Site Sponsors

Thread: Technical Camera questions

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Technical Camera questions

Hey all,

couple quick questions to satisfy my curiosity:

What tilt/shift technical cameras are out there? I know about Alpa, Cambo & I saw the Arca Swiss Rm3d at PhotoPlus. In particular, non bellows cameras and preferably ones that aren't too big.

What (more or less) would be the cost of one of these rigs (sans MFDB)?

TIA
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

DougDolde

Re: Technical Camera questions

Now that would be an incredibly easy way to do your research !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos,

You can get an idea of US ALPA prices on the Badger Graphis website: http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...duct_list&c=32 You might get these items for a bit less elsewhere, but at least these folks post prices. ALPA makes beautiful cameras and accessories, but I think their prices border on being silly.

ALPA make a few shift cameras, but to get tilt, you have to buy a tilt adapter, and shorter mount versions of the lenses. (80mm and up, as I recall). Don't forget that the camera prices don't include viewfinders or back adapters.

I believe that ALPA will sell lens mounts for their listed lenses if you already have one. Otherwise, as you'll see, the ALPA mount lenses are quite pricey.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sinar arTec was co-designed by Rainer Viertlboeck, and has both tilt and shift, without a bellows. It is rather pricy though, and starts above 10,000. I believe.

http://www.sinarcameras.com/site/ind...9-50-2158.html

(the link might expire, in which case go to sinar.ch, clicks on Products/Cameras/Sinar arTec.)
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Now that would be an incredibly easy way to do your research !
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn vos Savant
    "To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe."

Why reinvent the wheel when I can learn from the experiences of the other fine folks here? Besides, not all of the technical camera companies have useful websites (Arca Swiss in MIA web-wise).

And Doug, just because some people had to learn the hard way, it doesn't mean that the cycle of difficult information acquisition has to continue. That's what the Renaissance was about.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve, thanks I will check that out.

Carsten, I had forgotten about Sinar. They are always a bit out of reach.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carlos,

Linhof showed the new Linhof Techno at photkina 2008, basically a stripped
    down version of the 679s, see http://www.linhof.de/news-1_e.html
    Although its not as compact as the Alpa, its compact and lightweight enough to carry around in the field. The camera will come out this summer and what i heard the price
    is around 4700 Euro.

Best Regards,
    Ralf

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Ralf. I did look at the specs of the Linhof, and although it looks to be a fine instrument, it is a bellows-based design and not what I am looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos,

You may also want to take a look at the Silvestri Bicam or Flexicam. These are very compact-mini view camera systems that have all the movements of traditional view cameras but are designed to be used with MF digital backs.
    Both of these systems can be used with a sliding back or a standard mount where you just attach the back directly to the system.

You can mount your own lenses in their special bayonet mount or purchase one's pre-mounted. There are also adapter for V-series and Nikon lenses.

Let me know if you need more information.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for links, Lance. Does anyone have the contact info for Arca Swiss in the US? The Rm3d looks like a contender but there is no Arca Swiss web page for me to look this up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Thanks for links, Lance. Does anyone have the contact info for Arca Swiss in the US? The Rm3d looks like a contender but there is no Arca Swiss web page for me to look this up.
    Carlos,
    Here is the contact info. She is based in Chicago. Good luck.
    Diane
    [email protected]
    ARCA-SWISS
    773/248-2513

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    Carlos,

You may also want to take a look at the Silvestri Bicam or Flexicam. These are very compact-mini view camera systems that have all the movements of traditional view cameras but are designed to be used with MF digital backs.
    Both of these systems can be used with a sliding back or a standard mount where you just attach the back directly to the system.

Let me know if you need more information.

Lance
    Lance, maybe you can clarify something for me, I've been looking at this model also:

I contacted the UK distributor, and was told that it didn't support 5x4; yet there are 5x4 backs listed for this model, in fact there are three (I presume the differences are simply in the format markings?). Please can you tell me whether it does or doesn't?

