The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji 6x9, any experiences?

4season

I liked the GSW690 III tremendously: The huge negative, the aspect ratio, being able to print the borders of the film with the "Fujifilm Acros" markings visible. For street shooting, I felt it made people smile, maybe because it looks so improbably large, like a toy or movie prop. However..! While it can capture fabulous amounts of detail, if you don't hold it really steady, the advantage versus 6x4.5 or even 35mm is quickly lost, and of course the 6x9 format eats film like my old Mustang used to drink 92 octane.

Sarnia

I've owned a GSW690III for many years and still love it, however, I've recently bought a Voigtlander Bessa 667W and can wholeheartedly recommend it. The lens is just as sharp as on the GSW690III but is slightly wider (equivalent to a 27mm lens rather than 28mm), AND it has an in-built lightmeter that is bang on accurate. Love it!

Agnius

I love those GW690 cameras - I have used them (and 645zi) while traveling around the world a decade or so ago. They do take up a lot of volume in my pack though. At the end I used 645zi more because it was smaller size and easier to manage. 690 was more of a tripod camera.

malmac

I posted them to show how good Fuji lenses are in general.

Martin Schoeller uses the Fuji rangefinders.

Martin Schoeller for Time Magazine - YouTube

Martin Schoeller
Fred

Were you able to use your Phase 1 back with the Fuji?

I see somewhere there is a stiching back available for the Fuji, is this adaptable to a Phase 1 digital back?

I am thinking that this camera might be a more suitable camera for my uses than the Cambo WDS I have where I only have one 35mm lens -

A second hand Fuji and some lenses would give me movements at less cost than just one TS lens for the Cambo.

The camera is not for commercial work rather just my own self expression so if the lenses are not quite as sharp it may still be very workable.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mal