Site Sponsors

Thread: Profoto B1x

Post Thanks / Like

Profoto B1x

Hi,

The Profoto B1x is realized.
    I am disappointed by it. It seems that they are not aware of the new technology on the market.
    It's still 500ws, but the battery lasts just 330 shots. Great improvement on the vacuum but not comparable to the alternatives. It continues to be heavy, big and slow. No new compelling feature.
    It's better, on paper than the B1 but that it's all.
    Both Profoto and Broncolor continue to have the advantage in terms of f-stops (9 vs 8 or 7 of the Chinese counterparts). Profoto is supposed to be more durable (Broncolor is fragile, more so than the impact venture), and Broncolor has the app. Profoto doesn't have the exposed bulb.

I don't know it seems to be that they don't understand the modern world.
    And old guy talking about how the pros and the people that "know" use X don't cut it anymore. We have the internet.

Rants apart solid update. The practicality of Profoto modifiers is still there. And Broncolor has the Paras, but you can use the Baras with Bowens.

Best regards,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Profoto B1x

The Profoto B1X is a minor update, particularly for those that already have the B1. Good news is that the updates are also available by firmware for B1 users. The new B1X battery can also be used on the B1 for extended capacity---no new modeling light though!

I'm currently testing and reviewing the new SMDV BRiHT 360ws strobe----I'm impressed, particularly by its TTL implementation (better than Profoto) and its lighter, smaller form factor make it ideal for wedding photographers. If I was still doing weddings, I'd pick up a couple (and still have money left over compared to my single B1 purchase).

I'm waiting for the next generation B2, with fingers-crossed for a hybrid with the old Acute B600 pack: more power, but lighter and smaller.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I'm keenly interested, as I'm at a crossroads.
    I'm currently in Africa with two Eli Rangers RX
    and one AcuteB.
    Two of my four RX batteries are dead, so are two out of four heads.
    AcuteB down to one Life battery.

Question: since I've been using mainly the 1100ws of the Rangers,
    I'm not sure about the B1s at 500ws. The Broncolor Siro at 800ws seems
    too heavy and too expensive.
    Anyone who also works with Phaseone and Mamiya RZ have thoughts on 500ws being enough as main light?
    Yes I normally dominate ambient light. And only shoot at 50ASA or 100ASA in a pinch.

Will find out soon enough when I start shooting - hoping I can get by with AcuteBs for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

How effective the B1 will be at overpowering the sun will depend much on your subject matter (how many/wide does light coverage need to be), distance, and choice of modifiers. The Profoto Magnum is good for about an extra stop of power. And of course, you've got those new leaf shutter lenses.... and built in Profoto Air on your new XF...

Post Thanks / Like

Ken - indeed. And at my widest, there's still many tricks to getting stuff done.
    Just a weird crazy scene right now - a new LiFe battery is $650, while a good used
    AcuteB kit with LiFe can be had for $900.
    Already that's almost half of a new B1X...lol.
    I think I'll head in that direction - with all my foreign locations, having not to deal with power packs,
    getting 300+ pops, a usable modelling light, seems the sensible choice...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the B1x is just a natural evolution of the product as technology has allowed. Good that backwards compatibility is maintained

Over time I've blown through a lot of different lighting systems until I bit the bullet and went with Profoto Compacts with Pocket Wizard ... then some Profoto studio packs also with Pocket Wizard triggers. Most lights back then were semi-worthless when you went to sell them used, except the Compacts. I actually sold them for more than what I paid new. Not sure that would hold true today with all the choices available now. Still, Profoto does seem to hold value.

Now there are a lot of different choices, many with tons of innovative features ... but I question the mounts and durability ...both being problems I experienced on set and location with other kits.

I agree with the review video I just watched about the SMDV ... all the manufactures of TTL units need to realize the popularity of other camera systems like Sony and Fuji etc. ... Profoto and Elinchrom both have TTL transmitters for Canon/Nikon and NOW Sony!

In reality, I haven't used the TTL feature all that much, but the HSS has been a fab addition to working with the Sony A7R-II and faster Zeiss glass outdoors.

Question: Has anyone simply removed the flat diffusion glass on the D1 or B1 and use it with a Magnum to see if the output increases?

- Marc