Site Sponsors

Thread: Best hasselblad v digital back for around 2000€?

Post Thanks / Like

Best hasselblad v digital back for around 2000€?

Hey there,
    I would like to enter in the digital medium format and would like to know your opinions about 2nd hands digital backs for hasselblad v series for a 2000€ budget. Is there anything good at that price? Is there really significant improvements over, let's say, portra 160 when used for portraits, landscape, studio...
    Thanks for your help and time!
    Vincent

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best hasselblad v digital back for around 2000€?

There is a CFv (16 MP) listed here for 1400 pounds:

http://www.procentre.co.uk/sales-sec...at-digital.php

Note that it's a smaller chip so all your lenses will get longer...

Post Thanks / Like

It can be quite hard to find backs for €2000 as people tend to keep them on the shelf if there's no longer much value left in them.

The 37x37mm CFV-16 comes into mind, but if you just find someone selling you could get a 4:3 22 megapixel 39x37mm sensor (same Kodak sensor different size) like a Hasseblad CF-22 for that price. Otherwise you could look into Phase One backs with V-mounts, like the P25 and P25+, the latter is usually more expensive though.

If there's a significant improvement over Portra 160 is a matter of taste, I can't answer that.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt you'll get anything that is significantly better than Portra for that price. You're not going to beat it in terms of resolution or dynamic range, possibly only in convenience. If all you want is better quality I would suggest investing in a better scanner/scan service.

I don't know how strict your budget is, but don't forget to factor in extra costs like cables and possibly software. Plus, make sure you research whether the back you're looking to buy still can get serviced etc. (if your battery dies, does that mean the end?) If not, the investment becomes more of a gamble obviously.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be analog Hassel fans.
    But I fall in love with Alpa and my P1 P25+.
    I've been using IQ2 back for a few years, until recently, I buy back a P25+ from a good friend on this forum.
    Now I'm looking for a good Hassel V body.
    Is it better than Portra? I love Portra, digital is digital, it can't render like analog but it does give you flexibility to tune picture in anyway you want in LR.
    My humble experience.
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The best Hasselblad back in this case might be a Pentax... All your Hasselblad lenses will fit on a Pentax 645D/Z with a simple adapter, and they perform just as well as the backs do. Better actually in many ways. Focus confirmation is an understated gem actually. As someone who spent a few days with the CFV50c back, I can tell you that the charm wears off once you start realizing how hard it is to focus on those screens. I also love that you don't have to see crop lines. The view in the finder is your whole image, much easier to compose handheld IMO, and shoot verticals. If you can push your budget a 645Z will give you live view shooting, which is pretty amazing on a tripod.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone ! Thanks a lot for all your answers. It's quite clear now in my mind... And I just have to take a decision ! Maybe I could indeed try to find a better scanner than my well worn V700.

Vincent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vincentbihler View Post
    Hello everyone ! Thanks a lot for all your answers. It's quite clear now in my mind... And I just have to take a decision ! Maybe I could indeed try to find a better scanner than my well worn V700.

Vincent
    i still have my Aptus 22 V, they are selling for about 2500$ now

For best performance, you need to use it at 25 iso.

When i bought it, i have stopped using film and scanners... but it depends on your shooting style, and type of print as well !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have you tried a digital back on your Hasselblad? If not, I would recommend it before you buy. A few years ago I bought a P30 for my 500C/M and I had a horrible time focusing it. Some times the images would be sharp but just as often they were not. I missed too many shots and after doing everything I could think of to insure good focus, I finally gave up sold all my V cameras and lenses and bought into the H system. More than your budget but Hasselblad is having a sale on their CPO camera. http://hasselbladbron.com/cpo.pdf

Mr.Gale

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

not my experience; will add a few shots with various backs on 200 series V cameras.
    mostly handheld:
    60MM LENS, 205FCC, prism finder, CFV50c back:

same rig:

and the CFV16: 205TCC; probably the 80mm lens, tripod:

and the 39mpx blad back, don't remember the model number,with the 40mm IF, 205TCC:

and:
    Last edited by jlm; 26th May 2016 at 13:41.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Focusing depends on a lot of stuff.

Personally, I use a PM-5 viewfinder with a Zeiss 3X monocular:

This is what different options resolve visually (red: PM5, bluu: Hartblei magnifying viewfinde, yellow: PM5 + Zeiss 3X)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 20.51.11.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	118829

All resolve far below sensor resolution, so focusing is based image contrast and not pure resolution.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gale View Post
    Have you tried a digital back on your Hasselblad? If not, I would recommend it before you buy. A few years ago I bought a P30 for my 500C/M and I had a horrible time focusing it. Some times the images would be sharp but just as often they were not. I missed too many shots and after doing everything I could think of to insure good focus, I finally gave up sold all my V cameras and lenses and bought into the H system. More than your budget but Hasselblad is having a sale on their CPO camera. http://hasselbladbron.com/cpo.pdf

Mr.Gale

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree, Hasselblad would not be selling backs if no one (except me) couldn't focus using them. The only reason I said anything is MY experience using a P30 on a 500 C/M was too unpredictable and I think it would be wise for the OP to try a back on HIS camera to make sure it will work for him.

