Site Sponsors

Thread: Residue from sensor cleaning--advice

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Residue from sensor cleaning--advice

I was cleaning a sensor with a Visible Dust solution. It has left a residue on the sensor. Can anyone offer advice to fix this?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Residue from sensor cleaning--advice

I think I have my answer, but a confirmation would be nice. I think I can solve my problem with Sensor Swabs with Eclipse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I was cleaning a sensor with a Visible Dust solution. It has left a residue on the sensor. Can anyone offer advice to fix this?
    There are four types of sensor contamination.
    dust , dirt, and lint
    oily
    soapy
    salts

Dust, dirt, and lint, unless stuck by an oily or soapy material, can usually be blown away with a puff of air from a hand blower.

Alcohol based solvents such as eclipse work well on oily materials and to a usually adequate extent, to soapy films.

Salts require a bit of water to dissolve them.

The visible dust solutions are water based but one of the two that they sell can cause a soapy residue to be left behind.

For my own sensor cleaning ritual, I do the following:

1. Try a blower. Something like a large Rocket blower or the visible dust filtered blower usually works, and f you are careful, canned "air" can be used from a half-full can.

2. if there is something that looks crystalline, such as a small salt particle, and only if there appears such particles, then a water based cleaning fluid can be used. Distilled water is the best IMO, however you can also use a soapy fluid such as the visible dust solution. The visible dust solution since it seems to contain a soap of some sort will also mostly clean off oils, but may leave a soapy film behind, especially if it is used too liberally.

3. Oily based droplets are best removed with a fluid such as eclipse.

Personally I do step 1, then step 3, and if that fails, then step 2 followed by a repeat of step 3.

Since I m paranoid, I use a blower before each wet cleaning step to reduce the possibility of dragging a sharp hard particle across the sensor cover glass.

-bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob, thanks. I suspect I have that soapy Visible dust solution. I guess I will try Eclipse to remove it.