The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for our Hy6/sinarback owners

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Bradley. I think I am just going to do some true, scene specific tests with a grey card to see what gets me what I need in the workflow I intend to use. I will use eXposure to get the DNG's (I had difficulty understanding Brumbaer), and then develop in lightroom. Though it comes in too dark, lightroom just has a superior interface to anything else out there that I have used -- I can get my files where I want them to be quicker and more easily than with anything else. Since there really isn't anyone around to teach me how to use all the intricacies of Brumbaer or eXposure, I am better off sticking with lightroom, since it is straightforward enough to figure out without any special instruction.

David K

Workshop Member
hi Stuart,
What you can try:
- shoot a white piece of paper evenly lit, with AE: it should come medium grey (18%): respectively, if you measure then the grey, it should be indicating RGB values close to the above numbers, depending on the working space used. Use for this "Standard Curve 3" in eXposure.
Thierry,

I am using eXposure version 6.01 which I believe is the latest. I do not see a "Standard Curve 3" choice anywhere, but perhaps I do not know where to look. In the process tab, to the right of the "gradiation curve" there is a pull down menu in the adjusting dock widget (looks like an "i") which allows setting of curve points. My options are Linear, Extra Shadow, Film Standard and High Contrast each of which has a significant impact on the image (I am using Film Standard). Is this where you make the selection to which you refer. Perhaps we are working with different versions of the program but I see no Standard Curve 3 choice...

David K

Workshop Member
Stuart,
I believe your workflow is sound and that by using either eXposure or Brumbaer to process the original files to DNG and then moving to the program of your choice (Lightroom) for final edits, you are not losing anything. I do the same (but use Aperture instead) and am saving my original capture folder to allow for future workflow changes. From a brief tutorial that Dave McRitchie (from Sinar) was kind enough to give me I can assure you that eXposure is a powerful and competent tool, especially for tethered shooting, when used by someone with experience. I hope to become more proficient with this program as time goes by. Actually, since I will be seeing Dave again at the Lighting Workshop in Ft. Lauderdale, I'm hoping to achieve more fluency with eXposure at that time. Anything I learn I plan on posting right here.

T

thsinar

sorry Stuart,

you are right: I used the name from Catureshop. In eXposure it is a different name: "Film Standard".

Sorry about that.

best regards,
Thierry

Thierry,

I am using eXposure version 6.01 which I believe is the latest. I do not see a "Standard Curve 3" choice anywhere, but perhaps I do not know where to look. In the process tab, to the right of the "gradiation curve" there is a pull down menu in the adjusting dock widget (looks like an "i") which allows setting of curve points. My options are Linear, Extra Shadow, Film Standard and High Contrast each of which has a significant impact on the image (I am using Film Standard). Is this where you make the selection to which you refer. Perhaps we are working with different versions of the program but I see no Standard Curve 3 choice...