The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S006 -> s007

dfarkas

Workshop Member
If anyone is interested in seeing some photos from the S007, here is a link to my Transylvania gallery (week-long road trip in early September with friends, in a Land Rover).

https://openeyesphoto.smugmug.com/TRANSYLVANIA-2015/

You can click on the "i" icon to see the metadata. The images are post-processed, of course.
Great images! The interior of the salt mine is brilliant.

I see that you favor my preferred two lens setup: 45 and 120. Always a good choice. :thumbup:

rsmphoto

Apologies for the non sequitur,since I can't respond specifically to this, and strictly speaking about my own needs, my decision has been instead of going from my much loved 006 to 007, I'm biding my time, adding the SL and zoom to the 006 system I currently use. It gives me a versatile camera to do available light lifestyle, with a bit more walk around capability (a good back up to the S as well), allows an expanded lens selection (read M and R lenses), and will eventually take my S lenses. The way I see it I get the best of both worlds, granted with a few less mp. Meantime I might wait for an 008. In my case, the SL may have competed with a 007 sale, but it evens out in the end for Leica, I guess. Plus I'm more likely to pick up the new SL lens when it arrives than another S lens.

Cheers,

Richard

M

mjr

Morning!

I've been using the 007 a lot Tom, almost all commercial work until now but grabbing a last minute flight to Iceland tomorrow as I need a break! I'm taking both cameras with me and will just be doing some personal work, can't wait!

The 007 has paid for itself already but had the S adapter for the SL been available at launch I may have gone the same way as Richard, it would certainly have been a tougher decision. As it is I think the 007 does everything the 006 does but faster and at higher ISO's but whether that is worth the cost of upgrade is a very personal thing. I think 006 used prices are crap so that makes it easier to keep mine as a backup, it has paid for itself many times over though so can't complain!

I alway read about peoples lists of wants from cameras and the additions to the 007 are welcome but I don't shoot it any differently to the 006, I used to use live view all the time with the Nikons and missed it when I went to S but now I have it I never use it on the 007, for my work it's just not necessary with the viewfinder being so good. The video has been useful and I have managed a couple of really nice interview shoots with it so there's a big benefit, the SL could have done that for sure. I absolutely love the DoF scale, as a confirmed hyperfocal focuser, I love it, so easy to get sharp shots when looking for everything in focus, should be even easier when the new firmware is released. Other than that, the whole camera is just much more responsive but I find start up time isn't much improved which is something that could definitely get better. The 007 hasn't lost any of that beautiful simplicity the 006 has, you can just shoot with it!

A couple of weeks in Iceland without thinking about work is something I'm really looking forward to, will give me a much better view on how the camera suits personal work, I'm done with buying kit for a while though, would rather spend the money on going to beautiful places instead now!

Good luck with your decision.

Mat

Paratom

Thank you Mat. And after all that experience. Do you feel at lower iso any Magic is lost with the 007 in regards of color with the new sensor? I know the questions repeat.
In one way low prices would indicate tonrather keep the S006 when buying an S007. But then as an amateur I wont carry 2 cameras and I dont need a backup S body, if my S really fails Ican just use the M or T for the repair time. For the price of a used S006 one could allready buy a SL .... :salute:

it is just that my S images seem to really shine and stand out from other cameras images in regards of tones, color and transition/bokeh.

baudolino

Do you feel at lower iso any Magic is lost with the 007 in regards of color with the new sensor? I know the questions repeat.
In my experience (comparing 007 with S2, not 006): Overall, I don't think any magic has been lost, even though the response is not exactly the same. So, for instance, the S2 images can have more "bite" and "dimensionality" out of camera under certain circumstances (ISO160-320, flat lighting or contrasty lighting without extremes) but in a majority of cases, the S007 files are more flexible to work with. Re colour, there are instances where I can see a a small amount of green/yellow tint with 007 (especially landscapes shot with a polariser) but the colours seem pretty accurate to me in other situations (e.g. portraits).