The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P45+ and Mac Air

rga

This may have been coverd before; if so I apologize.

I am looking for a lightweight solution to teathering my back in the field (aren't we all?). I've been told that the Mac Air doesn't work as it doesn't have a firewire port.
Has anyone found a way to get around this? If not, has anyone found a way to use something else (iPhone, iPad) out in the field to get a preview? My main goal is critical focus.

I was thinking that, if I shot close to my car, I could have the laptop running C1 Pro and use the new iPad app via wifi. Crazy?

Thanks for any insight you can provide,
Bob

2jbourret

Bob,
There is an article on LL where a netbook (with FireWire) is tethered in the field to a Phase back for technical camera work. It is the closest thing I've heard of to a lightweight field solution. Here's a link:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/field-tethering.shtml

Regarding the C1 iPad app: how would you have wifi from your car? Do you set up a hotspot?

Best of luck, and maybe something new will emerge, but for now I think no real viable solution exists for a high res display for existing Phase backs for field use. The iPad/iPod offers the ideal display, but not the connectivity. I am certainly looking for the same thing you are!

Jamie

rga

Bob,
There is an article on LL where a netbook (with FireWire) is tethered in the field to a Phase back for technical camera work. It is the closest thing I've heard of to a lightweight field solution. Here's a link:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/field-tethering.shtml

Regarding the C1 iPad app: how would you have wifi from your car? Do you set up a hotspot?

Best of luck, and maybe something new will emerge, but for now I think no real viable solution exists for a high res display for existing Phase backs for field use. The iPad/iPod offers the ideal display, but not the connectivity. I am certainly looking for the same thing you are!

Jamie
Thanks Jamie.
You per the following link, you can create a network without a hotspot:
http://help.phaseone.com/en/co6/capture-one-user-interface/viewing-photos/capture-pilot.aspx
The problem is that the Phase has to be connected to the computer. Then you carry the iPad around. I'd like just the opposite!
Best,
Bob

2jbourret

Ahhh... OK, so a network can be set up without a wifi router, but you are right, the laptop still needs to tether to the back, which is just the opposite of what is needed in the field.

Here's something else I came across, but was unable to find any more info to try to follow thru:

In an older article, I read a discussion of the development of a FireWire/Bluetooth dongle, which it seemed could be attached to a digital back. If a display device (read iPad) could run a dumbed down version of C1, it could receive, albeit SLOWLY, iamges from the camera via Bluetooth. No laptop, no cables, just camera and handheld display. Now that Capture Pilot has been developed, maybe we are a step closer to a similar solution.