The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK, enough with the equipment, lets see some lighting!

L

Landshark

This is a pretty simple three light setup with the fresnel again as the main light on the left, gridded head as a kicker on the right and a snooted head on the backdrop

fotografz

The Fresnel is off to the right with the doors shut down to have the light fall off the lower right of the frame, the angle of the light is centered on Anne face. The strip box is high on the left, the Oscar's fill is 90 degrees to the right low output pretty far off the set, the background light is behind the backdrop, hope that helps
Got it. Thanks a lot!

-Marc

L

Landshark

here is another 4 light setup the main light is a Profoto Magnum reflector outside the window and up high, the city scape straight head, the chair and fruit are lit by a grided spot, the whole set is filled with a Broncolor 220 slightly left of camera

fotografz

This is a pretty simple three light setup with the fresnel again as the main light on the left, gridded head as a kicker on the right and a snooted head on the backdrop
Masterful.

If you have a moment, could you expound on the use of the Fresnel ... your thoughts on the quality and control of light compared to other choices ... like say a Profoto 9' gridded reflector with barn-doors.

BTW, your participation is much appreciated :)

-Marc

David Schneider

Masterful.

If you have a moment, could you expound on the use of the Fresnel ... your thoughts on the quality and control of light compared to other choices ... like say a Profoto 9' gridded reflector with barn-doors.

BTW, your participation is much appreciated :)

-Marc
Marc,

I added a Larson 18" Fresnel to my modifiers. It's all set-up and ready to test, but probably won't get to it for a few weeks. I just love the way the light falls of with these things, just have to see if I can get the results I want. I'll let you know how it goes.

L

Landshark

For me a lot of lighting is seeing and feeling the light, so for the differences in the look of light shapers is not easy to put in words for me but here goes. The most common Fresnel I use are a couple of older Multiblitz Fresnel permanently mounted flashtube heads that were converted to work with Profoto power packs. What I like most about them it that are basically 10” DeSisti Fresnels with custom flash tubes that pretty faithfully reproduce the light one would get with a hot light or HMI light, they have a sort of sharp focused softened light with a very distinctive falloff, the addition of a large set of barn doors, helps to make for a very accurate falloff. The more common Fresnel is one in which you just insert a normal strobe head inside or in the back, while I still like using these, they seem softer and have a s defined fall off. Gridded heads with doors have there place too but you cannot get the same control with the barn doors, the falloff is wider and softer, you have to control them by the moving them closer or further from the subject. I hope this helps.
Here is a shot I did this summer with a mixture of Fresnels and gridded spots, a Broncolor 330 provides the basic fill as well a as a large strip box, the tent is lit from behind with 4 heads, the star lights are ac slave heads, fyi the tiger was added and there are a couple of head strips

irakly

I haven't posted for quite some time. Just was too busy doing nothing :)
Shot this last month in Siberia. Tree-light set-up. The most pleasant part was lighting the string :)

fotografz

I haven't posted for quite some time. Just was too busy doing nothing :)
Shot this last month in Siberia. Tree-light set-up. The most pleasant part was lighting the string :)
Irakly, Great! :) :thumbs:

Tell us how you pulled this off with lighting.

-Marc

irakly

Irakly, Great! :) :thumbs:

Tell us how you pulled this off with lighting.

-Marc
Marc, it is a relatively simple setup, really. Three lights: The main light was a 6x9' softbox on the left, the fill: a 6' white umbrella next to the camera, 1:2 ratio to the main, and a 5' tall strip on the right, which was there mainly to light the string. The light from it bounced from a rod prepping the grand piano lid (I am sure, it has its name unknown to me) and lit the string. On a 100% close-up you can see that the string is vibrating. The shutter speed was slow enough to let ambient light fill the room. I hate those new energy efficient bulbs, but this time they did well in terms of adding a nasty color cast :)
No, we didn't pull the tooth.

