Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Ballhead and quick release plate

  1. #1
    drmytan
    Guest

    Ballhead and quick release plate

    I am new to this forum. I am from Malaysia. I recently bought the Hassy H4D 31 camera.
    In Malaysia it is not easy to get the top branded ballheads eg Arca Swiss, RRS etc.

    Luckily l managed to contact RRS in US via email and was advise to get these two since they are happy to deliver them from US to my country.

    1) BH-55 LR: Full-sized ballhead
    2) BH1-L Plate

    I also contacted the local company and was recommended to try Photoclam (Korea) Ballhead PC-54NS, and its PC-69-UP2 plate.

    I really appreaciate your honest comments on the matter. Should l buy from RRS in US through online or go to the local shop and buy the Photoclam items. Anyone has tried the photoclam?

    Thanks

    Marc

  2. #2
    tetsrfun
    Guest

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    RRS products are of the highest quality and the customer service is excellent. The RRC TVC-33 tripod is a nice accessory for the BH-55. :-)

    Steve

  3. #3
    drmytan
    Guest

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    RRS products are of the highest quality and the customer service is excellent. The RRC TVC-33 tripod is a nice accessory for the BH-55. :-)

    Steve

    Thanks Steve.

    Is the L plate compatible to H4D 31, and can the L plate do the job by holding camera firmly?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    tetsrfun
    Guest

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    Quote Originally Posted by drmytan View Post
    Thanks Steve.

    Is the L plate compatible to H4D 31, and can the L plate do the job by holding camera firmly?

    Thanks
    Yes and yes....the only "issue" with the "L" plate is that it isn't compatible with the "GIL" GPS system. In addition, I would get an 80mm clamp, lever or knob, rather than the standard 60mm for the BH-55.

    As an aside, many people on this Forum have moved away from ball heads and now use the ARCA Cube tripod head. For general landscape situations, I have started using the RRS leveling base with the RRS PCL-1 panning clamp.

    Steve

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    I am so happy with my RRS BH-55 and the L-plate for my H4D, sub-zero issue, and i couldn't be happier.
    Tareq

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    Yes and yes....the only "issue" with the "L" plate is that it isn't compatible with the "GIL" GPS system.

    Steve
    The L plate can be easily modified to accommodate the GIL. I have been using mine this way for a few years without any issues.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

  7. #7
    tetsrfun
    Guest

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg53 View Post
    The L plate can be easily modified to accommodate the GIL. I have been using mine this way for a few years without any issues.
    Thanks for bringing that up....I debated it but without personal experience decided not to mention user modifications.

    Steve

  8. #8
    Member Jay Emm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    Quote Originally Posted by drmytan View Post
    ...Should l buy from RRS in US through online or go to the local shop and buy the Photoclam items...
    For what it's worth, I'm in Australia and have purchased from RRS online a few times. They've been very easy to deal with, goods arrived fine - and as others have noted, the quality is very high (it feels like good old fashioned craftsmanship, people that take pride in making a quality product)

  9. #9
    drmytan
    Guest

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    Thanks guys. After reading all the invaluable comments, l have no hesitancy to get one soonest.

    Thanks guys a lot!

  10. #10
    drmytan
    Guest

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    Yes and yes....the only "issue" with the "L" plate is that it isn't compatible with the "GIL" GPS system. In addition, I would get an 80mm clamp, lever or knob, rather than the standard 60mm for the BH-55.

    As an aside, many people on this Forum have moved away from ball heads and now use the ARCA Cube tripod head. For general landscape situations, I have started using the RRS leveling base with the RRS PCL-1 panning clamp.

    Steve
    Thanks Steve.

    Can l order this clamp you mentioned above from RRS, what model is this? Does the RRS leveling base come together with PCL-1? I'm sorry asking you many times as l'm new to this stuff.

  11. #11
    tetsrfun
    Guest

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    Quote Originally Posted by drmytan View Post
    Thanks Steve.

    Can l order this clamp you mentioned above from RRS, what model is this? Does the RRS leveling base come together with PCL-1? I'm sorry asking you many times as l'm new to this stuff.
    I suggest that you download their 2011 catalog, it is very informative, however, the catalog will likely cause you to spend more money. So beware!!! :>)

    http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=91

    Steve

  12. #12
    drmytan
    Guest

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    I suggest that you download their 2011 catalog, it is very informative, however, the catalog will likely cause you to spend more money. So beware!!! :>)

    http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=91

    Steve
    Thanks Steve. No more questions!

  13. #13
    tetsrfun
    Guest

    Re: Ballhead and quick release plate

    Quote Originally Posted by drmytan View Post
    Thanks Steve. No more questions!
    With you interest in MFD, this is the best place ask a lot of questions. :>)

    Steve

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •