The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ3 100 and a small MacBook

vjbelle

Two trips ago I swore I would never carry around any kind of computer weighing more than three pounds. I purchased a Surface Pro 4 for my wife and set it up for two users and really kind of liked it although it was a little clunky in the GUI department - issues that probably will be improved with software updates. I have a MacBook Pro, circa 2012, which is plenty powerful for my travel needs but weighs a ton after factoring in a hard shell, power supply, cords, and carrying case. I was in the Apple Store a while ago and started to take a look at a really small MacBook. The only function I really needed a travel computer for is for making sure my files were in focus. I walked out with one and have to say I couldn’t be happier. I purchased the i5 version which actually has been tested to be faster than the i7 processor for multi core applications because the i7 throttles back to a slower rate than the i5 due to heat. I have C1 and full blown PS on this little computer and they all run perfectly - no hiccups. I’m working with large 3100 files and was more than surprised that I could process from C1 fairly quickly and could work with PS well beyond my expectations. I’m not saying that the MacBook is a speed demon - its not. But….. its fast enough for travel - at least for me. As an example it can process a full blown 3100 file in less than 20 seconds. That may seem slow to some of you but my back doesn’t ache, I’ve got a glass of Cab within easy reach and lots of time on my hands. A lot of my images are two files shifted left and right and then merged with PS. I can merge two full blown 3100 Phase files in PS in about a minute. Again….. I got lots of time and this was something I never expected this little computer to tackle. The screen color is horrible out of the box but its easily calibrated with Xrite software and an I1 Display pro. At that point its really pretty accurate. Overall its just an amazing little device. I would not consider one of the new MacBook Pro’s because I don’t need that power when traveling and even at 4 pounds its way too heavy and very expensive for what I would get. At only 8gb of memory I thought I would run into problems but never did. I easily worked with files over 1 GB. Using a paint brush on a layer in a large file was fast without any lag unless the brush size was monstrous - really monstrous. So I ended up being able to see what a finished file would look like - just amazing to me! I don’t want to come across as an Apple fan boy because I’m not. I would never consider one of the Desktop Macs - over priced, underpowered and not easily upgraded, if at all - I say this from experience. I build PC’s for desktop use and have been doing this for over 20 years. But for portable use there are Mac solutions that make sense to me. If you are considering a Surface then you owe it to yourself to check out the little MacBook.

Victor

jng

Victor,

Thanks for the info. Are you using the previous generation Macbook Air or its replacement (now just called "Macbook")? Since I'm PC-illiterate and too old of a dog to learn new tricks, I've been thinking about picking up a new Macbook for tethering my IQ160 in the field. I'm wondering how stable the connection is with the newer USB-C port (the Thunderbolt connections are less than 100% in my experience). I'd also be interested in finding a light and compact solution for supporting the computer on the tripod, like Ken Doo does for the Surface Pro, although the new Macbook is so light I suppose I could just set it down on top of my camera pack and hold it with one hand while using it.

- John

vjbelle

John.... I have the new MacBook with the USB-C port. I have tested tethering with my IQ3100 and it works like a charm although for field use I much prefer to use a loupe on the LCD screen for focus. Your needs are different since you are on a CCD back. Apple supplies an adaptor which you will need for the USB connection. The MacBook is plenty powerful to do whatever you want in the field...... just don't ask it to keep up with a 4GH intel desktop chip.

Victor

jagsiva

I did not think the MacBook 12" came in i5 or i7. They only offer core M3 or M5, the intel mobile processors. Nonetheless, the end result seems to be working well here.

vjbelle

Yes...... you are correct. It is an m5 or m7 series - an i5/7 series would definitely require active cooling.

Victor

jng

Thanks for the clarifications and update... I think the model with m5 processor and 512 Gb SSD looks about right for me.

Re: USB-C connection - I actually found a USB-C - USB-B cable surfing around on the web. I might try using one of these rather than the adapter, but it's good to know that form factor aside, the adapter is a non-issue.

- John

vjbelle

The m5 and 512 SSD is exactly what I have... is reasonably priced and, for me, perfect for travel. I should add that the keyboard is slightly smaller than a full size keyboard and just requires a little more accuracy with fingers. The trackpad though is fantastic and even though I have a BT mouse it mostly isn't necessary. I'm sure you'll be happy......

Victor

Geoff

Slightly to the side of this, I've had good luck tethering a Credo 60 on a Macbook Air with C1. Its a pretty easy combination, and the USB connection works easily. Fast enough to check focus, and even do some moderate field processing.

kdphotography

Victor,

...I'd also be interested in finding a light and compact solution for supporting the computer on the tripod, like Ken Doo does for the Surface Pro, although the new Macbook is so light I suppose I could just set it down on top of my camera pack and hold it with one hand while using it.

- John
Since getting the IQ3 100MP with hdmi, I haven't had the need to tether anymore with the Surface Pro. The SmallHD monitor and Sidefinder work great with the Cambo. I did borrow from the clamping options---which I find are cheaper, smaller and lighter than the "fancy" alternatives provided by SmallHD. I still use the Surface Pro as my travel computer. The MFDBs with USB3 (but no hdmi) have a lot of tethering and clamping options available.

ken

jng

The MFDBs with USB3 (but no hdmi) have a lot of tethering and clamping options available.
Ken,

Well, if for whatever reason you decide to come up with a tripod clamping set-up for the new Macbook, please let me know. And bring it to Bluff next Spring! :)

John

kdphotography

My tripod clamping efforts were focused on the Surface Pro---which has a tablet form factor. But I'll try and remember to bring all the clamp parts and pieces to CI in the Southwest in April 2017, and you can help yourself. You just might be able to put together something for your Macbook or get some clamping ideas. Graham Welland probably has some good ideas there too. :) ken

jng

Thanks, Ken! I look forward to it. In the meantime I'll go with the lightest weight solution, which will be resting the computer on my camera pack!

vjbelle

Since getting the IQ3 100MP with hdmi, I haven't had the need to tether anymore with the Surface Pro. The SmallHD monitor and Sidefinder work great with the Cambo. I did borrow from the clamping options---which I find are cheaper, smaller and lighter than the "fancy" alternatives provided by SmallHD. I still use the Surface Pro as my travel computer. The MFDBs with USB3 (but no hdmi) have a lot of tethering and clamping options available.

ken
I have tried tethering and also an iPad with capture pilot. Aside from the extra bulk my experiences are that even the tethered image at 100% pixels isn't as clear or accurate as my Peak 4X loupe and the LCD screen. I found the iPad extremely clumsy and capture pilot buggy. I also considered the SmallHD but it really makes no sense to me since its extra bulk and (although I've never tried it) more than likely not as accurate as my loupe.

Victor

kdphotography

Hi Victor,

The iPad and Capture Pilot is definitely limited with regard to true tethering capability compared to the quality of tethering to the Surface Pro or other computer capable of viewing the actual RAW file at 100% or greater on C1 Pro. The Surface Pro was groundbreaking combined with USB3 capability of the newer MFDBs. Now, we have even more options to choose from. :thumbup:

vjbelle

Hi Ken..... Yes its good we have more choices now with respect to smaller computers. Your positive postings were one of the reasons for my initial purchase of a Surface Pro 4. I really like the Windows operating system and would have purchased a successor to my original Surface but I needed something light for my Italy trip and the MacBook was there and the Surface successor wasn't. Also even though it may not seem like a lot the MacBook is 1/2 lb. lighter. Every 1/2 lb. is important when lugging stuff around. My next major trip is to Lofoten, Norway (not with any group) where I can't in my wildest dreams imagine tethering of any sort. I'm anticipating windy conditions and how I'll cope with them with my Actus especially since I like to use longer lenses. Anyway..... these are good times for photo gear and computers.

Victor

kdphotography

A half pound is actually quite a bit and adds up quickly when space and weight is at a premium. In those situations, I'm happy using just the screen of the IQ3, and don't feel I'm skimping a bit!

Have a great trip to Lofoten----definitely a bucket list trip for me.

ken