The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is the X1D ????

hcubell

Thats correct. The demo unit I tested was firmware 1.12. I believe your assessment is correct regarding firmware revisions both prior to release and also during the initial first year phase of the camera.

I do wish they would announce what each revision addresses so that users can provide feedback for those issues that are still remain a concern.

Dave (D&A)
Here is what Ming said when I asked what firmware he was using:
"At the time we made the movie – 1.4.something. I’m now on 1.13b and it’s a completely different animal, in a good way. Much more responsive and yes, you can move the focus point (amongst other things). I believe there are still further things which will be fixed before shipping."

I am sure they will provide revision information for new firmware after the camera starts shipping.

MomentsForZen

Effusive write-up of the studio shoot with an X1D. I can't wait to experience this feeling for myself! And not just for a one-off test, but over an over with my own X1D. Dreams are free, Hasselblads are not :-(

One thing that puzzled me in the article, however, was the statement that Photoshop doesn't yet support the RAW files from the X1D. I didn't that there wasn't anything special or new in the X1D RAW 3FR files. And Adobe supports 3FR files.

Any thoughts / knowledge of relevance to this matter?

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

pflower

The 3FR files are compressed. If you read the article he says that once they are converted to the uncompressed 3fff files in Phocus then those are supported by Adobe. I had a demo of the H6D-50c when it was first announced earlier this summer and the 3FR files were already supported in Lightroom. So I doubt that this is likely to be an issue. I have often wondered (but been unable to find any information on the subject) exactly what, if any, difference there is between 3fff and 3FR files. With my CFV-50 there is a difference of about 4-5 MB in size and I can't discern in Lightroom any significant difference in quality or colour between them.

Effusive write-up of the studio shoot with an X1D. I can't wait to experience this feeling for myself! And not just for a one-off test, but over an over with my own X1D. Dreams are free, Hasselblads are not :-(

One thing that puzzled me in the article, however, was the statement that Photoshop doesn't yet support the RAW files from the X1D. I didn't that there wasn't anything special or new in the X1D RAW 3FR files. And Adobe supports 3FR files.

Any thoughts / knowledge of relevance to this matter?

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

hcubell

Here is what Ming said when I asked what firmware he was using:
"At the time we made the movie – 1.4.something. I’m now on 1.13b and it’s a completely different animal, in a good way. Much more responsive and yes, you can move the focus point (amongst other things). I believe there are still further things which will be fixed before shipping."

I am sure they will provide revision information for new firmware after the camera starts shipping.
Ming is incredibly responsive and helpful with questions about the X1D. I followed up with him about the performance of the EVF under the most recent firmware and here was his response:
"EVF resolution obviously can’t be changed, but it’s less laggy and those flickering exposure issues are gone. Doesn’t show WYSIWYG exposure yet but it’s been noted already (along with a request for zebras etc.) I don’t notice it being worse than the 7R2 in use."

D&A

Ming is incredibly responsive and helpful with questions about the X1D. I followed up with him about the performance of the EVF under the most recent firmware and here was his response:
"EVF resolution obviously can’t be changed, but it’s less laggy and those flickering exposure issues are gone. Doesn’t show WYSIWYG exposure yet but it’s been noted already (along with a request for zebras etc.) I don’t notice it being worse than the 7R2 in use."
The X1D EVF being laggy, was the 2nd issue about the camera I immediately noticed upon first using it. So much so, that it was somewhat of a far cry from cameras such as the Sony 7R2 etc. 1st issue was the startup time of almost 8 seconds. Has anyone asked Ming about this?

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

hcubell

The X1D EVF being laggy, was the 2nd thing issue about the camera I immediately noticed upon first using it. So much so, that it was somewhat of a far cry from cameras such as the Sony 7R2 etc. 1st issue was the startup time of almost 8 seconds. Has anyone asked Ming about this?

Dave (D&A)
I don't think so. The start up time was also an issue with the Sony A7R when it first came out. At some point, Sony issued a firmware upgrade that reduced the start up time. I never checked to see by how much. With the A7RII, it's not as fast as a Nikon D800, but I personally don't find it much of an issue.

D&A

Howard, I agree with you. Start up time has never been much of an issue with me either. These beasts aren't like Canon and Nikon DSLRs, and I just turn the camera on before a shoot and turn it off afterwards. It may be more of an issue for those who are in the habit of turning their cameras off after short bursts. The a7RII is slow, but so am I.

Joe
Just curious, currently what is the approx.. start-up time with the a7RII? With the demo X1D, I timed it at 8 seconds. Hard to believe the Sony and other cameras are this long?

Dave (D&A)

jrp

Startup times are not normally an issue until you miss the one and only shot of the Loch Ness monster :scry:

D&A

My Sony a7RII takes 1.5-2.0 sec. approx. to start up (i.e., to get to the point where I can take a shot). The initial a7 and a7R took longer. Having shot with the H4D, Phase One DF and Leica S, start-up time has never been an issue with me. Honestly, I don't shoot subjects where start-up time makes a difference. And I've learned to be patient. Not patient enough to shoot with a tech cam (I tried that), but patient enough to wait 8 seconds.

