The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Leaf shutters and Lightmeters...

aztwang

I was shooting a group, static team photo of soccer players yesterday in front of a goal. I was using my PhaseOne DF+ and IQ250 with a Schneider 55mmLS lens. The ambient light was a brighter than I wanted so I decided to kill the ambient a bit with the use of leaf shutter lens. Camera settings were ISO 100, F10 @ 1/500th shutter. We checked the lighting with a Sekonic 478DR. The meter called for F14 across the entire 24 feet BUT according to my eye and histogram it was perfect @ F10. My question is: Can light meter readings be off considerably when using a leaf shutter lens in a high speed sync application.? My Sekonic is always spot on when using it in a non high speed sync application.

Ciao

Don

Last edited:

heyyrobert

I personally haven't had an issue at slower speeds under 1/640th I'd say (645DF, IQ140, Profoto D1 & B1's, same meter).

Now, at 1/800 and above, I've noticed that the metered strobe readings are definitely about 1/3-2/3 a stop overexposed from what I actually get on screen. Ambient's always consistent from the meter through my LS lenses.

I'd assume it's because on these lights, I don't have a short enough flash duration or a quick enough transmitter speed (Profoto AIR) to trigger them in perfect sync. BUT its close enough and I haven't had any issues with color or accuracy aside from the slight exposure difference.

TL;DR Yes, but at faster shutter speeds with normal-ish strobes.

stngoldberg

I was shooting a group of soccer players yesterday in front of a goal. I was using my PhaseOne DF+ and IQ250 with a Schneider 55mmLS lens. The ambient light was a brighter than I wanted so I decided to kill the ambient a bit with the use of leaf shutter lens. Camera settings were ISO 100, F10 @ 1/500th shutter. We checked the lighting with a Sekonic 478DR. The meter called for F14 across the entire 24 feet BUT according to my eye and histogram it was perfect @ F10. My question is: Can light meter readings be off considerably when using a leaf shutter lens in a high speed sync application.? My Sekonic is always spot on when using it in a non high speed sync application.

Ciao

Don
I have shot a lot of soccer recently, but usually with shutter speeds well in excess of 1/500th sec...usually in excess of 1/2000th sec
Stanley

kdphotography

I'd place bets that your light meter is more accurate than your eye and histogram. The histogram basically just tells you that you have "information" recorded within certain parameters but otherwise won't tell you what "f/stop" or reading at a particular shutter speed as a light meter can. It makes a difference being able to meter for the bright background or metering for the players in front of the goal, and then balancing your strobes. I don't think a histogram can distinguish as well as you pointing the light meter between background and foreground subject. So which won out once you uploaded them into C1Pro?

(and by "group" I'm thinking group photo with studio strobes and not action shot where strobe use is often not permitted)

aztwang

I'd place bets that your light meter is more accurate than your eye and histogram. The histogram basically just tells you that you have "information" recorded within certain parameters but otherwise won't tell you what "f/stop" or reading at a particular shutter speed as a light meter can. It makes a difference being able to meter for the bright background or metering for the players in front of the goal, and then balancing your strobes. I don't think a histogram can distinguish as well as you pointing the light meter between background and foreground subject. So which won out once you uploaded them into C1Pro?

(and by "group" I'm thinking group photo with studio strobes and not action shot where strobe use is often not permitted)
Hey Ken,

Yes they were static team photos. I actually ended up @ ISO200 and F11 and it ended up a bit to the right but I always tend to expose to the right a tad. ISO 100 @ F14 would not have been good. I am going to retest tomorrow as I have a father/sons portrait session and take supporting samples and see what I get.

Don