Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica Summilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH FLE review

Post Thanks / Like

Leica Summilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH FLE review

A brief article / review where I share my experience with the 35mm ASPH FLE lens, which I've used heavily in the last years on a Monochrom, M240 and MP (analog):

http://indergaard.net/2017/07/06/lei...ph-fle-review/
    Instagram: instagram.com/borgeindergaard @borgeindergaard
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica Summilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH FLE review

Interesting review...

I normally skip reviews because people seem to spit them out after a day of using a piece of equipment but since this lens has been around awhile, I indirectly appreciated the delay.

"And I often wished it had a proper knurled focusing barrel rather than just the smooth metal. This is the same way the Summicron 35 ASPH is built, except the Summilux is more difficult to focus due to the floating element this lens has."

In regards to this, a couple of things...

When I first got my 35/FLE a couple years ago, it was pretty stiff. But in having owned a 50 Asph which is also an FLE, I knew from experience that it *might* loosen up over time and mine has, is only a tad stiff in the coldest weather being otherwise perfect in normal temps, even if I just use the tab which brings me to my next point.

As any Leica user might already know, the tab is pretty intuitive to use when shooting in the horizontal orientation but when in the vertical, it becomes awkward which can equal slow. So I now wrap the focus ring on all my non-knurled Leica glass in clear skateboard tape, super cheap, looks kinda invisible and you can still see the focus numbers through it. It is widely available and with a lens like the 35/FLE, it has made it an absolute joy to work with regardless of orientation. I use it about 75% the time when shooting horizontal and 100% of the time when shooting vertical. On the smaller Summicrons, I use it less in horizontal due to the tab being easier to find and use on a lens with that small of a diameter.

I have it on my 28mm Elmarit Asph, 35mm F2 V4 and the FLE, it's worth looking into...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grip.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	408.8 KB 
ID:	128083
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post