If it does, I was interested in using this with non-HR digital Rodenstock glass; do you also know the shortest lens length that can be used when using the flexibellow maxi at 5x4 (I'm not bothered about image circle, just focussing to infinity).

Thanks,

Graham.
    Last edited by shakeshuck; 12th January 2009 at 10:16. Reason: clarifying lens type

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lance, you guys are Cambo dealers right? What's your (and Doug's) opinion of the Cambo WRS-1000?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lance, you guys are Cambo dealers right? What's your (and Doug's) opinion of the Cambo WRS-1000?
    Carlos,

I am no longer working for Capture Integration. I am however still involved within the industry supporting , selling and consulting on digital photography solutions as I was doing previously.(please not new contact info below and stay tuned for more details). I am still based down by you Carlos!

The Cambo RS1000 is an excellent technical camera platform that was built around the success of the WDS, but designed from the ground up as a digital platform. This RS1000 does the x/y movements on the rear of the camera shifting the digital back in both directions.Don Libby is using one and has some threads up here on this site, and also Jack, Guy and I spend some time using it on our recent trip to evaluate the P65+.

It does not offer tilts or swings like the ARCA,ALPA with adapter, Artec or Silvestri.

The Horseman SWD-ProII D is also another solution to consider if you are looking for an economical way to get X/Y movements and the use of digital lenses. There are few users on this site using this solution.

Lance

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shakeshuck View Post
    Lance, maybe you can clarify something for me, I've been looking at this model also:

I contacted the UK distributor, and was told that it didn't support 5x4; yet there are 5x4 backs listed for this model, in fact there are three (I presume the differences are simply in the format markings?). Please can you tell me whether it does or doesn't?

If it does, I was interested in using this with non-HR digital Rodenstock glass; do you also know the shortest lens length that can be used when using the flexibellow maxi at 5x4 (I'm not bothered about image circle, just focusing to infinity).

Thanks,

Graham.
    Graham,
    I will work on getting clarification in this for you.

Lance

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks all for your replies and support. I have decided to shoot for the Alpa 12 SWA with tilt adapter + Leaf Aptus-II 6 digital back. This is a long term goal for me as a photographer.

I created some wallpapers for the desktop. If anyone wants the fullsized (2560x1600) image the links are after each image:

Full Sized Image

Full Sized Image

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos nice wallpaper. The ALPA is an excellent system.
    Keep in touch.
    Lance

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carlos

Im neither Lance nor Doug however I just could pas up the chance to sing the praises of the Cambo RS 1000.

Theres been a considerable amount written about the new RS (some by me) so I really dont want to do a rehash. What Id like to do is address the simplicity of the RS.

When I first started looking at technical cameras my main worry was being able to achieve a proper focus followed by the fact Id be returning to a fully manual type of shooting. What I immediately found was a system so scary simple I thought at first I was doing something wrong.

Ive not had a single image that wasnt in focus if I did my part. What I mean is I need to remember to check the focus point to make sure I didnt change from the last time I was out or that it didnt get knocked out of whack.

Same goes for remembering to cock the shutter each time (Im getting better) as well as remembering to take the lens cap off (Im over that now).

One of the things I like the most about the RS is the brain dead simply method of being able to stitch images and have close to 100% usable image once I merge them in CS4.

It hasnt been all wine and cheese as Im still struggling (less each time) with lens cast and color corrections cause by the lens. Ive always preferred to run away from center filters and in doing so I need to do multiple LCCs (topic of another thread).

Returning to the positive I have both a 35 and 72mm lens (which equate to 25 & 51mm) and so far I have had to need to use a viewfinder thus saving me several hundreds of dollars.

Theres more that I could say about this kit but then Id start sounding like a salesman or some such thing which Im not.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Don. Your opinion is very valuable to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos,

I know that the Cambo RS is small and compact, but don't forget about the Cambo WDS. Please take a look at this PDF that they have on their family of technical cameras.

