The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sensor size question

gazwas

Dan, its a bit different for myself as I shoot a P65+ so the sensors and IQ of the new IQ/Credo's backs are basically the same but at this moment in time I personally would have a hard time justifying investing a large lump of money into an IQ or Credo when considering the leaps and bounds CMOS technology has jumped in the new Nikon.

I don't know if its possible for MF companies to adopts CMOS yet but it has to happen at some point as the advantages of CCD are getting smaller and smaller, year on year.

I love my P65+ on the Arca and wouldn't swap it for any 35mm system but upgrading for funky features alone on the IQ's/Credos is just not worth it IMO. Obviously for you, the upgrade in IQ from the Aptus to an IQ140/160 would be quite different image quality wise but if your clients love your work and its just for the toys I'd be tempted to wait and see what develops in MF land. I personally think HB are up to something and wouldn't be surprise if they are first to the finish post with new MF chip technology.

danlindberg

This is a very old thread that has come alive.

My position today is that I am totally happy with my Aptus II 5. I am getting very good results for what I and my clients need. Ofcourse, I would love to be able to shoot a modern Credo, but in all honesty, it isn't necessary.

Photokina will be incredibly interesting.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I can run a test today . The IQ 160 I just sold for the IQ 140 I could get a safe rise/fall movement with the Roadie 28 on the 160 of about 7mm . Now I will get more movement on the IQ 140 which I'm thinking will be 10mm but I need to move back to equal the same focal length the 160 had which is 18mm in 35 world compared to 22mm on the iq 140. All things being equal and I could move back than the movement advantage will go to the 140.

I've been meaning try this but been busy. I shot 2 frames on this back , need to go break her in. LOL

This was one reason I was not to unhappy to drop down to the crop of the 140 since it really don't matter much on a tech cam except if you can't move than obviously the FF would be better and you do lose some look with wide angles .

Shashin

...I also realise ofcourse that considerably more mp is a good thing...
Why? Your clients don't notice it. You have more than enough detail as it is. The larger images bring larger file sizes which means more storage and more processing power. But with a doubling of pixels, you only get a 40% increase in resolution and a doubling of file size.

I would go with a larger sensor for how it impacts things like DoF and being able to use lenses at lower frequencies so I can get better contrast/MTF, but not worry about how pixel pitch. The subtle impacts on the image because of sensor size would be the only reason for me to jump--but the darn file sizes are a turn off. Now, a 40MP 6x4.5 sensor would be great.

Shashin

BTW, just because you can move a smaller sensor back further than a larger one, does not mean you actually end up with more movement--it will end up have the same apparent field of view if you are stitching. The sensor is not a limit to movements, the lens image circle (and camera) is.

danlindberg

Shashin, it's an old thread/question (I've learnt a thing or two since then). I'm happy with my workhorse Aptus II 5 and I am not looking for any upgrade.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Im not so sure about that. I have limits on the lens movement on how far it will go the Roadies have disks in them that cut you off at a certain point. Maximum I could rise the 28mm is 7mm before the disk kicks in on a 160 Full frame ( it shows on the image) on a IQ 140 that will not show until about 10 or 11mm ( i need to make sure of this too). Now if i pull the camera back to the same focal length as the 160 it should give me net overall more rise. Im at the same focal length but I get more rise