The M/F of the Leica kind of slowed me down (I thought) and I missed the focus more than once.

    I then took the EM-1 with the 12-40 f2.8 and shot away in A/F, burst mode... Amazingly enough, I actually hit the focus closer and more often with the M240/Lux, and the DOF was no contest. Likewise, the IQ was just more spot on than the EM-1.... Strange, but it seems that the more I shoot with the Leica, the better I get and the more "keepers" I shoot (as long as I remember to check all my settings before shooting...)
    The deciding factor is taking the time to think, to set up the camera and the shots, regardless of what camera you're using. Since the Leica forces a slower pace, you tend to operate more deliberately with it. That nets better results on average than doing burst mode and relying solely on AF to get the job done. At least for me it does...

    G

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The deciding factor is taking the time to think, to set up the camera and the shots, regardless of what camera you're using. Since the Leica forces a slower pace, you tend to operate more deliberately with it. That nets better results on average than doing burst mode and relying solely on AF to get the job done. At least for me it does...

    G
    Absolutely! The only problem with that is that it's not easy to do when you suffer from ADD and can't keep your attention fixed on the steps. Still, once I manage to setup the camera properly, I have a pretty good record of getting good, well composed images. The focusing is still a bit of a challenge. Especially nailing the focus on the eyes of the subject to get the best portrait.

    It's interesting to find that after working with this camera, I am actually re-learning crucial aspects (pardon the pun) of photography. I had forgotten much after shooting with such automated cameras and lenses as the EM-5 and EM-1 with the native lenses...

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by silver92b View Post
    ...
    It's interesting to find that after working with this camera, I am actually re-learning crucial aspects (pardon the pun) of photography. I had forgotten much after shooting with such automated cameras and lenses as the EM-5 and EM-1 with the native lenses...
    That's all good! :-)

    The tendency to become forgetful of the basics with the quality and level of sophistication that most modern cameras offer is one reason why I've made a practice of shooting with simple, slow, manual cameras at least part of the time ever since I obtained modern equipment. Is why I keep going back to manual focus, why I set exposure myself.

    I love having the automation features available when they matter, but using them intelligently means understanding what they are doing for me which I have to stay refreshed on my staying "in practice" on simple manual techniques.

    But we're digressing into "Philosophy of Photography 101" now ... :-)

    G

  36. #36
    Senior Member Hosermage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    I just saw the Craig Semetko Video that Steve Huff posted on his site today. I like the quote he said:

    For me, the Leica M is the path of least resistance between what I see on the street and a final print in my hand.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

  37. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    I just saw the Craig Semetko Video that Steve Huff posted on his site today. I like the quote he said:
    I went to the website and looked up the quote. Thanks for the info. I've been reading a lot of material by various photographers and the ones who use Leica cameras are very happy with them. There are those of course who disdain the Leica and prefer their particular camera.

    I have learned that there is no "perfect" camera and really, the old saw "to each his own" applies to cameras as well as to anything else. I will say that I am liking the Leica M240 and the Leica lenses quite a bit. As I get better at paying attention to the camera settings and the composition, as well as my focusing skills, I am sure that this is the best option for me at this time.

    BTW, I pick up the R-D1 from time to time and if it had a few more of the features of the M240, it would probably be my favorite camera. It's so much fun to use and so easy to handle.... Too bad it's not FF and lacks the features I've gotten used to having....

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by silver92b View Post
    I went to the website and looked up the quote. Thanks for the info. I've been reading a lot of material by various photographers and the ones who use Leica cameras are very happy with them. There are those of course who disdain the Leica and prefer their particular camera.

    I have learned that there is no "perfect" camera and really, the old saw "to each his own" applies to cameras as well as to anything else. I will say that I am liking the Leica M240 and the Leica lenses quite a bit. As I get better at paying attention to the camera settings and the composition, as well as my focusing skills, I am sure that this is the best option for me at this time.

    BTW, I pick up the R-D1 from time to time and if it had a few more of the features of the M240, it would probably be my favorite camera. It's so much fun to use and so easy to handle.... Too bad it's not FF and lacks the features I've gotten used to having....
    Yes RD1 was beautiful, and you could "close" the display, on the other side limited with frames and crop.
    Who knows if Leica would have ever made a digital M if Epson had not shown that it is possible.

