The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

iiiNelson

Received this yesterday regarding my query about previewing the X1D in North Carolina:

This would suggest that production units (and shipping to customers?) will start in September, not in August as I had hoped. Oh well, the wait continues.

Joe
Thanks for the update. Hopefully they won't choose the weekend that I'm in Mexico...

Nick-T

Demo units will be out by the end of the month. The Swedes have mostly been on holiday so they are getting back into it.

I have been talking to the product manager about a wired cable release and will keep you informed here.

Since the shutter is in the lens does that mean that future Hasselblad lenses for the X1D could allow for faster shutter speeds than 1/2000th of a second?

jerome_m

Since the shutter is in the lens does that mean that future Hasselblad lenses for the X1D could allow for faster shutter speeds than 1/2000th of a second?
In theory: yes. We can prove that: the old H1 cameras can use faster shutter speed with recent lenses (from 1/800s to 1/1000s, which is not much but is -strictly speaking- faster).

In practice, this is unlikely to happen. Central shutters are limited mechanically to about 1/1000s on MF lenses and the present 1/2000s already uses an electronic trick in-camera. Development on central shutters is also limited, very few companies are manufacturing and improving them (which also explains that Hasselblad did the job themselves).

In short: an educated guess is that future lenses will top at 1/2000s. Which is actually plenty for this kind of camera.

I found a post on dpreview where some claimed that the EVF on the D1X would not show you the exposure and WB. To me that sounds a bit weird as that is one of the big advantages of an EVF, but I have been unable to find any information on this.

Anyone here knows anything about this?
I reached out to Hasselblad and they confirmed live Exposure preview in the EVF would be available in a future firmware update.

I also asked them about how to move the focus point while you are in the EVF. If you press a button a grid with the points will be appeared and the focus point can be selected using the control wheels.

Not as a good as a joystick, but will have to do.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
B and H has moved ship date to September 15.

So my Leica Q will be with me on Isle of Skye next month.

At least I will have that distraction while we wait.

Bob

B and H has moved ship date to September 15.
I bet the Swedes are working hard on the firmware. Seems like it was far from finished when they were demoing the X1D. If they had been ready for an August 30th launch I think we would have seen a proper review by Ming Thein and other Hasselblad ambassadors by now.

Here in the UK a lot of dealers will start demoing the X1D in the second week of September with Hasselblad representatives, which also seems rather late for a August 30th Launch.

Hopefully it will be worth the wait. I have yet to pre-order even though the X1D seems to have all the features I want, but it would be nice to see some more in-depth review of its performance and of the new lenses before I spend a small fortune. Then again I might just do it so I can actually post a picture in the Having fun with MF thread instead of just trolling your forum with my poor APS-C camera :)

tcdeveau

I bet the Swedes are working hard on the firmware. Seems like it was far from finished when they were demoing the X1D. If they had been ready for an August 30th launch I think we would have seen a proper review by Ming Thein and other Hasselblad ambassadors by now.

Here in the UK a lot of dealers will start demoing the X1D in the second week of September with Hasselblad representatives, which also seems rather late for a August 30th Launch.

Hopefully it will be worth the wait. I have yet to pre-order even though the X1D seems to have all the features I want, but it would be nice to see some more in-depth review of its performance and of the new lenses before I spend a small fortune. Then again I might just do it so I can actually post a picture in the Having fun with MF thread instead of just trolling your forum with my poor APS-C camera :)
Can confirm that the firmware had some polishing that needed to be done when I tested the camera at the preview I attended Aug. 9th. Hopefully the Sept. 15th date is for a second allotment and some cameras will ship out tomorrow, although from what I saw on the 9th, I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back sadly. I'd rather them push the date back then ship a camera with half-cooked firmware personally. I think it will be worth the wait once they get the firmware kinks worked out (the preview camera I tried froze a couple times, for example) and get the features in that they've promised (the AF points and touch-AF weren't on the camera I tried).

I'm hoping to order mine sometime in the next couple weeks. I was going to wait until Photokina but if there's stock available before then (which doesn't look terribly likely) that could change. I'm shooting a friends wedding pro-bono Sept 18th and it would be fun to have one alongside whatever primary camera I'm shooting with...definitely not holding my breath though.

While we wait for the X1D to arrived maybe someone could explain to me how you calculate the equivalent f-stop between cameras with differently sized sensors? :)

I know some are not super happy with the slow lenses for the X1D, but the sensor is almost four times as large as what I'm used to on my Fujis so I am curious how big the difference really is when it comes to lens speed.

