The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thambar lens announcement.

Shashin

As far as modern optics go, Mamiya had two soft-focus lenses for their RB/RZ 67. Rodenstock made a 300mm soft-focus lens for large format. Fuji made one for their 6x8 camera and large format. All came with a lens sieve. Soft focus lenses have always been a rather low-volume product aimed at a small group of photographers. They have never been cheap, unless you are just referring to badly made lenses on Holgas etc, which are not really soft-focus lenses, but sharp focus lenses that are soft.

richardman

The best soft focus lens I ever owned was the Cooke PS945. It was based on the first Pinkham & Smith Semi-Achromat lenses made in the late 1890s and a conventional sharp lens. I used Softars for a few years with 500 series V cameras, and they were certainly better than diffusion filters, but the Cooke was the best as it never did mess with the catchlights. I sold it when I sold off my last 4x5 box, and regret it. :(
Kind regards,
Darr
Darr, rest assured that your ex-PS945 is being used. I have taken at least 600-700 sheets of 4x5 with it for my various projects.

Knorp

You can take a look at Dpreview's "exclusive Leica Thambar sample gallery".
Permission to say "underwhelmed" ... :rolleyes: