Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Post Thanks / Like

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

When Microsoft first released its Surface Pro tablet, Don Libby & I starting talking and wondering about the potential of this USB3 capable device---but it was all academic at the time, since Phase One had yet to enable USB3 on its IQ series MFDBs.

Then came the big firmware update from Phase One, and USB3 tethering became a reality for IQ series (and Credo) MFDBs. And the big plus is being able to tether on location with a smallish tablet, a much more convenient form factor than a laptop.

I jumped quickly and purchased a Surface Pro 2 tablet, and have spent quite a bit of time and resources configuring a compact tethering package for my IQ180 and Cambo technical camera.

You can read my review and the details on my blog: Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2: A Game Changer for Phase One IQ Series and Leaf Credo Medium Format Digital Backs | Kendoophotography's Blog

Needless to say, I'm really excited about using the Surface Pro 2 with my IQ180 and I wanted to share or enable others that might be interested in what I believe to be a great option for USB3 enabled MFDBs, and allow others to share their experiences tethering with the Surface Pro on location.

ken
    www.houseoflandscapes.com
    www.kendoophotography.com
    www.carmelfineartprinting.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

You can easily adjust screen brightness on the SP2 by tapping on the battery/power icon located on the lower right corner of the screen. Where appropriate, you may wish to add a sun shade. I'll probably do without most of the time, but this is the one I configured for those really bright days. It's lightweight and folds flat for storage inside the Manvex case. The tablet clamp holds it securely on top, and velcro tabs secure the bottom wings.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Hi Ken

Great idea - Just when I thought I could take a break!!!

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good morning Ken,

that's great stuff! I would say "many thanks" to you for your efforts to write and show this. If you are a Phase IQx-User or Leaf Credo, this should be an good way to focus with a tec-cam. I didn't want that so far - but now I'm thinking about such a Surface...

Post Thanks / Like

On an older back with FW800

Would something like this work to end up on USB 3 ?

https://www.nitroav.com/store/nitroa...-repeater.html

It says it can be used as a repeater. So could we go from MFDB FW 800 -> nitroav box -> USB 3 -> SP2 ?

If so then this method could be used to open the door to older non USB3 backs to this method that looks great.

If it could work, i know its another box to carry and setup/power etc. I think the SP2 could power the nitro box, so that would take care of that requirement.

Given one has to take the tripod out of its bag/case and set it up, take the camera out and mount it to the tripod, then take the back out and mount it to the camera then take the lens out and mount it to the camera, having one more thing to setup does not seem overly burdensome if it opens the door to this wonderful idea you have come up with.

If this would work, all of a sudden all the old legacy backs can have the benefit of focus mask via C1 and critical focus ability and framing from the SP2

Thoughts ?

Post Thanks / Like

Firewire and USB3 are different protocols, and as far as I know, there are no adapters or converters on the market that provide for a direct Firewire to USB3 connection. The Nitroav in your link appears to be only a hub and not a converter.

For legacy backs, your options really are only with their native tethering Firewire protocol. This means either having a computer with a Firewire card, adapters to provide power, or even a thunderbolt adapter. It can/does work, but not nearly as easy as tethering with USB3. Not even close. The attraction of using the Surface Pro 2 on location is its relative small footprint, tablet form factor, and ease of use. Assuming it was possible to rig up all these different adapters and converters to "make it work" probably would quickly become an exercise in frustration, as the more links added to the chain, means more things that can go wrong---not to mention having to carry all that extra gear with you.

In a nutshell, tethering with the Surface Pro 3 is limited to USB3 capable MFDBs, and at the current time, that means Phase IQ series and Leaf Credo only. If you're going to tether with an older MFDB, realistically you're really looking at a laptop with required adapters.

The beauty of tethering with the SP2, is the ease and speed to set up, while still in a small lightweight package.

ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not an expert on this however I don't think there's any gizmo that makes a firewire into USB. The repeater you shared is just that, a repeater for either firewire or USB. What it does not do is make firewire into USB or the other way around.

I remember looking into this shortly after the Surface Pro was announced thinking the same as you and quickly found that each is a separately incompatible system (for lack of a better term). There's different versions of firewire just as there's different types of USB. USB 3 can read/work well with USB 2 and 1 however USB 1/2 can't read 3; it's a one-way road going downwards.

I also think we'll never see the Surface Pro 2 or 3 have firewire as it takes more power than USB thus the battery just would be able to handle it.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Ken beat me to it....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I suspected it would be something like that - was hoping it could take FW in and spit USB3 out.

The SP2 idea is sheer brilliance !

I want to use an Aptus II - so no USB3. hmmmm,.........what to do. Really liked your SP2 idea.

I guess a phone call to the maker of the Nitro device couldn't hurt just to make sure it wont work ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Young'ee,

I have an older Aptus back, and really like it, yet I also want and have looked for a solution to be able to connect it to a tablet in the field. I spent a lot of time searching and found next to nothing. That said, there is potentially an option or two depending on how adventurous you are.

I managed to find one tablet which has firewire built in as well as a Windows 7 pro operating system (I think you can do windows 8 as well). It can use two separate batteries, and they are hot-swappable. The only potential problem that I can see, is that I don't know if the firewire port is powerful enough to power the back on its own (without needing a repeater, etc..). I haven't yet bought one, so I haven't been able to test. Here is a link:

J3600 | Motion Computing

The other idea I was toying with was, rather than connecting the back to the tablet via firewire, was to buy some sort of an extender for the CF card, and thereby have the CF card plugged into the back, but have an extender cable coming out and being able to connect the second end to a computer. I thought that perhaps both the back and tablet could read from the same CF card at the same time. I have not tested this either, it was just an idea. Here is an example of an extender:

Sycard Technology-CF extend 180 CompactFlash Flexible Extender Card

There would be a fair amount of fiddling around to potentially get this to work, but who knows, you might be the kind of guy who would enjoy this type of task.

Best,
    Foster

Post Thanks / Like

The CF extender is not going to work.

This at the bottom of the page........

........... "The CFextend 180 has been discontinued. No replacement is available"

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, it's been a while since I looked at this solution. Yet, here is another product from the company which may work:

Sycard Technology-CF extend 182 Low Profile CompactFlash Flexible Extender Card

And this link shows their full range of products:

Sycard Technology-CompactFlash Products

Foster

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished looking at the J3600 Foster shared above. I looked at the specs and saw it has 2 USB3 and can be configured up to 8GB RAM however I couldn't find anything regarding firewire. I also looked at the overview where it shows the various ports; maybe in the docking station?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the CF extender is just that it extends the CF which is not the same as tethering the back so you can use C1. Sorry...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Don,

My apologies, it has been a while since I looked at this. For the tablet, it does not have a built-in firewire port, but it does have an expansion card slot. This can accept a type 34 ExpressCard, and there are several cards available with firewire ports. I was incorrect when I called it a "built-in" firewire port.

As for the CF card extender, my though was not to use it "tethered" to C1, but that it would function like a typical card reader when plugged into a tablet or computer. It can simply see the folder which contains the images shot on the back. This folder could be set as a "hot" folder in C1, and would then read and make previews for files as they are shot on the back. I was looking into options to allow one CF card to be connected to two devices, but got preoccupied with other projects. The extender just helps get the CF card physically out of the DB, so that you could try and make another connection to it.

Foster

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention, that when you look at the specs for the J3600 mentioned above, click on "Expansion Module" and this lists the existence of the ExpressCard 34 slot.

Foster

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried out a laptop (Win Vista x32 on it) with a ExpressCard 34 slot in the past + my Phase One P20.

Yes. I was able to connect this combination (additional power with battery in the back) . Was possible to do a firmware-update this way.
    I had installed C1 v5 on it (x32) - but never got a connection with this to my back. I don't know why...

But I never got waked up a Leaf. With this you need more power than the ExpressCard could deliver.
    Ok. You could use this:
    https://captureintegration.com/produ...e-powered-hub/

But I don't think in the field...

I think, there is no real way with ExpressCard + Windows on a laptop / tab with no gen firewire-port.

I think if you want to use a Leaf Back in the field think about two things: a macbook or an upgrade to a Credo/P1 IQx.

Post Thanks / Like

I've received some inquiries on the sun shade/screen. I tried to find a commercial offering, but didn't find anything really suitable for the Surface Pro and this particular tethering set-up. Total cost is about $20 in materials. I don't think the sun shade is absolutely needed, but it is a nice option to have in your bag.

My sun screen is made of a durable, thin, plastic material, gaffers tape, and combination of velcro squares and strips. The plastic material is from the outside cover of a cheap Itoya portfolio case available at larger art supply stores, for about $10 for a 8x11 portfolio.

Cut the plastic cover to size to fit just slightly less than the Manvex case interior. (I used a rotatrim). My center shade piece measures 7" x 10". This may be the only shading you require; simply slide the plastic onto the top portion of the clamp to shade the SP2.

If you want to add side walls----the side walls or wings measure 7" x 7.5". There is about a 1/2" space left in between the wing and the center piece---where the gaffers tape is applied on both sides. This allows enough space for the sun shade to wrap around the Manvex case, yet still fold up and store inside the case. It's pretty easy to make and the hardest part of making this sun shade is cutting the gaffers tape the right size! Velcro squares are affixed on the bottom rear corner and also above the fold on the Manvex case. Another velcro strip attaches the bottom of the sunshade to the Manvex case just above the bottom fold (where you put the velcro squares), and helps support the sun shade. I did make a small cut-out for where the USB3 cable connects to the SP2.

The sun shade should fold up flat for storage inside the Manvex SP2 case.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken,

Can you show pictures? How much do I have to pay you for a patent?

Pramote
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You need to create a downloadable pattern.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

when you eventually want to get your C1 session off the Surface Pro to your studio computer, you can use the USB3 CF (Lexar) reader to dump onto a CF card

Post Thanks / Like

General photos of my tethering set-up with the Cambo and SP2 are on my blog: Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2: A Game Changer for Phase One IQ Series and Leaf Credo Medium Format Digital Backs | Kendoophotography's Blog

I have found that the best USB3 cord length is 1.5 feet. I had tried to use a left angle USB3 adapter and a 1 foot cord, but tethering wasn't working well, and file sent to C1 Pro inconsistent (cheap adapter I surmise). It's too bad because that was really a nice sharp clean setup! I use a 3 foot USB3 cord when I need to work in portrait orientation and turn the MFDB adapter.

Photos of the sun shade are up above---about a dozen postings. I can provide more details if you need....

ken

Post Thanks / Like

I use a USB3 thumbdrive to transfer my files from the SP2 to my workstation which also has USB3 ports.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been working tethered to a Surface Pro for a year now. IQ180 via USB3 of course. works great, and you get a 100% accurate 'Retina' display view of your image to check focus/depth of field, etc. I stitch with Alpa, so find it very helpful to work this way, and it's relatively lightweight.

Hesitated to post about it, as you usually end up with the Apple crowd chirping up with silly comments about Windows, etc. But until Apple release an iPad 'Pro', this is a truly excellent solution for IQ series backs.

You do need your IQ 1 series to be Revision 2, ('About' on menu) as the Rev1 USB internals were not really up to the protocols. Phase upgraded mine under the 3 years warranty, and I would encourage others to get that done while covered, if you have an earlier IQ back.

Be sure to write to the internal memory of the Pro, not to an SDXC card in the Pro's card slot, as that's slower. I guess that card could be configured as a backup copy if it was mission critical. I just transfer the images + C1 proxies onto a superfast USB3 memory stick (Patriot 128Gb Supersonic Magnum USB3, about 200mb/s) when I'm done, and pull it all into the workstation, etc.

It should also be mentioned that the original Surface Pro '1' works perfectly and is incredible value on eBay now. Less $ than an iPad. It has less battery time than the Pro 2, but the screen, etc are the exact same. All this begs the question: why on earth spend $15,000 to upgrade IQ1 to IQ2 for wireless tablet viewing, when a $8 cable will link you to a Pro tablet with full C1 on it?
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It really should not devolve into an Apple Mac vs Windows issue. (I don't like the Win 8 interface either, but it's easy enough to change with Classic Shell). I don't think anyone would really want to use the SP2 as their full-time C1 Pro image processor anyway, so it doesn't really matter if you're Mac or PC, imho. Just simply copy your files over to your PC workstation or to your Mac and process as usual with C1 Pro.

The SP2 is just a great viewing platform and focus and composition tool. This is not to say the IQ screens aren't great---they are the best on the market. It's just that the SP2 USB3 tethering option is such a great tool for aging eyes, and it is so easy to use.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    All this begs the question: why on earth spend $15,000 to upgrade IQ1 to IQ2 for wireless tablet viewing, when a $8 cable will link you to a Pro tablet with full C1 on it?
    IQ260 also has advantage of long exposure up to 60 min, if you need that.

Is it worth of spending $15,000 for up to 60 min long exposure? That is a personal decision.

I personally decided to use high mp 35mm DSLR for long exposures and long lens work simply for cost reason. But I don't get 60MP image either from 35mm DSLR.

Subrata

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    It really should not devolve into an Apple Mac vs Windows issue. (I don't like the Win 8 interface either, but it's easy enough to change with Classic Shell). I don't think anyone would really want to use the SP2 as their full-time C1 Pro image processor anyway, so it doesn't really matter if you're Mac or PC, imho. Just simply copy your files over to your PC workstation or to your Mac and process as usual with C1 Pro.

The SP2 is just a great viewing platform and focus and composition tool. This is not to say the IQ screens aren't great---they are the best on the market. It's just that the SP2 USB3 tethering option is such a great tool for aging eyes, and it is so easy to use.

ken
    +1

In this scenario, iPad is simply not an option. So SP or SP2 or any windows based tablet with USB 3 interface wins.

I'm not expecting any iPad from Apple w/ USB interface either. In addition, we will be needing more than a run time OS.

Subrata
    Last edited by subrata1965; 21st March 2014 at 13:25.

Post Thanks / Like

Windows 8 is not so bad once you get over the learning hump. I took 'Start 8' off in the end, and the 8.1 free upgrade returns the Windows button to the corner. Right clicking on that (or Win + X keys) gives you plenty of admin control options.

Regardless, this is indeed an excellent solution that swung me over to tethering too. I had little interest in it before, but a real true 100% accurate view of focus, exposure and composition is simply great on location. If you are doing anything more complicated, like tilt-shift, then its truly essential. The past year I have nailed all my images for focus, which on a tech cam is not as easy as it might sound. Modern tech cam lenses are at their optimum wide open or just one stop down, and diffraction comes in fast after 2 stops, so accurate focusing and smart use of the restricted DOF is imperative.

Personally I don't bother with laptop-tripod clamps, and just sit the Surface Pro on my camera bag, which is slung bandoleer style with the bag to the front (its empty by this point, as the camera is on the tripod). You end up with a nice little work platform and the SP tablet directly to hand/eye sitting at your chest.

If you have an IQ1 or 2 series I would highly recommend it. As Ken says, you get a powerful full featured laptop included, and on longer trips can process/correct the files, apply LCCs etc, in the evening, while on the road. Capture One Pro DB edition is of course free, and you can't beat that price.
    Last edited by narikin; 21st March 2014 at 17:10.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Leaving Jackson Hole in the morning stopping off along the way at Valley of Fire where I hope to shoot Fire Wave with this setup. I'll be posting more later on.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just received shipping notice from Amazon that Sandisk is shipping their new 128GB card.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting! Has anyone tried a lighter/smaller/cheaper win8/usb3 tablet like the asus transformer book? ASUS Transformer Book T100 Convertible Notebook Tablet, Specs & More
    A smaller screen, atom processor and only 2gb ram, but maybe sufficient as a single-purpose device for tethered live view?