While we wait for the X1D to arrived maybe someone could explain to me how you calculate the equivalent f-stop between cameras with differently sized sensors? :)

I know some are not super happy with the slow lenses for the X1D, but the sensor is almost four times as large as what I'm used to on my Fujis so I am curious how big the difference really is when it comes to lens speed.

An f/2.8 lens would be an f/2.8 lens in front of any-size sensor, however one that is four times larger will also collect about four times as much light, so in terms of gathering power you're looking at a two-stop advantage. In other words, assuming identical sensor tech and equalized to a given size, it would have the effect of an f/1.4 lens on a Fuji. (But in noise performance)

Depth of field is a more difficult metric to talk about because the depth characteristics of larger formats are different; you get a narrower DoF at any given aperture, but the transition between what's in focus and what's not is more gradual. Imagine if you will taking a four-shot 2x2 panoramic with every exposure, and that's about the effect you'll get.

A more minor effect is that specific focal lengths tend to adhere to certain optical formulas, for instance a 50mm can be double-gauss whether it's used as a portrait lens on APS-C or a wide-angle on 645, so whatever characteristics these formulas have are carried over to different fields of view on different formats. I'm not to savvy on the specifics of this aspect.

Last edited:

DrakeJ

Same F-stop lets in the same amount of light, so the speed is the same as equivalent f-stop on any other sensor. But perhaps your question is related to how narrow the depth of field is?

Godfrey

Forget the silliness about "four times the sensor, two stops more light" ... that's wrong. An f/2.8 lens on either camera allows the same amount of light light energy per unit time to pass through: there's no difference in actual light gathering power. If this were not the case, you could not use the same exposure meter for a medium format camera as you would for a 35mm camera; the f/number normalizes the lens opening to ensure that f/2.8 on any lens gives the same exposure as on any other, regardless of format.

The difference is in the evaluation of Field of View and Depth of Field. The smaller format camera will use a shorter focal length lens to achieve the same Field of View, which means that a larger lens opening generates more Depth of Field because the physical size of the lens opening for a given f/number is larger.

Example: The Fuji sensor is 16x24mm, so a normal lens on the Fuji is approximately 35mm focal length. The Hasselblad X1D sensor is 33x44mm, its normal lens on the X1D is 68mm focal length for the same FoV (approximately 44 degrees across the diagonal, discounting format proportion differences). So the Fuji camera has a crop factor of ~1.9x relative to the X1D. This is very similar to the relationship between FourThirds format and 35mm FF format (crop factor ~2x based on diagonal measure), so you would expect that a given f/number on the Fuji gains DoF relative to the X1D similarly to the way a given f/number on an Olympus E-M1 gains DoF relative to a 35mm FF format camera.

Running the numbers through a DoF calculator, the DoF produced by the Fuji 35mm at f/2.8 is achieved by a hypothetical X1D 68mm lens at f/5.6, which is virtually the same difference seen by considering an Olympus E-M1 25mm lens (its normal) against a Leica M-P 50mm lens (its normal).

So the difference in X1D Field of View compared to your Fuji camera is about a crop factor of 1.9x and the difference in DoF for the same field of view lens is about 2 stops. This means the X1D 45mm f/3.5 lens behaves similarly to a 23mm lens on the Fuji with respect to field of view and exposure, and at f/5.6 it produces DoF similar to what that 23mm lens on the Fuji would at f/2.8.

You can run the numbers yourself for the 90mm lens ... ;-)

G

BTW: This difference in depth of field is why 35mm cameras were touted as such an advantage over medium format cameras for hand-held work with active subjects. Because of the smaller format and consequent DoF gain, you could get more DoF with shorter exposure times which, back in the day, was a big deal when film speeds averaged ISO 25 for normal film and ISO 160 for grainy, high-speed film. The problem with larger formats then was seen as too little DoF or too long an exposure time, which 35mm cameras solved nicely with a 2-stop-plus gain in speed due to the format size change with its shorter lenses.

Godfrey

Looks like it would be the equivalent of a 47mm1.6F XF lens :)
Right on.

Now you can understand why having 17mm f/0.95 and 42.5mm f/0.95 lenses is so important for FourThirds format cameras ... It's how you can get Depth of Field control similar to fast 35 and 90 mm lenses on a 35mm FF camera. :)

G