The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S (007) intermittent black frame

Mikec

I have been enjoying my S007 tremendously. Every once in a while, the shutter would sound "a bit stuck" (the best I can do describing this). When that happens, the frame captured is black. I usually just turn the camera off and then back on. It happens maybe 1% of the time (I estimate ~15 times in about ~1500 frames).

Have you experience this?

Thanks.

vjr

I have been enjoying my S007 tremendously. Every once in a while, the shutter would sound "a bit stuck" (the best I can do describing this). When that happens, the frame captured is black. I usually just turn the camera off and then back on. It happens maybe 1% of the time (I estimate ~15 times in about ~1500 frames).

Thanks.
What you describing is exactly what was happening to my M9 some years ago. Camera went to Leica for service, shutter assembly was replaced and problem solved.

aDam007

Yes, this will happen once and a while. I told them about it before launch day.. But they never got around to fixing it.

rsmphoto

Thanks.
Yes! But in a slightly different way (so this may be related), and with both S2 and S. I shoot tethered pretty much exclusively, and I find this happens upon first connecting camera to the computer with LEMO cable, then powering up camera, with Leica Image Shuttle (LIS) already launched (my personal dance for connecting and powering up) - always releasing the shutter from LIS. Sometimes 1, 2 or 3 shutter releases result in a "half" sounding release - but no black frame appears though, it just results in no image at all. After a release reattempt or so (1, 2, maybe 3) things return to normal and no more issues. This does not happen often. But it has occurred for years, first with my S2 and now my S. I've relegated it to minor annoyance status really, but seems to be a possible software/firmware issue to me. Hard to say. Bottom line. I've found it noohing to worry about.

I'll be curious to see if this persists with the 007, once I upgrade.

Happy New Year to All!

Richard

Last edited:

Mikec

I have encountered a no frame once as well. Either way, it's mostly a small inconvenience at the moment. It's probably happening less than 1% and I can always tell by the different shutter sound.

As long as it's not a mechanical issue, I probably wouldn't worry about it for now. S007 + S lenses is definitely my favorite combination and I'd not want to be without the camera for a while.