Post Thanks / Like

What makes the Surface Pro 2 with USB3 unique as an on-location tethering device is that it has a 4th gen Core i5 processor with 8GB RAM, running Windows 8 (nice touch screen capability to mimic the IQ MFDB screen's double-tap to zoom 100%)---it is basically a fully powered laptop in tablet form.

It's not merely tethering for viewing---it's viewing a full resolution 40/60/80 megapixel RAW file, and not a down-sized JPEG with jaggies. You can actually zoom in up to 400% on the Surface Pro! You see and work with your actual full res image file. Even tethered Live View is better, if nothing but for being able to use a larger screen.

C1 Pro 7 (I use the free DB version here) requires Intel Core 2 Duo or better, 4GB RAM minimum, 10GB storage minimum, and a "real" computer o/s such as Win 8. I don't think a "normal" tablet with an atom processor and 2GB of memory will work.

There are very few hybrid tablets with laptop power/features. Imho, the features of the Surface Pro 2 make it uniquely situated as the best portable tethering device for IQ and Credo MFDBs without compromise.

As technology improves, we may see a thinner and lighter Surface Pro option, but until then, I can find space for this 2lb package in my pack.

ken
    Last edited by kdphotography; 22nd March 2014 at 08:05.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. This is not really a tablet like any other - it is a full powered laptop in touchscreen tablet form.

No tiny tablet processor that can't handle anything photographic, but a high powered Intel processor with a full version of Windows installed, that can do everything any laptop/Macbook Pro can do. This means you can put all your screen calibration programs on it, Photoshop, Lightroom, the whole Adobe works if you want. Personally, like Ken, I just run Capture One on it, and screen calibration, but it does double as my laptop (with a rip-off keyboard) when I'm traveling. And as I'd always travel with some kind of laptop/tablet, it may as well be this.

It is not without its bugs and issues, but is a great device for photographers working with MF digital. Much better than a wireless jaggie jpeg to preview your images. I got the first version the week it was released in Feb last year, and have never looked back.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gebseng View Post
    Very interesting! Has anyone tried a lighter/smaller/cheaper win8/usb3 tablet like the asus transformer book? ASUS Transformer Book T100 Convertible Notebook Tablet, Specs & More
    A smaller screen, atom processor and only 2gb ram, but maybe sufficient as a single-purpose device for tethered live view?

Nice tablet, but not powerful enough for driving C1 Pro. You need a full Intel mobile processor, not an atom one.
    The Asus 'Taichi' is more aligned with this, but its heavier, bigger, always attached keyboard, 2 screens (?!) etc. The Surface Pro seems a better option to me, but YMMV.
    Last edited by narikin; 22nd March 2014 at 08:50.

Post Thanks / Like

You need a full Intel mobile processor, not an atom one.
    Do you know if C1 refuses to even start with an Atom processor and 2GB RAM, or will just show sluggish performance?

The ASUS TransformerBook is NOT a WindowsRT tablet with an ARM type processor, but runs regular "Intel x86" Windows 8.

I tried the Surface with an IQ140 in December, but was not too convinced of the Surface Pro V1 (I used a setup with a Leaf Aptus 75S and a tethered 11" Macbook for some years for outdoor stuff, and the Surface seemed no improvement in weight or battery life compared to that).