Chris Lawery
    Sales Manager
    [email protected]
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
    404-234-5195 | Cell

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

SWEET!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    SWEET!
    Don: I'll bite: what is sweet?

Chris: Thanks for the PDF. This is the kind of info I was looking for from Cambo. I may revise my decision based on this document and Don's recommendation. The WRS-1000 looks like a real winner. Please remember this is a goal for me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos - got carried away with the images on the PFD also thought the Compact would make a sweet point n shoot.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's what I figured. I actually published a blog article about that very idea (Cambo Compact as a P&S) last year. You can read it here.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It appears from reading the PDF on the three cameras that movements are available only on the DS and RS. The Compact while weighing a pound less than the RS has no movements. Am I reading that correctly?

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Both the Cambo and Alpa compact solutions are designed for small size and use of wide lenses. Neither Cambo Compact nor Alpa TC have shift movements. It merely turns your $30K MFDB into a point & shoot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Both the Cambo and Alpa compact solutions are designed for small size and use of wide lenses. Neither Cambo Compact nor Alpa TC have shift movements. It merely turns your $30K MFDB into a point & shoot.
    Heck, Ive jokingly referred to my AFD III as my point-n-shoot which it is if you compare it to a technical camera.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Considering the DoF of a wide lens, autofocus is not really necessary and a TC or Compact is way smaller than a Phamiya.

carbonmetrictree

Hey Carlos, which viewfinder do you like better? Seeing another SWA always puts me in a good mood

Full Sized Image[/QUOTE]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Andrew, I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I am in the info gathering stage at this point and it is down to the Alpa SWA and the Cambo WRS-1000. The SWA images I used for the desktops (to which all are welcome to use) were provided by Alpa. I am really taken by it's design and the idea of using the Leica UniFinder really makes it unique. I would just have to figure out the lens length conversion to dial in the right settings.

As an Alpa owner/user I have a few questions for you:

What are your feeling towards the SWA?

Does the 1-axis shift restriction impede you in any way?

How do you stitch panos with it?

Have you used the SWA extensively?

Which shots in your gallery are with the SWA?

What MFDB do you use?

Thanks for putting up with me and all of my silly questions.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Isnt the Frankefinder 2:3 ratio? I wonder if this is a problem or not. However I use a 3:4 Ricoh finder on my M8, it should be worse to use a 2:3 Finder on a 3:4 camera/back.

Hey Andrew, I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I am in the info gathering stage at this point and it is down to the Alpa SWA and the Cambo WRS-1000. The SWA images I used for the desktops (to which all are welcome to use) were provided by Alpa. I am really taken by it's design and the idea of using the Leica UniFinder really makes it unique. I would just have to figure out the lens length conversion to dial in the right settings.

What MFDB do you use?

Thanks for putting up with me and all of my silly questions.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Isnt the Frankefinder 2:3 ratio? I wonder if this is a problem or not. However I use a 3:4 Ricoh finder on my M8, it should be worse to use a 2:3 Finder on a 3:4 camera/back.
    Of course I meant: .... it should NOT be worse ....

carbonmetrictree

Hey Carlos,

One the most important factors that made me decide on ALPA was the fact that their cameras are, in a way, timeless. There isn't a large depreciation value if one decides to sell their SWA one, two, or even five years down the road if it is kept in great condition. I wanted purchase a camera that would not be outdated, I would be pretty upset if a camera manufacturer decided to change a lens mount or compatibility of accessories after I had acquired a plethora of gear. I have not used the Cambo WRS-1000, but I would still go with an ALPA any day because of the absolute simplicity in design, it is perfect in all aspects, IMHO. Jeffrey Totaro had a great review of the WRS, and I would have picked one up as a back up if the lens mounts were compatible. If that doesn't help, just remember that there is a large assortment of fun accessories to burn several holes through your wallet and bank account. Where else could you go if you felt like purchasing an $800 bubble level?

The SWA is a great mix of the Max and TC. I have used all three, and decided to purchase an SWA because of vertical shift capabilities. The weight distribution of the camera makes it very comfortable to handle, almost similar to an SLR in a way. Also remember that the WRS cannot be integrated with a wake up button into the handle, so it will be difficult to wake up the back, unless you have Kapture Group's One Shot cable. I tend to use the Max only for architectural shoots and the SWA for everything else because of it's size and weight.

I recently had an associate of mine ask if I would be interested in renting it to him for a job he had. I honestly told him that I have become too attached to all of my ALPA gear to let it out of my sight, so I was hired as a digital tech to ensure that the camera never left my hands. At this point, I think I should just get the rosewood grips embedded into my hands, only to be pried off when I die.

It doesn't impede too much because I have a Max to use when I need horizontal shifts. However, when I do need a horizontal shift while using the SWA, I have been rotating the camera 90 degrees and use the rise/fall as my x-axis while keeping a vertical (portrait) orientation on my DB. Even then, I've always had enough space to physically move left or right, or been able to use a wider lens and crop just a bit in post.

If you don't want the lens to move to do a panoramic, you can always flip the lens and digital back around, so that the lens is on the back of the SWA, and the digital back is on the front. This will allow you to do a vertical shift and maintain the lens' position to ensure that a panoramic will be aligned correctly. The entire 12 series line of cameras were built to ensure flexibility in options, it made me smile when I found out about this when my first ALPA shipment was on it's way to my home. Although, at times, I am a lazy stitcher and will leave the lens and back in their normal orientation and will let Photoshop deal with the rest of the work.

I've had the SWA for about a month and a half now. I feel guilty for not using the Max more often! The Max is too cumbersome to be hauling around my neck for my personal work, so the SWA has become my primary camera for everything not architectural. I just took my SWA back home to Hilo, HI this past holiday season and came back with fantastic images. Many of then required a few millimeters of shifting, I never once needed a horizontal shift.

All of my new experimental architecture and personal portfolio images have been shot with the SWA. Check out the industrial section in my personal work, I think only two images in there were shot with the Max.

What MFDB do you use?

I'm currently using a Phase One P45+ mainly due to long exposure times ranging from 1-10mins @ ISO50.

Thanks for putting up with me and all of my silly questions.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem! I'm not on here too often anymore because of work, but I am always here to help. Feel free to email me directly if you need anything.

carbonmetrictree

I like the idea of the Frankenfinder because it has a lower profile than the Silvestri and the ALPA VFs. I've only been using the ALPA VF to get a more accurate view for an interior shot to double check that the elements within a space have proper separation. Eyeballing guesstimation have become an important factor in my workflow.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos,
    I am also interested in those cameras.
    I ask myself in which regards the Alpa would have any technical advantages over the Cambo-WRS1000.
    The Cambo would offer more shift capabilities and should therefore also work better for stitching?
    If I had to buy today my heart would say Alpa and my brain Cambo.

Regards, Tom

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carbonmetrictree View Post

It doesn't impede too much because I have a Max to use when I need horizontal shifts. However, when I do need a horizontal shift while using the SWA, I have been rotating the camera 90 degrees and use the rise/fall as my x-axis while keeping a vertical (portrait) orientation on my DB.
    Could you explain this further? Does the SWA have a method for mounting the camera at 90 degree rotation? That would certainly clear up the horizontal stitching issue.

Is the wakeup cable grip available in rosewood/pearwood or is it synthetic grips only?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos,

The ALPA website says the SWA with wake up cable comes in black synthetic or rosewood: http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=pr...detailpage=245 The black synthetic is pretty nice.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Stephen,

I found that after downloading their catalog PDF and reading the whole thing cover-to-cover. I am falling into the same groove as Andrew and Tom: brain says "Cambo", heart says "Alpa with rosewood grips".

However, I am torn between getting a Leaf Aptus-II back (which fits better into my current workflow) and a Phase back with much longer exposure times (but requires switching to Capture One Pro - which I do own - to get the best out of the RAW files).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos,

Have you talked to Doug at Capture Integration? (They're in South beach.)

I think if you buy him lunch* you could get a quick overview of Capture One that might sway you. I really hated it until Doug showed me how well it works.

Steve

* And probably even if you don't. But there is a cool cafe a few blocks from CI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

However, I am torn between getting a Leaf Aptus-II back (which fits better into my current workflow) and a Phase back with much longer exposure times (but requires switching to Capture One Pro - which I do own - to get the best out of the RAW files).
    Carlos:

Just curious as to why the Leaf fits better into your workflow -- are you already using LEAF Capture software for some other camera?

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

edwinb

I think the above discussion wouldn't be complete without mentioning the Sinar arTec, It is a little wider but can do step and repeat accuratly almost doubling the pixels of the cameraback, Leaf as well as sinar camerabacks compatible
    Edwin

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Edwin for the information.

Weve got several threads ongoing related to technical cameras and several images of them spread over many pages. Id like to suggest a new thread only this time itd be more like show and tell; kinda like show us your technical camera!

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the input Edwin! The SinarTec had been mentioned but it is too large for my purposes.

Jack, I prefer to use Aperture 2 and Leaf files come up very nicely there now. The Phase files load into Aperture 2 but don't render previews correctly. Plus, the Leaf can save me a few bucks in not having to use a wake-up grip.

Stephen, the cafe is called "Pink" and I have eaten there with my sister who lives a couple of blocks away from CI. I am meeting up with Chris on the week of the 26th as Doug is away teaching a class.
    Last edited by etrigan63; 16th January 2009 at 16:15.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes in Moab. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yes in Moab. LOL
    O_o ?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug will be in Moab at our workshop teaching C1 from basic to advanced techniques and also bringing the Cambo and hopefully a Silvestri plus a bunch of Phase backs. One reason besides the learning and shooting going on it is great to try this stuff out before putting out the money. We do happen to have ONLY one spot left. Need to read those workshop announcement folks.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

carbonmetrictree

Hi Carlos,

I have a Bogen 410 geared head for my 90 degree rotations, the ALPAs do not have any mechanism for a rotational axis. The 410 is mounted on a Gitzo GT5561SGT, giving me tons of stability to feel a little more comfortable about having my camera hanging sideways.

The wake up cable grip does come in rosewood/pearwood and also synthetic. I have been happy with my results with KG's One Shot, and using ALPA's cable release shoulder accessory and supplied ALPA cable release (that works with the One Shot). I'll take a few photographs of my camera to give you a better idea once I'm done with some of my work tonight.

Could you explain this further? Does the SWA have a method for mounting the camera at 90 degree rotation? That would certainly clear up the horizontal stitching issue.

Is the wakeup cable grip available in rosewood/pearwood or is it synthetic grips only?

carbonmetrictree

I actually like some of the color cast in my personal work, so I'll actually just import all of the files into LR2 and edit the Phase TIFFs directly in there, rather than using C1Pro. C1 does retain more sharpness than LR2, but I like how LR2 handles highlight recovery and shadow fill than C1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Carlos:

Just curious as to why the Leaf fits better into your workflow -- are you already using LEAF Capture software for some other camera?

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I met with Chris today and Lance showed up as well. We talked about technical cameras and got to handle the Cambo Wide DS and I have to say that it's a lot smaller than I expected. The RS must be tiny in comparison! I will be doing a write up about my visits to CI and I will let you guys know when they are up. Puttering around Flickr, I noticed that there wasn't any groups for Cambo digital shooters so I took the initiative and created one. I invite all interested parties to join and participate! The URL is:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/cambodigital