Mr.Gale

This is the set-up I was using on my camera for focus:

Post Thanks / Like

Manual focusing is a personal thing, some can do it, some have a harder time. I manually focus my Linhof Techno, but I really need that 20x jewelry loupe I'm using which is higher magnification than any of those listed above. I've tried with a 10x and it's hit and miss for me, while there are others that can do it. So it's how good eyes you have, practice of course, and talent for that specific task. I think that just like not everyone can be a watchmaker, not everyone can focus precisely with low magnification loupes on a ground glass.

And not the least -- expectations of the exactness of the result. When everyone was focusing manually and shot film, noone was pixel-peeping eye lashes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Check the image below, pretty obviously the image on the left is much sharper:

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 08.12.21.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	118868

It could be that a better lens was used, or possibly the lens on the left was focused better? As it happens, neither was the case.

The right image was the one focused correctly, but intended focus was in a different spot:

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 08.14.53.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	118869

I am somewhat surprised I missed focus on the A7rII, as I was using 12X magnified live view. The building was something like 15-20m from the tripod and focal length was 45 mm at f/8 on the Sony A7rII. The Hasselblad image was Distagon 60/3.5 at f/11 (I think). In this case, focus on the Hasselblad was done using the split image on the window frames, with a total of 9X magnification.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Manual focusing is a personal thing, some can do it, some have a harder time. I manually focus my Linhof Techno, but I really need that 20x jewelry loupe I'm using which is higher magnification than any of those listed above. I've tried with a 10x and it's hit and miss for me, while there are others that can do it. So it's how good eyes you have, practice of course, and talent for that specific task. I think that just like not everyone can be a watchmaker, not everyone can focus precisely with low magnification loupes on a ground glass.

And not the least -- expectations of the exactness of the result. When everyone was focusing manually and shot film, noone was pixel-peeping eye lashes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Check the image below, pretty obviously the image on the left is much sharper:

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 08.12.21.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	118868

It could be that a better lens was used, or possibly the lens on the left was focused better? As it happens, neither was the case.

The right image was the one focused correctly, but intended focus was in a different spot:

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 08.14.53.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	118869

I am somewhat surprised I missed focus on the A7rII, as I was using 12X magnified live view. The building was something like 15-20m from the tripod and focal length was 45 mm at f/8 on the Sony A7rII. The Hasselblad image was Distagon 60/3.5 at f/11 (I think). In this case, focus on the Hasselblad was done using the split image on the window frames, with a total of 9X magnification, prism finder magnifies 3X and a Zeiss 3X monocular was used for additional 3x magnification.

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Manual focussing in a viewfinder requires good hand-eye coordination. The method is the following:
    -focus approximately
    -then turn the focus ring back and forth until you have a feeling of similar defocus on either sides
    -move the ring in the middle.

Without a strong loupe, one cannot estimate best focus, but one can estimate if defocus is the same when turning the ring back and forth. It is a dynamic process.

The cameras which focus by contrast focus only do it exactly in the same way. On the slow ones, one can actually see the back and forth wobbling.

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand there is no way of shimming with digital backs for the old V bodies.

So, maybe, the problems, some users have with focusing, have to do with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

On the V-lenses there is very little barrel rotation around optimal focus, certainly less than one mm.

Many lenses don't pop in and out of focus.

Adding to that there may be focus shift.

What I see is that the split image is dead accurate, if used with a smooth, high contrast edge. Flagpoles and lamp posts are my favourites, for focusing, that is.

Tree trunks are much more difficult to focus.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    Manual focussing in a viewfinder requires good hand-eye coordination. The method is the following:
    -focus approximately
    -then turn the focus ring back and forth until you have a feeling of similar defocus on either sides
    -move the ring in the middle.

Without a strong loupe, one cannot estimate best focus, but one can estimate if defocus is the same when turning the ring back and forth. It is a dynamic process.

The cameras which focus by contrast focus only do it exactly in the same way. On the slow ones, one can actually see the back and forth wobbling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siddhaarta View Post
    As I understand there is no way of shimming with digital backs for the old V bodies.

So, maybe, the problems, some users have with focusing, have to do with that?
    You can shim the focussing screen.

Best way is too test focussing on a ruler running away from camera at 45degrees to see if something is out of whack.