You were using a demo camera. When production cameras are in the hands of reviewers and other photographers in a week or two, we'll know more.

Right now, after waiting since June 23, 8 seconds is trivial. :ROTFL:

Joe
One thing about me Joe is I've never had much patience. Just ask my mom..LOL

I do realize I used a demo unit and assumed and hoped start up times would be a lot less in production units. We'll all find out soon enough.

Dave (D&A)

peterv

About startup time: I saw in the video that Kevin Raber did with a Hasselblad technician that startup time is indeed quite long, but that you can leave the camera in sleep mode all-day long without battery problems and that from sleep mode it starts up real quick.

D&A

Or Waldo. :ROTFL:
Joe, this may be one of the only times in my life that I beat you to the punch. 4 weeks at the beginning of this thread I wrote...>>>"This waiting for newly released cameras reminds me of the game "Where's Waldo?"<<<

Do I win some sort of prize? :)

Dave (D&A)

ddanois

Confirmed with B&H today the "processing" label is generic to any open order. I also asked if the Dec 1 date on the website was a guess or if Hasselblad gave this as the arrival date....

Answer..."It's an estimate based on suggestions from the manufacturer."

The B&H rep asked me if I would like to have their manufacturer relations dept. reach out to Hasselblad for a more accurate estimate...I said, YES, PLEASE!

Here's the reply..."We are sorry to inform you that the HASSELBLAD X1D-50c MIRRORLESS CAMERA BODY is on back order by the manufacturer with no estimated time of delivery. As soon as we receive it from the manufacturer, we will promptly ship it to you and you will receive an email with a tracking number at that time. We apologize for this delay and for any inconvenience."

So the story continues...

Hmm mine shows processing as well. Time to unload the 645z

PedroL

Confirmed with B&H today the "processing" label is generic to any open order. I also asked if the Dec 1 date on the website was a guess or if Hasselblad gave this as the arrival date....

Answer..."It's an estimate based on suggestions from the manufacturer."

The B&H rep asked me if I would like to have their manufacturer relations dept. reach out to Hasselblad for a more accurate estimate...I said, YES, PLEASE!

Here's the reply..."We are sorry to inform you that the HASSELBLAD X1D-50c MIRRORLESS CAMERA BODY is on back order by the manufacturer with no estimated time of delivery. As soon as we receive it from the manufacturer, we will promptly ship it to you and you will receive an email with a tracking number at that time. We apologize for this delay and for any inconvenience."

So the story continues...
I am shooting with my demo unit for 4 weeks now and let me assure everyone it is well worth waiting for. Images are sharp, both available lenses working perfect. There was not a single instance of camera asking to be restarted or any error massage. I had number of attendees at our workshop using it and the cameras got 5 star rating. Sit back, get a glass of wine and wait for UPS notification on delivery of your X1D. They are on the way !!!
Have a great Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

Paratom

Since I am comitted to the Leica S system and satisfied the x1d is not an option for me. BUT: If this is the camera you are interested in - does it make any difference if it comes 4 weeks earlier or later ?
I would certainly wait, try to be patient, try to get a regular unit for test once its ready and then buy if I like.

IMO its much better to wait a little longer and let Hassy finalize their product.

hcubell

I am shooting with my demo unit for 4 weeks now and let me assure everyone it is well worth waiting for. Images are sharp, both available lenses working perfect. There was not a single instance of camera asking to be restarted or any error massage. I had number of attendees at our workshop using it and the cameras got 5 star rating. Sit back, get a glass of wine and wait for UPS notification on delivery of your X1D.
Have a great Thanksgiving.
I am looking forward to hearing detailed feedback---good and bad--- about the X1D from third party reviewers who are not Hasselblad dealers. I am not questioning your integrity, just your objectivity. I know I couldn't be objective if I were a dealer.

PedroL

I am looking forward to hearing detailed feedback---good and bad--- about the X1D from third party reviewers who are not Hasselblad dealers. I am not questioning your integrity, just your objectivity. I know I couldn't be objective if I were a dealer.
Thanks for your comments. Quite justified....
I am a Hasselblad person from A to Z, for last 45 years and I do not believe that there is another camera maker I would prefer to represent. However, I am photographer for last 62 years, trained as mechanical engineer with machinery technology specialty. I can appreciate nice piece of equipment. The Hasselblad is the only camera I represent and shoot. Using it with Roundshot VR drive gives a amazing panoramas.
I had send about 100 3Fr files to a member of the forum, hopefully you get some feedback. As well as attendees on our photo workshop 3 weeks ago in Smokies tried X1D and those who already ordered the camera can not wait to get it.