The Transformer book, apart from costing only 370,-, is only half the weight of the Surface Pro, and claims to have better battery life also. But if C1 really won't start on it...

best,

geb

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if C1 refuses to even start with an Atom processor and 2GB RAM, or will just show sluggish performance?
    geb
    Capture One Pro requires 4Gb RAM minimum

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the Surface with an IQ140 in December, but was not too convinced of the Surface Pro V1 (I used a setup with a Leaf Aptus 75S and a tethered 11" Macbook for some years for outdoor stuff, and the Surface seemed no improvement in weight or battery life compared to that).
    If you're concerned about battery life and performance, the Surface Pro 2 has a dramatically improved battery life over the SP1, something like a 75% improvement as I recall reading, and a subsequent firmware update bumped battery performance another 20%. This, in addition to a faster Intel Core i5 chip and 8GB of RAM for more performance.

ken

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely correct about the battery life. However, I could also buy 2-3x Surface Pro tablets for the price of an equivalent Surface Pro 2
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When tethered, how does the viewing of images work.

I assume each time you fire the shutter the image will be displayed on the surface pro 2. But how does if handle looking back on images shot earlier in the day can you browse? Or do you have to copy all the files to the hard drive of the surface pro and look at them in a C 1 session? I have never worked tethered.

Does this approach work for browsing like Capture Pilot does with a wifi connection i.e. You can pull over a group of images and view them at 100%? I realize that these are not the actual raws but jogs but you still get an idea if the image has good focus.

Thanks
    Paul

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What is the performance difference between the SP and SP2?
    Graham..Are you happy with the SP?

Thanks
    Pramote

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul: the images are transferred to the tablet and not stored on the CF card. That's the big difference between using Capture Pilot and tethered.

Pramote: I don't have a Surface Pro 2 to compare with but obviously it would be faster overall than the SP and it does have better power management and longer life. If I used a Windows machine for more than just tethering then I'd go with the SP2 or Wacom Cintiq Companion.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

paul:
    when tethered, all images are only sent to the capture one session you make current on the Surface pro. they can be only be browsed by browsing the session. they will not show up by trying to view them on the back itself

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, I never had much of an interest in tethering either, until USB3 capability was enabled, which imho is much easier than tethering with Firewire. When I shoot tethered with the SP2, images appear on the screen in about five seconds, and that's with an IQ180. SP1 shouldn't be much slower. The SP2 adds: better battery life, 8GB RAM with 256/512 SSD, and a faster Core i5 chip. It also adds a better back-stand, but not an issue with the Manvex case nor an issue when tethering. Some reviews note the SP2 has better color. The most important thing is that both SP1/SP2 allow you to view your actual RAW image in all its high resolution MFDB glory in C1 Pro 7---and easily make adjustments as necessary for the next image capture. That's the magic.

USB3 makes it easy. Really easy. Plug it in and it just works.

When tethered, my C1 Pro 7 workspace is set up to maximize viewing of the primary image. You are able to view the image with focus mask, zoom in 100% with a simple double tap, use the loupe tool, etc. Make adjustments and shoot again. Or use Live View even. I can rate/star images, etc. This is much much better than Capture Pilot!

I can easily go to View -> "show browser" or type ctrl + b and this shows me all the thumbnails from the session that I can view, make adjustments, etc.

In the MicroSDXC slot, I keep a 64GB sandisk card with a folder of back-up Phase IQ firmware as well as a copy of the Firmware Updater software. There is an available Sandisk 128GB MicroSDXC card as well---great for back-up storage, just in case. This micro card slot acts as another hard drive (storage) albeit much slower than the SSD. If ever needed in the field, you can move folders/files to the micro sdxc for storage to free up space on the main SSD.

ken
    Last edited by kdphotography; 23rd March 2014 at 21:17.

Post Thanks / Like

There is not that much difference between the SP1 and SP2, there was only 7 months between them, after all. It's really just a processor update, which brings better battery life (same battery) and a very modest performance bump. In the real world I think you'll only notice the battery life benefits. As Ken says, they did also gave you the option to order more storage inside it: SP1 was just 64 and 128gb, the SP2 comes with 256 and 512 options (as well as the first two) and those bigger capacity options come with extra RAM - 8Gb instead of 4gb. My 128Gb SP1 with 4gb RAM works great, and I'm not upgrading till SP3 comes out, probably in the Fall.

If you really are someone who goes off into the wild without power for multiple days and need to work tethered sometimes, then the extra battery life is worth it. If not, then I'd question the $1000 extra to get SP2 over SP1, as everything else is the exact same. I have never run out of battery power in a year of use with SP1 in the city, though it has a got quite low on two occasions.

Those differences aside it seems Microsoft have a sleeper hit on their hands as Surface Pro (not the regular 'Surface') - was on back order for a long time, and impossible to find over Christmas. Everyone wants the latest and greatest, so you can pick up the first version - like a 128Gb SP1 on eBay for $450 or so, in mint/ new condition, and for that money, its definitely worth it. Remember its a fully functioning touchscreen laptop-tablet too, so you can watch Netflix, Hulu, surf the full internet with Flash, and do image processing on it if you want.

That said, this is MF digital, and everyone here seems to buy the best, latest and most expensive of everything, so who needs to save $1000? I'll probably be kicked out for suggesting such heresy.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

quick question: when i first started using the SP2 (no keyboard attached), a virtua touchscreenl screen keypad would show up when a data input was required. then i tried the real keyboard attachment, works great. when i then go without the real keyboard, however, i am not getting the virtual keypad any more???

Post Thanks / Like

You have to press the keyboard logo in the bottom right corner of the taskbar to activate it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ahh, morning moron move

thx

Post Thanks / Like

That said, this is MF digital, and everyone here seems to buy the best, latest and most expensive of everything, so who needs to save $1000? I'll probably be kicked out for suggesting such heresy.

I actually recommend to buy the Surface Pro without accessories and use it first. This way it forces you to buy only what you really need/want to use the Surface Pro. For example, the Type 2 keyboard isn't needed at all for tethering, but it does make using the Surface Pro easier for other tasks.

I think the biggest performance boost for getting the SP2 will be the 8GB RAM option. I've read some battery reviews where SP users are successfully using a Vagabond Lithium mini to re-charge their SPs. Chances are a fully charged SP1 battery may outlast the number of Phase MFDB batteries you're carrying in your pack.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken:

First thanks for providing both your blog post and the extra details here.

As a non tethered user since 2008, I do have one other question.

Each time you move location during a days shoot, everything is powered off I assume, so when you power back up, reattach etc. does Capture One start a new session and move the images from the next location to a separate folder or does it just keep the same location? In one day I probably have 16 to 20 different locations I will try for so the idea of up to 20 sessions is a bit hard to get my head around.

I personally don't like the idea of the images being all moved to the Surface pro, I realize you can back them up to to multiple locations, just old fashion in that I like having them on a card. I take it there is no firmware setting to have the images stay on the card and be on the surface pro during a tethered shoot?

Last, during the day, if you don't always attach, you will have some images on the surface pro, others only on the card in the back, does that pose a problem to you?

Sorry for all the questions, just a bit of a different workflow for me.

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Paul,

It looks like you and me have had the same issues (well, with regard to tethering ), and some for me going back into tethering with firewire.

The session remains the same. The last named session remains the one that C1Pro will open up into, and tether into, unless you tell C1Pro that you are starting a "New Session" and name a new folder. So for me, I might name the session the location, e.g., "Carmel March 2014." Only one session---only one folder to copy/move at the end of the day.

At the end of the day, I simply transfer the RAW files by USB3 flash thumbdrive to my workstation. If there are RAW files on the CF card in my IQ180, I simply place those RAW files into the same named capture folder on my workstation. Process as usual.

It used to bother me that the MFDB would not also store RAW captured files on the CF card. My bet is a firmware update could allow for both saving to the CF and to the tethered device, but probably at a loss of performance/speed. I don't worry over it anymore. If you are really concerned, I guess you could designate that your session also back up to the micro SDXC card slot.

I don't delete files off of the SP2 until I know they are safely transferred to my workstation and backed up there.

USB3 really makes things easy, and changes to your workflow probably won't be difficult. The changes are smaller than you think.