The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How does one become a fashion photographer?

BlasR

Poor guy, he took off in he will never come back.

oh well.
I will recommend if you have kids shot them.

BlasR

fotografz

Just wanted to add, when I was assisting while living in NYC back in the early 80, The photographer I was working for shot mostly for Conde Nast Publications, Vogue, Self Magazine, and lots of modern brides, the funniest part about the whole process is when I use to go drop off the chromes at Conde Nast, I would sometimes hang around and watch the fashion editor and assistant editor go through the images on the light table, Talk about subjective process, if you were a lower down employee and didn't automatically go with what the editor said, you were history.
The business at least back in the 80's was all politics. Yet... If you have an S2 that may at least get you in the door.
Not to mention a flowing white scarf, and sunglasses even at midnight. :ROTFL:

-Marc

G

GASC

Assisting is a very safe way. And the best school.

I'm currently assisting a big boy, so big prods, international top models etc...

My advices,

- be usefull
- shut your mouth
- you will learn very fast what is possible to do and what is regarded as delicate
- build your personality with discretion but surely. It means keep yourself at your place, you are learning, but be you, be joyfull, express your views.
- Observe a lot what is happening.
- Be interested in fashion, not only the models but brands, fabrics etc...
- Talk a lot with everybody, specially the stylists and models.
- Be ready to earn very little for awhile (or nothing at all)
- and be ready to spend a lot of hours in pp
- just learn the backstage circus because that is from there that you will grow (and not so much from the book because there are zillion good books)
- build yourself a great book and webpage but again, this is probably not what will makes it happen.
- Make sure you have a team mentality and a businessman spirit also, fashion is commercial first and art second.
- Accept the fact that unless people actually ask for you particularly, you are not going to have a great wealphy life with it only.
- You need to be sure that you can handle presure, competition, sordid stuff and be mentaly strong.
- The S2 will not give you any advantage at all, at least in High fashion or Couture. But in smaller stuff you will shine with it... for awhile.
- You will hear and see a lot of things, there are celebs etc...never talk out of the business about what you are seeing.
- Be very consistent, don't give-up.

Dolce Moda

There are thousands of assaults on the vision and integrity of these top creative people. The Ducks try to nibble every idea to shreds. The more subjective the endeavor, the more Ducks that gang up on it. The people that consistently make new ideas successfully, are often iron-minded in their own self belief, and shield themselves from the constant assault of the more compromise minded.

Frankly, IMO, we need more a-holes and less ducks.

-Marc

Marc... I really love this quote. I think it is good advice for me.

asf

Excellent advice (the last line esp)

Only how do you do both #2 and #7?

As an asst you have to be very careful who you talk to, when you talk and what you talk about.

Assisting is a very safe way. And the best school.

I'm currently assisting a big boy, so big prods, international top models etc...

My advices,

- be usefull
- shut your mouth
- you will learn very fast what is possible to do and what is regarded as delicate
- build your personality with discretion but surely. It means keep yourself at your place, you are learning, but be you, be joyfull, express your views.
- Observe a lot what is happening.
- Be interested in fashion, not only the models but brands, fabrics etc...
- Talk a lot with everybody, specially the stylists and models.
- Be ready to earn very little for awhile (or nothing at all)
- and be ready to spend a lot of hours in pp
- just learn the backstage circus because that is from there that you will grow (and not so much from the book because there are zillion good books)
- build yourself a great book and webpage but again, this is probably not what will makes it happen.
- Make sure you have a team mentality and a businessman spirit also, fashion is commercial first and art second.
- Accept the fact that unless people actually ask for you particularly, you are not going to have a great wealphy life with it only.
- You need to be sure that you can handle presure, competition, sordid stuff and be mentaly strong.
- The S2 will not give you any advantage at all, at least in High fashion or Couture. But in smaller stuff you will shine with it... for awhile.
- You will hear and see a lot of things, there are celebs etc...never talk out of the business about what you are seeing.
- Be very consistent, don't give-up.

G

GASC

Excellent advice (the last line esp)

Only how do you do both #2 and #7?

As an asst you have to be very careful who you talk to, when you talk and what you talk about.
shut your mouth, vs, Talk a lot with everybody, specially the stylists and models...

I meant that there are plenty of moments where you just have to do what others think regardless of your personal point of view and have to handle the cyclics bad moods and presure.
Then, in between the work, talk a lot (and listen a lot). Go to the bar with people even if you are tired, do not hesitate to ask.

So it's like a part where you really do not interfere and others spaces where you interact, and when it's time to intereact and exchange take the oportunity. there is enough presure in this milieu that being happy is opening doors very fast.

At the beginning I was doing that a little bit uncomfortable, now it's just floading. On the contrary of fashion's reputation, people are generaly very open and friendly. At least helpfull.

Oh, and an observation: I've never heard anybody talking about equipment, gear and brands like we like to do in the web. Do not talk about gear, even less with your boss. You just should know how it works. (brands, dr preocupations, the 35mm versus your mother in law and all the internet circus is not interesting anybody there)

Giorgio

The question is simple. How does one become a fashion photographer?
The one point not yet made is that you have to learn all you can about Fashion, Fashion Designers, Fashion Models, Fashion Stylists, Fashion MUA's, Fashion Publications, and well you probably get it now.

Fashion has to be your passion and you have to have in depth knowledge of the entire field, then find a way to fit in. Oh, and talent as a people shooter helps.