The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV-60c or 100c

DB5

To me it's hard to escape the allure of the Hasselblad V. Count me as one of the people who have lamented the move to the ugly and dull H series.

I don't think a 6x6 full frame back will ever happen, at least in my lifetime, but what do people think the chances of us seeing a CMOS back from Hasselblad that covers the entire 645 frame? Perhaps now DJI has taken over, the chances are less?

I would love nothing more than a full frame 645 CMOS back to use on my extensive kit and I really hope it happens some day.

jduncan

To me it's hard to escape the allure of the Hasselblad V. Count me as one of the people who have lamented the move to the ugly and dull H series.

I don't think a 6x6 full frame back will ever happen, at least in my lifetime, but what do people think the chances of us seeing a CMOS back from Hasselblad that covers the entire 645 frame? Perhaps now DJI has taken over, the chances are less?

I would love nothing more than a full frame 645 CMOS back to use on my extensive kit and I really hope it happens some day.
I am not sure what the question is.
Clearly for any professional use, if money is not an object, the H6D-100c is a better machine.
It has better lenses (at least in scientific terms), autofocus, 4K video, accessories, can also shoot film, has support for GPS, can shoot the V lenses if you prefer them. It's simply a far better machine.

The square medium format is possible, but I will say down: a 42mm x 42mm sensor could be derived from the 100mp sensor. I don't see the point, you can crop and most people, in particular, young people, thinks in wide formats. Mirrorless can easily crop the image for you and presented it cropped on the viewfinder.
The sense of the square sensor is that you could use faulty masked "4::3 full frame" sensors. People seem to be willing to pay a premium for them.

Best regards,

I strongly doubt it. We are now in an electronic era, so technology advancement is at a fast pace. By the time someone up-scales the 100MP 645 sensor to a larger format such as 6x7 with practical yield and cost, it's always more likely that some newer and fancier technology (e.g. organic sensor, curved sensor etc) would already have been on the way for a smaller format.

Example 1: the IQ180 was released in 2011, but the Nikon D800E was released in 2012 with much better dynamic range. Example 2: the IQ250 was released in 2014, but the Sony A7R-II was released in 2015 with a BSI design.

We're gonna have to wait until the technology advancement settles down and there's little room to improve for MP, DR, ISO, ES etc. It's still a long way to go, so get prepared for these upcoming monkey sink! ;D

Well you didn't say what kind of work you do... But if you are so married to 6x6 why not just shoot 6x6? If you're even considering medium format digital then surely you have the budget for a Flextight scanner. You can keep using your V system, you can keep shooting square, you will have massive files, your work will be actually archival (film in sleeves) as opposed to theoretically archival (digital images), and even Ektachrome is coming back!

But if you must shoot digital, then yes there are many 'FF 645' backs to choose from. The IQ3100 can probably be ordered in Hasselblad universal mount. Using it on a V camera sounds like a living nightmare but if you can manage to focus the thing it will make nice images I'm sure.

jng

Using it on a V camera sounds like a living nightmare but if you can manage to focus the thing it will make nice images I'm sure.
+1 (from my own experience with a V mount 60 Mp IQ160 back :p)

Seriously, though, for still life and some landscape work, one way to shoot square is to employ vertical shifts using a Flexbody followed by stitching. I don't think this is a viable approach from a commercial standpoint but as an avocation it's all rather enjoyable.

John

bab

Please drop an email to Hasselblad requesting integrated step focusing it's been on the request list and the more people that ask the faster they might complete the firmware update including it.
Send email to Hasselblad

Admin note: In an open forum DO NOT use the actual email address as bots pick them up and add them to spam lists.

Last edited by a moderator:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I would be sure that it depends on if Hasselblad think there would be enough customers paying the quite high price.

That sensor is probable very expensive, due to the large size of the sensor chip.

Making a 100 MP 44x33 sensor would not be very expensive but making it 54x40 mm would be more than twice the cost of the smaller sensor. So, a VFC back is possible, but very expensive and that is essentially entirely due to the size of the sensor.

Best regards
Erik

DB5

Well you didn't say what kind of work you do... But if you are so married to 6x6 why not just shoot 6x6? If you're even considering medium format digital then surely you have the budget for a Flextight scanner. You can keep using your V system, you can keep shooting square, you will have massive files, your work will be actually archival (film in sleeves) as opposed to theoretically archival (digital images), and even Ektachrome is coming back!

But if you must shoot digital, then yes there are many 'FF 645' backs to choose from. The IQ3100 can probably be ordered in Hasselblad universal mount. Using it on a V camera sounds like a living nightmare but if you can manage to focus the thing it will make nice images I'm sure.
Hi Speedgraphic,

I shoot all sorts of thing, but mainly people. Actually you touch on why I see the V so favourable, I can shoot 6x6 film, hopefully predominantly, but also be able to provide a digital solution for client who need it, while retaining lens aesthetics and characteristics across both platforms, which is really important.

i've used the V with an 80MP back and while it was more challenging it was fine. It worked out well int he end. I might contact Phase One and ask if what you suggest is possible with a V Mount. But I would not be able to use all lenses with the Phase One back (Focal Plane Shutter lenses), which is a major downer - The CFV does work with them, hence this post.

I find the Hasselblad V the most inspiring camera. I've used the Phase Ones and the H and while they are incredible machines they just feel more like computers than cameras and I don't have the same affinity from the lenses as I get with the Zeiss V's. The only system that has come close for me is the S, but well that's a whole other story and there are plenty of threads about that already.

PSon

It is hard to completedly rule out the possibility of differences in the eyes that see them. I would have love the Hasselblad H camera much much more if it has the the focal plane shutter to use the Hasselblad Carl Zeiss V 200 and 2000 series lens. In my belief these lens are classic and they help to separate the Hasselblad V from other systems. So then why not adapt them to the Phase One/Mamiya and Contax 645 focal plane systems? For me I did and still use them, but I prefer the Hasselblad digital back colors more. Therefore the only route to get the lens characters and colors combination is with the CFV-16, CFV-16 II, CFV-39, CFV-50, and CFV-50c digital backs. The CFV-39, CFV-50 and CFV-50c's sensors are not square to use on the Hasselblad 200 series cameras, leaving only the CFV-16 and CFV-16 II digital backs to be the most ideal solutions. These digital backs are only 16 high quality megapixels in good light. I believe for those photographers who see similarity to my view would very much appreciate a full 6x6 digital sensors both CCD and CMOS. I have no hope for the CCD version.
Finally, besides the lens and color of the digital back, I love the Hasselblad V cameras. For some these cameras are not unique, but for those that share my view think very highly of the design of this special camera.