Site Sponsors

Thread: cleaning dust in the view finder/or focusing screen?

Post Thanks / Like

cleaning dust in the view finder/or focusing screen?

Does anyone know any tips or tricks to keep the view finder/focusing screen dust free on H4d-40.
    It always seems like no matter what I do I see dust somewhere while looking through the view finder. What I normally do is just remove the view finder and use a rocket blower on the focusing screen and the viewfinder. Occasionally, I will also remove the back and the lens and blow some air through the body.
    I think my problem is just dust on the focusing screen and maybe some is on the under side of it too.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by richieboone; 1st April 2013 at 20:16. Reason: forgot to add camera type

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: cleaning dust in the view finder/or focusing screen?

I have the H4D-40 also. Take off the viewfinder and the focus screen just pulls out by front right (black vertical loop near the grip) and slides back in the opposite way. Just remember where that loop goes and it's simple. Now the problem is sometimes dust is inside the viewfinder, and not on the focus screen or mirror. I have a very small piece of dust in mine that I just avoid looking at. I don't think taking apart the view finder is worth it because I would end up with more dust inside than I started with.

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish007 View Post
    I have the H4D-40 also. Take off the viewfinder and the focus screen just pulls out by front right (black vertical loop near the grip) and slides back in the opposite way. Just remember where that loop goes and it's simple. Now the problem is sometimes dust is inside the viewfinder, and not on the focus screen or mirror. I have a very small piece of dust in mine that I just avoid looking at. I don't think taking apart the view finder is worth it because I would end up with more dust inside than I started with.

Richard
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I had a piece or two of dust inside the viewfinder, very close to the center.

I just successfully cleaned the viewfinder

If you will clean the viewfinder, be very very careful

When you remove the screws and open the viewfinder, a 3 small metal pins will fall out, and you will need to put them back to the viewfinder's bracket when you assemble the viewfinder.

I repeat, if you cannot accurately work with small parts, don't do it!

Remember, when you assemble the viewfinder don't touch the glass, all that is tricky.

I believe it is much easier to clean the focusing screen.

Evgeny

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by evgeny View Post
    I had a piece or two of dust inside the viewfinder, very close to the center.

I just successfully cleaned the viewfinder

If you will clean the viewfinder, be very very careful

When you remove the screws and open the viewfinder, a 3 small metal pins will fall out, and you will need to put them back to the viewfinder's bracket when you assemble the viewfinder.

I repeat, if you cannot accurately work with small parts, don't do it!

Remember, when you assemble the viewfinder don't touch the glass, all that is tricky.

I believe it is much easier to clean the focusing screen.

Evgeny