irakly

here is another 4 light setup the main light is a Profoto Magnum reflector outside the window and up high, the city scape straight head, the chair and fruit are lit by a grided spot, the whole set is filled with a Broncolor 220 slightly left of camera
Great job man. Both lighting and propping.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
LOL
Love those vacuum glasses.
old remedy for whatever ailed you.
Irakly, welcome back.
-bob

fotografz

Marc,

I added a Larson 18" Fresnel to my modifiers. It's all set-up and ready to test, but probably won't get to it for a few weeks. I just love the way the light falls of with these things, just have to see if I can get the results I want. I'll let you know how it goes.
Yeah, that would be great David ... and post a shot of Fresnel unit itself ... 18" is pretty good sized. Do you use a strobe head in it or is it self contained? If a strobe head, which one?

After seeing these in action and discussing them, it looks to be a worthwhile addition to the lighting kit. I looked on the Mutiblitz sight, but I can't tell if they are just for their heads, or if they can be adapted to my Profotos. The Profoto ones are a LOT more expensive ... especially the one I like (of course :)

-Marc

Update, went to the Larson site and those look pretty good ... they are a bit skimpy on the details ... can't figure out how to use them with the Profoto heads, but I'm sure there's a way. I wonder how small the beam can get with the 18" version (which is a 14" lens) ... have you tried that from say 5' away from subject David? Did you get the barn doors also?

Last edited:
L

Landshark

Sorry I forgot to mention that i have owned these Multiblitz units for years, I pretty sure they were discontinued quite a while ago, these days we are buying some Profoto ones

fotografz

Sorry I forgot to mention that i have owned these Multiblitz units for years, I pretty sure they were discontinued quite a while ago, these days we are buying some Profoto ones
ARRRRRGH!

I was afraid you'd say that, the Profoto one with built-in flash @ $7K is waaaaaaaay out of my price range. The ones you add to an existing head are much more doable ... but still really expensive (as are all the excellent Profoto items)

There is the 11.8" lens for $2,042:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/141180-REG/Profoto_100706_ProFresnel_Spotlight.html

Or the smaller 6" lens for $1,361:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/633104-REG/Profoto_100789_Fresnel_Small_Lens.html

The one that really interests me is this one which @ $3,793 is a lot more, but seems a much more versatile "kit":

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/783083-REG/Profoto_901176_Cine_Reflector_Video_Production.html

Any thoughts anyone ?????????????????????

-Marc

David Schneider

Yeah, that would be great David ... and post a shot of Fresnel unit itself ... 18" is pretty good sized. Do you use a strobe head in it or is it self contained? If a strobe head, which one?

After seeing these in action and discussing them, it looks to be a worthwhile addition to the lighting kit. I looked on the Mutiblitz sight, but I can't tell if they are just for their heads, or if they can be adapted to my Profotos. The Profoto ones are a LOT more expensive ... especially the one I like (of course :)

-Marc

Update, went to the Larson site and those look pretty good ... they are a bit skimpy on the details ... can't figure out how to use them with the Profoto heads, but I'm sure there's a way. I wonder how small the beam can get with the 18" version (which is a 14" lens) ... have you tried that from say 5' away from subject David? Did you get the barn doors also?

Marc,

I've got a Photogenic 1250dr attached to it. You just order the correct back plate for the strobe you'll use in it. You can move the strobe assembly forward or back to narrow the light beam. I don't believe the 18" model can take the barn doors, but the 14" does. If you are interested in it, ask for Jen, tell her you know me, and price will be substantially lower.

L

Landshark

I have used the first one, it is okay but will not give that hard and edge with doors, never used the second one, and the the third one I got one or two with my new HMIs and have not had much time with them yet.
you also my consider talking to a strobe repair man and see if they can convert one of these models from Hensel, They look they come in three different models with different plugs, it should not be that hard to either make pig tails or just rewire the plugs to what power packs you have, but check with someone first and see how much it would cost.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585824-REG/Hensel_3390_F_Spot_Fresnel_Flash_Head.html
this model too
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/481963-REG/Hensel_190_Starspot_3000_3000.html
or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/217067-REG/Speedotron_12343_10_Fresnel_Spot_W_S.html