  39. #39
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Yes RD1 was beautiful, and you could "close" the display, on the other side limited with frames and crop.
    Who knows if Leica would have ever made a digital M if Epson had not shown that it is possible.
    Sorry, but when I tried to be friendly with an R-D1 it did absolutely nothing for me at all. Felt crude and clumsy to use, and the image files didn't look as good as what I was getting out of a Pentax *ist DS with essentially the same sensor. I sent it back.

    The Leica M8 was predated in release by the Epson R-D1 by only seven months or so, which meant that the Leica M8 product development had likely been ongoing from about the same time, or even before as Leica products are traditionally so long in development. The M8 was instantly a far more sophisticated product at release time. So I think it's completely incorrect to say "Leica would never have made a digital M if Epson hadn't shown it was possible."

    I'm certain that Leica was working on a digital, M-mount compatible rangefinder as soon as they thought there was a feasible sensor to be had for it, and to the limit that their development resources and finances could sustain at the time.

    G

  40. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Sorry, but when I tried to be friendly with an R-D1 it did absolutely nothing for me at all. Felt crude and clumsy to use, and the image files didn't look as good as what I was getting out of a Pentax *ist DS with essentially the same sensor. I sent it back.

    The Leica M8 was predated in release by the Epson R-D1 by only seven months or so, ...
    Oh, no doubt the R-D1 feels crude when compared to more technically modern cameras. It definitely has shortcomings. But in real life, right now, when I pick it up and look through the viewfinder, I love the way the focusing screen works and how big and clear the viewfinder is. Naturally, in dim light it's a totally different experience, but hey, it's beautiful sunny day outside today.

    To me the images are pretty darned good for a 6mp camera. The B&W are definitely well developed and rendered OOC. As for the M8, although it's a more advanced and technically superior camera, it is not as pleasant to use as the R-D1 according to people I spoke with who had both... I never have used an M8 or M9, so I cannot opine from first hand experience.

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Sorry, but when I tried to be friendly with an R-D1 it did absolutely nothing for me at all. Felt crude and clumsy to use, and the image files didn't look as good as what I was getting out of a Pentax *ist DS with essentially the same sensor. I sent it back.

    The Leica M8 was predated in release by the Epson R-D1 by only seven months or so, which meant that the Leica M8 product development had likely been ongoing from about the same time, or even before as Leica products are traditionally so long in development. The M8 was instantly a far more sophisticated product at release time. So I think it's completely incorrect to say "Leica would never have made a digital M if Epson hadn't shown it was possible."

    I'm certain that Leica was working on a digital, M-mount compatible rangefinder as soon as they thought there was a feasible sensor to be had for it, and to the limit that their development resources and finances could sustain at the time.

    G
    Before the RD1 had been released Leica said several times it would not be possible to build a digital rangefinder because the lens was too close to the sensor.
    And after the release of the M8 and delivery-how long did it take?
    For me Epson was the first who was brave enough to deliver a digital rangefinder. I then switched to the M8 because it was the better camera, but I did like the build and feel and analaog instruments of the RD1 including the sutter sound .

  42. #42
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Before the RD1 had been released Leica said several times it would not be possible to build a digital rangefinder because the lens was too close to the sensor.
    And after the release of the M8 and delivery-how long did it take?
    ...
    Yes I know. I sold all my M equipment in 2002 because it was unclear at that time whether it was possible to build a digital version of my M6TTL and Leica's finances were on shaky ground at the time, never mind their statement of whether it was even possible. I needed to have a digital future story at the time, and if the lenses weren't going to be useful there was no point in keeping them. I have no regrets, but I sure wish I still had the lenses I sold then as I'd refined my lens kit over the previous decade or two. Most of those lenses are now four to five times as expensive and not easy to find in the same condition.. Ah well.

    But the seven months between the release of the Epson R-D1 and the M8 is nowhere near enough time for *any* company to design, prototype, test, build manufacturing production line, and release the M8.

    My estimate is that Leica worked on the M8 for four to five years, regardless of what was said. Maybe the R-D1 introduction did influence it—cause the delivery date to be pulled in—and maybe that was the cause for so many of the M8 issues with the first released units.

    G

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New to Leica need advise

    Months before the RD1 was released (I still had my M6 besides Nikon 650) I bought a mint Noctilux for 900 Euro

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •