Site Sponsors

Thread: Which Hasselblad HC lenses

BlueLemon

Which Hasselblad HC lenses

I have the H3D2-39 with the 28 mm HCD and 80 mm HC

The process of selling both my Canon L lenses and my Hasselblad V equipment - including those Hasselblad lenses have already begun

CF 50mm
    CFE 120mm
    CF 150
    CF 180
    Canon 70-200/2.8L IS
    Canon 35/1.4L

Now I have my eyes on the HC 120 and the HC 210 since i have decided to have only one digital system - not both Canon + Hasselblad

Would these two HC lenses fullfill my needs - i primarely do weddings, portraits and landscape/interieur

Claus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Hasselblad HC lenses

I myself went with the 28 and the 100 as a start. I do mainly landscape, some portraits and maybe architecture.

I love the 100, it is a stellar performer and much better for me than the 80.

I am not sure if I would go for the 120, I rarely do macros I found.

I am considering the 150 or the 210 as my longer tele lenses, I am not sure which one I should prefer, need to test. A lot speaks for the 150 though ....

I still cannot get rid of the idea to keep my Sony Alpha system, as I would need this for fast wildlife photography, but not so sure if I will need it soon. So maybe selling it and jumping fully into Hasselblad would be the right choice for the moment.

As a High End P&S system I will buy into M4/3 most likely with the GF1. Actually then I will almost never use my Sony Alpha again I am pretty sure and also not my Leica M. The M4/3 is much more comfortable, smaller and IQ is very high - enough for the fast daily shoots

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot see using the 120 or 210mm without a tripod. I compared the 150 +1.7TC with the 210mm and found them to be very close in IQ so i sold my 150. I know there are newer 150s and I am not sure which one i had at the time since i bought it used. I agree the 100 is a great lens. Perhaps you should consider the 35-90mm. That one could be used for weddings and landscapes.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd think long term.

IMO:

get the 100/2.2, even if you sell the 80 to do it. It is my main wedding lens when using the Hasselblad H3D-II/39. I'm doing a portrait session tomorrow and that's the lens I'll use.

The 28 is great.

For weddings I'd question the wide zoom. It is pretty big on camera and would be a lot to lug around. Plus, if you do interiors you may eventually want the HC T/S 1.5 which will not take that zoom.

If you get the 120 macro ... then I'd say go for the 210 as 150mm would be too close to the 120.

If you do not use a macro often (you can use tubes instead) then consider this line-up ...

28, 50, 100, 150 & 1.7X ... I've used the 150 & 1.7X with the camera on a monopod at weddings and to shoot action stuff on location.

-Marc

P.S. you could keep the Zeiss 120/4 Macro and get a CF adapter to use it on your H camera ... macro work doesn't need AF anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Start with a 28/100 combination and spoil yourself. Keep your favourite V lenses and buy a CF adaptor. Your shooting preferences and habits will dictate what you will or will not use much. A set of extension rings and a 1.7X adaptor is a must.

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Start with a 28/100 combination and spoil yourself. Keep your favourite V lenses and buy a CF adaptor. Your shooting preferences and habits will dictate what you will or will not use much. A set of extension rings and a 1.7X adaptor is a must.

Enjoy!
    I shoot mainly landscape and this plus the 150 is the lineup that I have. I got the 80 as a kit lens and I'm selling it The 100 is sensational and reasonably compact. It's very good wide open for portrait. The 1.7x is a pleasant surprise to me every time that I use it. The 120 is huge. The V adapter is a little ungainly in use - I'm not certain that it will work for you in a fast moving wedding situation. I've just agreed to trade my 40 CLE and 50 CF for ah HC 35-90 - it's been highly rated by people I respect.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    I shoot mainly landscape and this plus the 150 is the lineup that I have. I got the 80 as a kit lens and I'm selling it The 100 is sensational and reasonably compact. It's very good wide open for portrait. The 1.7x is a pleasant surprise to me every time that I use it. The 120 is huge. The V adapter is a little ungainly in use - I'm not certain that it will work for you in a fast moving wedding situation. I've just agreed to trade my 40 CLE and 50 CF for ah HC 35-90 - it's been highly rated by people I respect.
    Yeah, Woody is right ... the CF Adapter and manual focus Zeiss V lenses is a nice combo ... but too slow for most wedding applications, or even some portrait work ... which is why I suggested it only for the CF 120/4 Macro since the OP already has that lens. Gotta have a longer lens for weddings IMO.

My new found love is the 210/4 that I just traded a Zeiss lens for with Son. The Bokeh is delicious and works nicely with the 100/2.2.

No more V lenses except maybe the Zeiss 50/4 CFi and 80/2.8 CFE on a H2F when shooting film ... but I'll probably sell those lenses and the adapter soon ... when it comes to MFD I'm just an AF guy all the way now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 120 mm is an incredible lens. Supersharp and very nice for portraits, but also still life, details during weddings but also the pictures in the park or gardens. I have two for sale, a used one and an almost new one.

John Collins

Has anyone used the HC 100 and HC 50 on an HTS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post

Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Collins View Post
    Has anyone used the HC 100 and HC 50 on an HTS?
    I did a micro review of the HTS here: Link to HTS thread

Overall I believe that the HTS is very well optimized to the 28 mm and the 80mm. The 100 is very good but you probably need to stop down a stop or so to get comparable results. I haven't tried the other compatible lenses.

BlueLemon

I already have the CF Adapter, but use only the CFE 120 on that.

And I really love the CFE 120 - tacksharp and performs well in streetphotography.

So I thought that I should shift it for a HC 120.....

But reading your comments, i might go for the HC 100 (used to have Canon 85/1.2L and I suppose it has some of that same feel and bokeh)

So the NEW suggestion for lens lineup :

HCD 28
    HC 100
    CFE 120 on adapter
    HC 210

and I will sell my CF 50 + CF 150 + CF 180 and the HC 80

What do you think ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLemon View Post

And I really love the CFE 120 - tacksharp and performs well in streetphotography.

But reading your comments, i might go for the HC 100 (used to have Canon 85/1.2L and I suppose it has some of that same feel and bokeh)

HCD 28
    HC 100
    CFE 120 on adapter
    HC 210

What do you think ?
    You gain a lot of flexibility if you add the 1.7x.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think ?
    Hi Claus,

If you have the CF Adapter and plan to use it with the CFE 120 i would also
    keep the CF 50 (in case you're not planning for a HC 50 or zoom), it's a
    moderate wide-angle (comparable to 35mm in the 35 format) which i use a lot.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy Holidays,
    Ralf

Post Thanks / Like

HCD 28
    HC 100
    CFE 120 on adapter
    HC 210

What do you think ?
    You have a really large gap between 28mm and 100mm, and two of your lenses would be really close, the 100 and the 120. The HC50 is roughly the equivalent of a 35mm lens in a 35mm system and is a focal length I personally find very useful. I used to have the 50-110 zoom but have switched over to primes.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ahhh what the heck, do like I did, buy them all and figure it out later.

Kidding aside, I wouldn't consider the 100 and 120 to close except in focal length. The characteristics of the lenses are miles apart. The 100/2.2 is the AF pictorial lens, and the V 120 is MF and more optimized for close focusing.

It's up to the OP and his actual applications, but manually focusing a V 50 is a bear on the H camera even with focus confirmation when shooting a fast paced wedding. On a tripod and shooting groups, it's less of an issue.

But there IS a gap there for shooting weddings, that's for sure. A HC 50 would fill it.

Member Paul Claesson Hasselblad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Claus,

The 28mm is a stellar lens.
    I would follow that up with the 50 f3.5, 100 f2.2 and 150 f3.2 and 16mm extension tube. With the 28mm included you will have a well rounded selection of lenses. While I love the IQ of the 120mm macro, I prefer the portability of the 150mm, you can also choose the 1.7x tele-converter if you wish to extend the range of your 100mm and 150mm lenses.

Paul Claesson
    Hasselblad USA

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone tried the 300 f/4.5? I just ordered one. With the 1.7 teleconverter one has a whopping 510mm of reach, though not particularly fast. I gather the lens is tack sharp though loses just a bit at the edges with the converter.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the 300mm and it is a great lens. I found the 210 and 1.7x to be particularly close to the 300mm prime. The 300mm prime and 1.7x was also really great. I just did not carry it around with that often so did not really use it as much as I thought I might.

I have to agree with Paul except I really like the 120mm and would not trade that for anything.... I found the 100 +1.7x to cover my 150mm needs. I had a 50mm but sold it. now with the HTS would like to pick one of these up again in the future.

John Collins

I have a 120 macro coming and am looking forward to it for tabletop work. The 50 doesn't seem to be a "famous for sharpness" lens - I wonder what y'all think of it? it would fit into the middle between the 28 & 80 nicely. The comments concerning the 100 seem to be very positive. I have the HTS and it has been said that it has been optimized for the 28 & 80. Does the 100 do as well as the 80 on the HTS if it is stopped down?

Post Thanks / Like

I can comment that in my opinion the 50-110mm zoom was a bit sharper than the 50mm prime until stopped down. However, the reason i want one is for the HTS. It would fill the gap between 28 and the 80/100 range

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the 28 and 100, then the 120 does not make any sense, only exception if you want and need Macro.

The 50 and 35 are not so great choices in my opinion. I would go for the 35-90 instead.

On the long side the 150 should be the best solution - together with the TC1.7. Or also the 210.

Just my 5c ....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    If you have the 28 and 100, then the 120 does not make any sense, only exception if you want and need Macro.

The 50 and 35 are not so great choices in my opinion. I would go for the 35-90 instead.

On the long side the 150 should be the best solution - together with the TC1.7. Or also the 210.

Just my 5c ....
    Just curious, is that direct experience concerning the 50 mm being "not so great" ... or internet hearsay? Don't know about others, but my 50 is pretty darned good ... it's much smaller, more compact and a faster max aperture than the zoom. Stopped down to the same as the max aperture of the zoom, I wonder how it would fare then? Plus, thinking ahead, the zoom cannot be used on the HC T/S 1.5, and is a slight crop on the 60 meg sensor ... where the 50 works on the HC T/S 1.5 and fully covers the 60 meg sensor.

For longer I'd go for the 210 over the 150 with 1.7X ... mostly because I prefer f/4 to f/6 max aperture. Gotta keep in mind these ISOs aren't Canon and Nikon levels. With the 1.7X on the 100/2.2 you cover the midrange with a 170/3.75 and with the 210/4 you get a 357/6.8 that still auto focuses.

Just my 10¢ worth

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what Marc says except there was a long discussion on LL about a year or ago and there was a pretty strong consensus that the 50mm was not as sharp as 50mm focal length on the 50-110mm zoom. That was my experience as well. Until the HTS, there was no need for me to keep that prime lens.

BlueLemon

I don´t know if it is too much to ask for, or even possible in this forum.

I would like to see some pictures taken with the HC 100 wideopen and also the HC 120 wide open - wedding pictures ect ....

I have maybe changed my mind about the 120, and will opt for a 100 instead - but will like to see some examples from that lens. I would then go for the 150 afterwards.

I am a pictorial lens kindda guy - and still working with analogue on large format cameraes, I work with Heliars, Jamin Darlot, Lerebours et Secretan and two other darlings : Verito og Kodak Soft Portrait.... these all go on 4x5 and 5x7 and even 8x10

So I am most keen on the 100/2.2 if it does what I think it does best - outstanding bokeh :-)

But could I ask for pictures or links to pictures taken with the 100/2.2 - and also the 120 makro

Appreciate it guys

Claus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyHyde View Post
    Has anyone tried the 300 f/4.5? I just ordered one. With the 1.7 teleconverter one has a whopping 510mm of reach, though not particularly fast. I gather the lens is tack sharp though loses just a bit at the edges with the converter.
    Here, 300mm + 1.7x:

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    http://www.jecxz.com

Post Thanks / Like

Now I have my eyes on the HC 120 and the HC 210 since i have decided to have only one digital system - not both Canon + Hasselblad

Would these two HC lenses fullfill my needs - i primarely do weddings, portraits and landscape/interieur

Claus
    You will be frustrated if you need to wait for the focus on the 120mm to cycle through completely since it has a very wide focus range (including macro). you could certainly miss a shot waiting for the autofocus.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic lens - but for wedding, get the 100mm and step a bit closer to your subject.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Just curious, is that direct experience concerning the 50 mm being "not so great" ... or internet hearsay? Don't know about others, but my 50 is pretty darned good
    Internet hearsay. Like yours, mine is "darned good."

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

BlueLemon

Does any of you with the HC 100, have pictures on your websites or know of any who does - I would really like to see.

Don´t have a local Hasselblad dealer nearby that could lend or hire me one :-)

Claus Stensgaard

Post Thanks / Like

Does any of you with the HC 100, have pictures on your websites or know of any who does - I would really like to see.

Don´t have a local Hasselblad dealer nearby that could lend or hire me one :-)

Claus Stensgaard
    You're welcome for my advice.

Check out http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com - there are more Hasselblad users there who my have wedding photographs for you to examine.

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but the 100mm is much nicer wide open, it's Bokeh is incredible; look it up if you don't know what that is.

Kind regards,
    Derek

BlueLemon

Hi Derek

Just registered on that site, but not many photo´s up - and I did not find any wedding shots as you mentioned. Can you send me a specific link ?

Claus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have same your hasseblad camera [Hasselblad H3DII-39] and also both lenses [28mm and 80mm], and the lenses i wish to add for this collection are: 120mm, 50-110, maybe 35-90
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tomorrow i hope i will go to a local Hasselblad dealer and i tested 120 there so that i want to buy it, i tested 50-110 which is great zoom and 28mm which i bought it, so i will see what i can test there.
    The lucky thing is that this dealer is also of Profoto lights dealer, he has really top end items to be a dealer for, i am looking for a Profoto light sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, is that direct experience concerning the 50 mm being "not so great" ... or internet hearsay? Don't know about others, but my 50 is pretty darned good ... it's much smaller, more compact and a faster max aperture than the zoom. Stopped down to the same as the max aperture of the zoom, I wonder how it would fare then? Plus, thinking ahead, the zoom cannot be used on the HC T/S 1.5, and is a slight crop on the 60 meg sensor ... where the 50 works on the HC T/S 1.5 and fully covers the 60 meg sensor.

For longer I'd go for the 210 over the 150 with 1.7X ... mostly because I prefer f/4 to f/6 max aperture. Gotta keep in mind these ISOs aren't Canon and Nikon levels. With the 1.7X on the 100/2.2 you cover the midrange with a 170/3.75 and with the 210/4 you get a 357/6.8 that still auto focuses.

Just my 10¢ worth
    The 35 is definitely not as good as the 28 WRT IQ, this is what I found out as well as what I was told from Hasselblad photographers who changed from the 35 to the 28, the 50 is not what I really want in terms of focal length - no experience about IQ of the 50.

The 35-90 is a great lens IQ wise as well covering the zoom range I would need for lot of my shooting work.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Derek

Just registered on that site, but not many photo´s up - and I did not find any wedding shots as you mentioned. Can you send me a specific link ?

Claus
    Claus,

I just did a search and could not immediately locate wedding shots made with the 100mm. Perhaps put a post there and do so at LL - I'm sure there are wedding shooters who use the 100mm. I'm surprised no one has posted any for you. I only do landscape with the 100mm, so mine won't help, sorry.

You can be very creative with the 100mm.

Kind regards,
    Derek

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jecxz View Post
    Claus,

I just did a search and could not immediately locate wedding shots made with the 100mm. Perhaps put a post there and do so at LL - I'm sure there are wedding shooters who use the 100mm. I'm surprised no one has posted any for you. I only do landscape with the 100mm, so mine won't help, sorry.

You can be very creative with the 100mm.

Kind regards,
    Derek
    Okay, here are a couple of HC 100/2.2 wedding shots. I grabbed them off a low res promo file I use to answer e-mail inquiries (The real files are buried in a storage HD).

The B&W one was shot at f/4.3 in very harsh noon sun, and the color one at f/2.8 (the color one has a wee bit of camera motion due to a slow shutter speed in available light, but it printed fine for the album).

Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a quick shot I just did of my Christmas tree with the HC 100/2.2 to show the Bokeh of this lens (with a extension tube and aperture set to f/3.2).

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a quick shot I just did of my Christmas tree with the HC 100/2.2 to show the Bokeh of this lens (with a extension tube and aperture set to f/3.2).

-Marc
    To support Marc's good example, here's another example of bokeh - just imagine these cows are the bride and her bride's maids, if you can.

Made with an HC 100mm f2.2 @f2.2

Kind regards,
    Derek

Post Thanks / Like

I find it interesting that people request web images to help make decisions on high end lenses for MF digital cameras. Am I missing something or do web images show something I cannot see. On my calibrated decent screen I am usually unable to tell the difference between images made with a point and shoot and those made with a MFDB unless highly magnified.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doc4x5 View Post
    I find it interesting that people request web images to help make decisions on high end lenses for MF digital cameras. Am I missing something or do web images show something I cannot see. On my calibrated decent screen I am usually unable to tell the difference between images made with a point and shoot and those made with a MFDB unless highly magnified.

Eric
    In the context of this discussion, the images posted demonstrate lens bokeh. This affect is visible in a JPG image. I also posted an image showing the sharpness of the 300mm + 1.7x (the fox).

I certainly agree with your statement regarding an image's color quality.

Kind regards,
    Derek